UKIP

Im_Rodger

The McWhirter twins founded, as well as "fronted", the Guinness Book of Records. Ross was murdered by the Provisional IRA in the 70s. There have been much more sinister far righters than them - especially in the National Front, the BNP and the various splinter parties.

The difference between the BNP/NF etc were no more than brown shirt window smashers that were highly infiltrated by the state.

The brothers Grimm were sneaking about with others in the British establishment talking about taking out the Wilson government.

Edited by Glenconner

I've always wondered why the far right gets a disproportionate anount of media coverage compared to left wing parties like Greens, Solidarity, SSP who have all outperformed the far right in elections.

Is it because they fear the rise of the far right more than the left or do they actually sympathise with their viewpoints?

In what way have the "far left" (I don't count the Greens as part of the far left) 'outperformed' the far right since, well, the turn of the century?

The reality is that the BNP and UKIP are way ahead of Solidarity/ the SSP / TUSC during that period, electorally. 2 MEPs and coming ithing a whisker of running a London council, a member of the London assembly, umpteen councillors across England. Even in the period now, where the far right are strugglign to get electoed, their share of the vote is miles ahead of whatever the far left can muster.

your premise is completely false. The flames are fanned by a populist tabloid media but that is a symptom of the rise of the far right, rather than the cause.

In what way have the "far left" (I don't count the Greens as part of the far left) 'outperformed' the far right since, well, the turn of the century?

The reality is that the BNP and UKIP are way ahead of Solidarity/ the SSP / TUSC during that period, electorally. 2 MEPs and coming ithing a whisker of running a London council, a member of the London assembly, umpteen councillors across England. Even in the period now, where the far right are strugglign to get electoed, their share of the vote is miles ahead of whatever the far left can muster.

your premise is completely false. The flames are fanned by a populist tabloid media but that is a symptom of the rise of the far right, rather than the cause.

Other than the 1 Ukip MEP in Scotland elected with 24/7 BBC coverage, what else have the far right done in Scotland.

The Ukip went from their high in the Euro elections back to joke figures in May.

Their entire 4/5 million votes in May were in England/Wales.

Scottish Ukip vote May 2015 election 47,000.

That wouldn't be enough to get them a seat in the Edinburgh Parliament if scattered across Scotland plus no doubt with an going Uber Unionist stop the SNP campaign.

Most far rightists will probably vote Labour in Scotland going by they post on their websites.

I was referring to the UK, not Scotland alone. Scotland does have a proud record of not tolerating fascists, never mind voting for them; thinking back to the far right being given a severe doing on more than one occasion in Glasgow in the 90s, and Griffin being chased from the city when he tried to exploit the murder of Kriss Donald more recently.

It was a different story in places like Burnley, Dagenham, the West Midlands, parts of Essex and Kent, not so long ago. Moreoever even when failing to be elected the far right have regularly polled over 20% in local elections there, with the ultra left returning a derisory less than 2% in most of these cases.

in the present time UKIP's opportunist strategy of trying to ensconse themselves as a left-alternative tio Labour in former indistrial northern seats, whilst being foaming at the mouth Thatcherites in the Home Counties, has seen them polling bigger numbers than anyone would have imagined a few years ago. Four million votes last May is a pretty major slice of electoral opinion.

Hence my argument that it is complacent and foolish to dismiss the presence of far right parties on the electoral landscape, as a passing fad which will blow over.

I was referring to the UK, not Scotland alone. Scotland does have a proud record of not tolerating fascists, never mind voting for them; thinking back to the far right being given a severe doing on more than one occasion in Glasgow in the 90s, and Griffin being chased from the city when he tried to exploit the murder of Kriss Donald more recently.

It was a different story in places like Burnley, Dagenham, the West Midlands, parts of Essex and Kent, not so long ago. Moreoever even when failing to be elected the far right have regularly polled over 20% in local elections there, with the ultra left returning a derisory less than 2% in most of these cases.

in the present time UKIP's opportunist strategy of trying to ensconse themselves as a left-alternative tio Labour in former indistrial northern seats, whilst being foaming at the mouth Thatcherites in the Home Counties, has seen them polling bigger numbers than anyone would have imagined a few years ago. Four million votes last May is a pretty major slice of electoral opinion.

Hence my argument that it is complacent and foolish to dismiss the presence of far right parties on the electoral landscape, as a passing fad which will blow over.

I'd say there wasn't much in it between most rightwingers and most Vichy sorry No voters in Scotland.

Seriously Jim Murphy Labour man.

Aye right.

• 1 month later...

The chairman of Scottish UKIP, the wonderfully named Arthur Misty Thackeray, has stood down after being arrested and accused of tmaking "sexual phone calls".

Good.

A somewhat unpleasant individual who made his crust from the more unpleasant side of the "security trade" & was a director of a firm that employed a 15 year old boy as a security guard who was killed on his first night of work.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12077372.Blast_killed_security_youth_Teenager_who_refused_to_attend_school_died_on_first_day_at_work/

Not Ukip but they are linked apparently... and who wouldn't be. The EDL are led by the modern day Jesus Christ. And we all thought he was some bearded hipster from Palestine...

And, they have a woman member. I thought it was male-only at BF?

12646974_928801300538927_726655250788725

Edited by AnCrùbag

Just saw that. He's not the first beast to be outed in Ukip apparently.

Never mind that, we should all be scared of gay marriage causing gay weather problems...

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/1341034-ukips-scottish-chairman-resigns-after-court-appearance-for-sex-calls/

your really quoting a statement from like years ago and has nothing to do with how UKIP view gay rights..

I haven't seen Politics Scotland, the Sunday Politics or the Daily Politics yet acknowledge the Misty Thackeray story. Suddenly UKIP is not the important, mainstream party they usually treat it as when one of its chairmen is a perve.

Edited by Antlion

Not Ukip but they are linked apparently... and who wouldn't be. The EDL are led by the modern day Jesus Christ. And we all thought he was some bearded hipster from Palestine...

And, they have a woman member. I thought it was male-only at BF?

12646974_928801300538927_726655250788725

Britain First seen to be a rebranding of N.F. Or whatever they are known as.