UKIP

Im_Rodger

She is citing personal reasons, although without any specifics, but the main reason she's come up with is:

"it has become clear that I do not have sufficient authority, nor the full support of all my MEP colleagues and party officers to implement changes I believe necessary and upon which I based my campaign."

Sounds like a party in turmoil, once again.  Interesting to see if they can drum up a leadership candidate, apart from Nige, who they are all prepared to fall behind.  Not sure any of the names floated about have 'sufficient authority' within the party to stave off a split, or potentially splits.

Farage claims he is back, for now at least:

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Farage said would stay on as interim leader until a fresh election was held to find Ms James' successor.
"I keep trying to escape... and before I'm finally free they drag me back," he joked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37561065

Being UKIP of course nothing is quite that straightforward, as at least one faction doesn't seem to want him back even on an 'interim' basis, what with Neil Hamilton having:

"contested that Mr Farage was interim leader, saying it was for UKIP's ruling body to appoint an interim leader and that he would like MEP Paul Nuttall to take on that role."

So they can't even agree on who might be temporarily in charge it seems.  Hamilton may just have taken the huff after these comments from his former/current leader:

Asked about speculation that Welsh UKIP leader Neil Hamilton could be installed as interim leader by the party's national executive committee, Mr Farage said: "Really? Well we'll have to see about that won't we.

"I do not see any prospect of that horror story coming to pass," he said, adding that Mr Hamilton "doesn't do our public image a whole host of good".

At this rate they'll be lucky to last out the year without splintering.

19 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Farage said would stay on as interim leader until a fresh election was held to find Ms James' successor.
"I keep trying to escape... and before I'm finally free they drag me back," he joked.

Being UKIP of course nothing is quite that straightforward, as at least one faction doesn't seem to want him back even on an 'interim' basis, what with Neil Hamilton having:

"contested that Mr Farage was interim leader, saying it was for UKIP's ruling body to appoint an interim leader and that he would like MEP Paul Nuttall to take on that role."

So they can't even agree on who might be temporarily in charge it seems.  Hamilton may just have taken the huff after these comments from his former/current leader:

Asked about speculation that Welsh UKIP leader Neil Hamilton could be installed as interim leader by the party's national executive committee, Mr Farage said: "Really? Well we'll have to see about that won't we.

"I do not see any prospect of that horror story coming to pass," he said, adding that Mr Hamilton "doesn't do our public image a whole host of good".

That's just laughable.  It's like the last days of the BNP before it combusted.  

55 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Farage is wrong and can only become Interim Leader if he is appointed by the NEC. Hamilton is correct as UKIP's constitution (http://www.ukip.org/the_constitution) states

"7.5  A leadership election shall be called:

a)    in the event of the Party Leader's death, incapacity or resignation; or
b)    on the passing of a vote of no confidence in the Party Leader by the NEC if this is endorsed by an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Party; or
c)    upon the Party Leader's completion of his term of office.

Such election shall be held within 90 days of the completion of the Leader's term of office.

7.11  Where a vacancy in the Party Leadership occurs unexpectedly, the NEC shall within fourteen days appoint an Interim Leader to lead the Party until a Leadership election takes place. Such Interim Leader shall have all the powers of the Party Leader under this Constitution as if he had been elected to that post."

Edited by Bishop Briggs

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Farage is wrong and can only become Interim Leader if he is appointed by the NEC. Hamilton is correct as UKIP's constitution (http://www.ukip.org/the_constitution) states

"7.5  A leadership election shall be called:

a)    in the event of the Party Leader's death, incapacity or resignation; or
b)    on the passing of a vote of no confidence in the Party Leader by the NEC if this is endorsed by an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Party; or
c)    upon the Party Leader's completion of his term of office.

Such election shall be held within 90 days of the completion of the Leader's term of office.

7.11  Where a vacancy in the Party Leadership occurs unexpectedly, the NEC shall within fourteen days appoint an Interim Leader to lead the Party until a Leadership election takes place. Such Interim Leader shall have all the powers of the Party Leader under this Constitution as if he had been elected to that post."

Farage seems to be taking the line that Diane James (perhaps deliberately) never got around to completing the correct paperwork to become leader, hence technically he's always been leader and will continue to be until someone else is elected (and fills in the proper forms). He seems to be ignoring the fact he had resigned previously and evidently will try to argue he hadn't 'completed his term of office' due to the new leader not having been properly appointed.  According to the Guardian his position will be that:

"he had spoken to the Electoral Commission, which confirmed he was technically still leader."  Mostly on the basis that they don't seem to have updated their records to put James down as leader, regardless of what UKIP might have done internally.

Evidently the Hamilton faction is taking the line that he did step down and James was leader (or at least there was a vacancy), and that therefore the NEC should appoint an interim figure.

Interesting the constitution you've quoted says the NEC has to act and appoint an interim leader in 14 days, whilst entirely coincidentally some within UKIP want there to be a snap election of a new leader within exactly that period.  Almost as if some inside the party want to either ditch Farage or avoid appointing anyone else to the leadership on a temporary basis and skip straight to getting their man/woman behind the desk, so to speak. 

To add to the confusion Paul Oakden, the party chairman, has said that not only is Farage not leader but that there isn't currently even a vacancy:

Earlier Paul Oakden, the Ukip chairman, when asked who was currently leader of the party, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “In my mind it is Diane James; she has quit indeed, but that doesn’t mean she is not the leader until a new leader is appointed.”

But he said he would consult the Electoral Commission on Wednesday, adding: “If they still have Nigel Farage down as leader, that will make it a very interesting day for me, I suspect.”

So Farage is still leader and James never was leader.  Or James is still leader and Farage has no authority.  Or neither of them are leader and in fact there is a vacancy at the top of UKIP, and they need to appoint an interim leader.  Or not bother and just have a snap election.  

This has all the hallmarks of a mess that could lead to legal challenges, splits and the sort of political infighting that will chase away any potential big-money backers and lead them into a steady spiral into irrelevance.  Of course they may somehow get their act together and find a figure that they can all unite behind, but at this stage that looks a tall order indeed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/05/nigel-farage-says-he-may-technically-still-be-ukip-leader

Edited by Redstarstranraer
Added the article for anyone interested

2 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Farage seems to be taking the line that Diane James (perhaps deliberately) never got around to completing the correct paperwork to become leader, hence technically he's always been leader and will continue to be until someone else is elected (and fills in the proper forms). He seems to be ignoring the fact he had resigned previously and evidently will try to argue he hadn't 'completed his term of office' due to the new leader not having been properly appointed.  According to the Guardian his position will be that:

"he had spoken to the Electoral Commission, which confirmed he was technically still leader."  Mostly on the basis that they don't seem to have updated their records to put James down as leader, regardless of what UKIP might have done internally.

Evidently the Hamilton faction is taking the line that he did step down and James was leader (or at least there was a vacancy), and that therefore the NEC should appoint an interim figure.

Interesting the constitution you've quoted says the NEC has to act and appoint an interim leader in 14 days, whilst entirely coincidentally some within UKIP want there to be a snap election of a new leader within exactly that period.  Almost as if some inside the party want to either ditch Farage or avoid appointing anyone else to the leadership on a temporary basis and skip straight to getting their man/woman behind the desk, so to speak. 

To add to the confusion Paul Oakden, the party chairman, has said that not only is Farage not leader but that there isn't currently even a vacancy:

Earlier Paul Oakden, the Ukip chairman, when asked who was currently leader of the party, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “In my mind it is Diane James; she has quit indeed, but that doesn’t mean she is not the leader until a new leader is appointed.”

But he said he would consult the Electoral Commission on Wednesday, adding: “If they still have Nigel Farage down as leader, that will make it a very interesting day for me, I suspect.”

So Farage is still leader and James never was leader.  Or James is still leader and Farage has no authority.  Or neither of them are leader and in fact there is a vacancy at the top of UKIP, and they need to appoint an interim leader.  Or not bother and just have a snap election.  

This has all the hallmarks of a mess that could lead to legal challenges, splits and the sort of political infighting that will chase away any potential big-money backers and lead them into a steady spiral into irrelevance.  Of course they may somehow get their act together and find a figure that they can all unite behind, but at this stage that looks a tall order indeed.

James was declared the Leader at the UKIP conference. Even if UKIP has not filed the necessary documents with the Electoral Commission, she was still Leader. There is nothing in the constitution that to say that the Electoral Commission needs to be informed for a Leadership election to be valid. James needs to resign officially and then it is up to the NEC to appoint an interim Leader. Farage has no authority and is trying to grab back power temporarily. 

James was declared the Leader at the UKIP conference. Even if UKIP has not filed the necessary documents with the Electoral Commission, she was still Leader. There is nothing in the constitution that to say that the Electoral Commission needs to be informed for a Leadership election to be valid. James needs to resign officially and then it is up to the NEC to appoint an interim Leader. Farage has no authority and is trying to grab back power temporarily. 

It must be great to be so certain about everything when even the UKIP chairman hasn't a clue what the situation is.

I wonder how many UKIP members and voters are aware of this part of the party's constitution.

"2.5  The Party is a democratic, libertarian Party and will espouse policies which:

•    promote and encourage those who aspire to improve their personal situation and those who seek to be self-reliant, whilst providing protection for those genuinely in need;
•    favour the ability of individuals to make decisions in respect of themselves;
•    seek to diminish the role of the State;
•    lower the burden of taxation on individuals and businesses;
•    ensure proper control over the United Kingdom’s borders;
•    strengthen and guarantee the essential, traditional freedoms and liberties of all people in the United Kingdom."

"All people in the UK" includes migrants.

44 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Tell that to Paul Oakden.  Glenn Campbell reporting on the BBC website that:

The chairman of UKIP, Paul Oakden, has confirmed that Nigel Farage is the party's acting leader.

Mr Farage said he would take temporary charge after Diane James unexpectedly quit after only 18 days in the job. But his leadership claim was disputed by Neil Hamilton, who is UKIP's leader in the Welsh Assembly.

Mr Hamilton said it was for the party's ruling body - the national executive committee - to make an appointment. Mr Oakden told the BBC News Channel he had spoken to a majority of those on UKIP's executive and they were "grateful and glad" to have Mr Farage in acting charge.

He said Mr Farage was "technically and legally" the leader because the appointment of Diane James had not been formally registered with the Electoral Commission. Mr Oakden said there would now be a fresh leadership contest, in which Mr Farage would not be a candidate, and that UKIP should have a new boss by the end of November.

Hamilton and his faction might be technically and legally correct, but seems that Farage has enough support for his 'power grab' to succeed unless they mount a legal challenge.  Of course this is UKIP so there'll no doubt be another volte face by the end of the week.  Seems Farage wants to handle the process of appointing his successor (again).

5 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Tell that to Paul Oakden.  Glenn Campbell reporting on the BBC website that:

The chairman of UKIP, Paul Oakden, has confirmed that Nigel Farage is the party's acting leader.

Mr Farage said he would take temporary charge after Diane James unexpectedly quit after only 18 days in the job. But his leadership claim was disputed by Neil Hamilton, who is UKIP's leader in the Welsh Assembly.

Mr Hamilton said it was for the party's ruling body - the national executive committee - to make an appointment. Mr Oakden told the BBC News Channel he had spoken to a majority of those on UKIP's executive and they were "grateful and glad" to have Mr Farage in acting charge.

He said Mr Farage was "technically and legally" the leader because the appointment of Diane James had not been formally registered with the Electoral Commission. Mr Oakden said there would now be a fresh leadership contest, in which Mr Farage would not be a candidate, and that UKIP should have a new boss by the end of November.

Hamilton and his faction might be technically and legally correct, but seems that Farage has enough support for his 'power grab' to succeed unless they mount a legal challenge.  Of course this is UKIP so there'll no doubt be another volte face by the end of the week.  Seems Farage wants to handle the process of appointing his successor (again).

Oakden needs to enforce the constitution and stand up to Farage. AFAIK Hamilton does not have faction or power base in UKIP. This power grab could be challenged in the courts.