Abstract thoughts.

SANTAN

Hi guys, SSI from another time dimension here.

Just popping in to say EGB, nobody cares about your existence now (your time).

Bye.

If you say that again next time you're getting jibbed.

What came first, the colour orange or the fruit.

If it was the fruit, why wasn't it called a blue?

1) The fruit came first.

2) Cos.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all the main problems in society never really existed and things had always been generally far, far better, would we all be much happier or would we think the more minor problems that existed were as big a deal as the bigger ones we face now?

ETA: UTN, not in my gaff it's not.

If there was a big crash in humanity and it took a few hundred years to rediscover current technology, I'd be really intrigued to see what they'd make of this time's social media (if it survived and was discovered). I often wonder what they would make of it as there's such a deluge of garbage information, everyone has an opinion on current events and culture, as well as shitey local events. Think how difficult it would be to piece together actual important events from pretty insignificant ones. Would Balloteli be thought of as some kind of demi-god? Would Katie Hopkins be thought of as some type of authority? What would they make of harlem shake/ice bucket challenges ect. Endless questions.

We dont know either of those things though. Theoretically yes, but not definitively.

Of course we know them. The laws of physics allow us to know what will happen with precision in the same way that we can predict exactly the orbits of the planets, when there will be a returning comet or when the next solar eclipse is.

We observe the births and deaths of solar systems around other star systems in the Milky Way.

I won't argue with you on science, but that's not really the point. Even if people think they know how the solar system started, there can always be the question, "what came before that"? An explosion of gasses caused the big bang which started the solar system? Where did those gasses come from? You can never get to the point where literally nothing exists and you're able to understand that, or the idea that literally nothing existed going back to an infinite amount of time before everything eventually started happening.

What if whenever the solar system ends there's nothing but floating gasses, and then they explode to start the big bang, where everything happens in exactly the same way again? Then again, and again, and again times infinity. What if hundreds of billions of years from now I'm on this website typing this out again?

In addition to my reply to Dee Man: obviously it's essentially impossible to know certain specific details and there are some gaps in human understanding of this, but we do know the fundamental processes as to how solar systems evolve and eventually die.

Everything in the cosmos simply cannot last forever. Entropy dictates this.

Yet we still don't know what came befoe solar systems, or before the things that made up solar systems anyway. We don't know what will happen after they die either.

Clearly humans haven't got their head round the idea of everything starting. There's always a "what about before that".

I don't know if it'll be 100 years from now, but there's plenty of aspects of even the most advanced societies that are on the way to being laughed at as backwards nonsense, albeit painfully slowly.

Living your life by the rules of an imaginary fairy in the sky, killing people over it, social class constructs, hating people for things they can do nothing about like their race, sexuality, gender, nationality etc, worshipping monarchies who exist purely to give us the opportunity to have a sense of servitude, the popularity of Ed Sheeran, I could go on.

We think of ourselves as extremely advanced because of the way past societies were (and in may ways we are), but the evolution process is far from finished IMO.

I won't argue with you on science, but that's not really the point. Even if people think they know how the solar system started, there can always be the question, "what came before that"? An explosion of gasses caused the big bang which started the solar system? Where did those gasses come from? You can never get to the point where literally nothing exists and you're able to understand that, or the idea that literally nothing existed going back to an infinite amount of time before everything eventually started happening.

What if whenever the solar system ends there's nothing but floating gasses, and then they explode to start the big bang, where everything happens in exactly the same way again? Then again, and again, and again times infinity. What if hundreds of billions of years from now I'm on this website typing this out again?

suso2.gifsuso2.gifsuso2.gif

Have you inadvertently discovered the origins of Seamus?

In addition to my reply to Dee Man: obviously it's essentially impossible to know certain specific details and there are some gaps in human understanding of this, but we do know the fundamental processes as to how solar systems evolve and eventually die.

Everything in the cosmos simply cannot last forever. Entropy dictates this.

I've just read back through a few posts and realised you wrote solar system and not universe. Please accept my humble apologies.

Yet we still don't know what came befoe solar systems, or before the things that made up solar systems anyway. We don't know what will happen after they die either.

Clearly humans haven't got their head round the idea of everything starting. There's always a "what about before that".

The fact that we don't know, I can take.

What I don't get is the need to make something up when we don't know - i.e. 'a big boy did it, and ran away.'

Back to the goat. I'd like a few things clarified;

- Does it need to be alive?

- Does it need to be conscious?

- Do you have to f**k it in a field or can you take it in to your bedroom?

- Can you dress the goat up?

- Can you tie the goat up?

- Does it need to be just you and the goat or can others join in?

Back to the goat. I'd like a few things clarified;

- Does it need to be alive?

- Does it need to be conscious?

- Do you have to f**k it in a field or can you take it in to your bedroom?

- Can you dress the goat up?

- Can you tie the goat up?

- Does it need to be just you and the goat or can others join in?

You can shag it in a pram if you like?

Has its existence been proven? I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

Consider individuals who chose to adopt children rather than procreate; from a purely evolutionary perspective this makes no sense, it offers no chance to pass on their genetic material to the next gene pool. This is also seen in various monkey populations, whereby mothers of newborns pass their children on for a considerable amount of time to "aunties" so they can go and reproduce more.

If you're of the opinion that all humans are inherently selfish then you may suggest foster parents adopt children and provide care for them for a degree of self-fulfilment and satisfaction instead of wanting to make sure a child gets a proper start at life.

Consider individuals who chose to adopt children rather than procreate; from a purely evolutionary perspective this makes no sense, it offers no chance to pass on their genetic material to the next gene pool. This is also seen in various monkey populations, whereby mothers of newborns pass their children on for a considerable amount of time to "aunties" so they can go and reproduce more.

If you're of the opinion that all humans are inherently selfish then you may suggest foster parents adopt children and provide care for them for a degree of self-fulfilment and satisfaction instead of wanting to make sure a child gets a proper start at life.

I know what it is, I said it wasn't proven.

Archived