The Scottish Cup Holders v Ross County

The Real Saints

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mention whatsoever from our esteemed TV chappies or disgruntled Staggies whilst discussing in full detail the 'penalty' County were denied that about 2 seconds before the ball hit Miller's hand his shirt was blatantly being pulled. The ref did get it wrong. It was a free kick to Saints.

John Beaton had a shocker if you go by the highlights

1st goal- Anderson active and offside.

Croft - possible Red

Millar - Hand to ball

Hey ho - they say these things even out over the season. Can't wait for the 2nd half of the season!!!

You can only be "active" (the wording in the laws is "involved in active play") if you are "interfering with play", "gaining an advantage" or "interfering with an opponent". The first two explicitly require the player to touch the ball, which Anderson didn't. That leaves "interfering with an opponent", which means "preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball".

Did he prevent anyone from playing the ball? No - the goalkeeper was never going to get there anyway.

Was he in the goalkeeper's (or anyone else's) line of vision? No.

Did he challenge the opponent for the ball? No.

The Miller handball could have been given, but it wasn't clear cut by any means.

Croft could have been sent off, but if he had been then you wouldn't have scored your goal.

Didn't think Mark Brown helped his cause any by just standing there waving his hand and not making any attempt to save the shot. Even if Anderson did touch it or try to the ball was still only going one place-low to his right. Anderson didn't impede his view and didn't play the ball, that's why the goal was given.

As identified above, the ball may have hit Miller's hand but I'd suggest he was clearly fouled by the guy who played it off him. Very few refs will give a penalty in any case when it hits a defender from a distance of a couple of feet.

We were ridiculous in the way we defended in periods yesterday, sitting deep and not pressing the ball until it was in our box. Despite that we still should have put the game to bed, even after we conceded. Some of the chances we passed up were ridiculous.

Don't think we were "horrendous" in the second half at all. We created loads of chances and should have won comfortably. The goal we gave away was pretty poor from a defensive point of view and obviously gives County a lift. Leads to us sitting back and inviting pressure but Graham could easily have scored twice (one he was unlucky with, the other poor finish) and Wotherspoon forced save from Brown. Only Graham hitting bar was shown on the highlights.

Jervis should have equalised after great ball by Cardle but thankfully didn't. I'm far from getting carrried away but at least we are now creating and scoring chances. The way McFadden and O'Halloran link up is very encouraging. Adding a fit Steven MacLean to that is exciting.

We won't be top six and we're not going to retain the cup but with a favourable draw we can go on a bit of a run. This is a far more positive position to be in than I felt even a month ago.

I meant to ask yesterday nut forgot. Does anyone know what happened betwee Dingwall and Lappin at the County goal?

Lappin was raging and pretty much chased him for a while, seemed to be indicating a slap or something

I meant to ask yesterday nut forgot. Does anyone know what happened betwee Dingwall and Lappin at the County goal?

Lappin was raging and pretty much chased him for a while, seemed to be indicating a slap or something

Something definitely happens, cause when County scored, Lappin was then switched to the left and at the halfway line before we kicked off kept motioning to Dingwall. Pretty sure he said "I'm gonna get you" as well based on my lip reading skills, shame he didn't, that said I'd happily take Dingwall when County go down.

Much like last Saturday, a strong feeling of frustration despite the result. A week ago it was not building on a strong first half and yesterday it was not learning from last week and letting County back into the game again. Thought in the league match we defended pretty well but didn't manage to create much and it was different in that sense yesterday as we did have opportunities to get a third goal after County scored but we also looked far more likely to concede. What was the same was that we surrendered possession too easily and didn't manage to hold onto the ball in midfield for any period of time and arguably it was the same players that went missing again.

We used to be adept at seeing games out once we established a lead but look pretty vulnerable now and obviously lost at home to Killie little over a month ago despite scoring first. Maybe a consequence of having four attacking players on the pitch? McFadden doesn't have the legs to work back too much and whilst Graham tries hard, he's not as effective defensively as MacLean or even May in defending from the front. You then have two of the thickest footballers in the league on either flank. We've seen what can happen when O'Halloran drops back with the goals conceded against St Mirren and Motherwell (not forgetting his concession of a stupid and potentially costly late free kick at Firhill) but Croft is a bit of a dope as well. I said last week I felt he was getting better and had put Ibrox behind him but he was careless at times yesterday, notably for the Reckford chance that forced Mannus into a good save. Just not sure the balance of the team will be right if we continue with both O'Halloran and Croft as well as McFadden and to a lesser extent Graham.

Obviously the form is much better with just the defeat to Rangers in the last six games but still don't feel we are looking particularly great. Do think the possibility of having Graham, McFadden, MacLean and Kane - as well as O'Halloran - as attacking options come January is encouraging though and hopeful that Lappin and Davidson will kick on over the next few weeks if they get more games.

Going back to the game and the coverage of it, feel that quite often both fans and media get caught up discussing refereeing decisions without having a relevant grip on the rules. If Sportscene are going to focus so much on referee decisions every week, would they not be better getting a referee on the panel rather than a former pro that doesn't fully understand the rules? You wouldn't ask Kenny Clark, for example, to explain why a team should have defended a goal better, so why ask Pat Nevin or Owen Coyle about refereeing decisions? I don't know if John Beaton was right to allow our goal to stand but would trust his judgement more than that of Nevin, Coyle or Richie Brittain. Of course referees will make mistakes but pundits quoting rules that don't exist helps nobody.

You just knew it was gonna be a long day when within a minute, Croft had let Reckford in round the back. I think that particular issue will be solved when Spoony hopefully gets back in the team ahead of Croft. His defensive work is better, plus he actually brings something to the team. Croft just hasn't done that recently.

Something definitely happens, cause when County scored, Lappin was then switched to the left and at the halfway line before we kicked off kept motioning to Dingwall.

Dingwall has taken a bit of treatment in both of the games. He's very raw and I can't make up my mind about him. His bundling style definitely caused us problems but there's not been much end product over 180 minutes of football and his attempt at goal yesterday when he had a great chance in the second half was dreadful. Will be interesting to see where his career takes him as I don't think it's obvious at the moment.

Yesterday was only his 3rd start. For me he has been the highlight of a rotten season for County so far and credit to McIntyre for giving him a chance, it didn't seem likely under Adams.

I thought he took some heavy treatment in the 2 games in Perth but he just dusts himself down and goes again. Watched him loads for U20s/DL and usually is our motm.

Very direct, his final pass/decision will improve and would flourish in a better team.

We were on a bit of a break which Lappin was looking to join by getting into the box. Dingwall pulled him back to stop him, the move broke down and County ended up scoring.

We were on a bit of a break which Lappin was looking to join by getting into the box. Dingwall pulled him back to stop him, the move broke down and County ended up scoring.

Was that it? Seems a bit weak for Lappin to have the reaction he did tbh, then again he does lose the head quite easily

Was that it? Seems a bit weak for Lappin to have the reaction he did tbh, then again he does lose the head quite easily

The f**k you on about with that last statement. I've tried to have time and patience with you, but you constantly post pish that only you can see.

He's never lost the head once, annoyed maybe, but lost it, never. Brian Graham on the other hand!

The f**k you on about with that last statement. I've tried to have time and patience with you, but you constantly post pish that only you can see.

He's never lost the head once, annoyed maybe, but lost it, never. Brian Graham on the other hand!

He lost it last week aswell when he went mental at the linesman and got booked

Archived