Do You Support Your Local Team?

I don't get this thing about changing your team when you relocate. Your team is your team.

This.

Since moving to Edinburgh I've probably picked up a Dundee influence more than anything else, just due to the pals I've been hanging around with. I've been to the Edinburgh clubs loads of times but almost always in the away end. Only at the tail end of last season did I take in any Hibs games without either the Dons or the Dees due to the cheap prices (fiver for a student!) of the play off matches.

Loved being in the Killie end for the Kris Boyd goal to save them from the play-offs, hated being in the Hibs end for the Hamilton goals, the Accies corner looked like such a bounce!!

The local team argument is all a bit pish. Yes there's no reason for you to support a team 100 miles away, but if I was born in Edinburgh or Glasgow there's no way my old man would have allowed me to support anyone other than Aberdeen.

Saying that, being born and bred in Aberdeen it allows me to take the moral high ground when I feel like it. Particularly with the local OFS, of which thankfully there is not as much as other areas of Scotland.

I don't get this thing about changing your team when you relocate. Your team is your team.

Pretty much. Grew up in Killie and if I wanted to watch football, why the feck wouldn't I go to the ground just up the road? I've watched other 'local' teams when I've had spells abroad on the same principle (Zenit St Petersburg and Sturm Graz) and still keep an eye on Zenit, and as I now live in Partick I've been in the home end at Firhill with a Thistle-supporting mate when Killie weren't playing and they were in the lower leagues, but nothing compares to watching Killie in terms of my emotional involvement. Kind of figure that if you cared enough about a team in the first place, then you couldn't change even if you wanted to.

Still don't live at Glasgow Airport though when you leave through it. Do you, sweetpea.

Antiochas III, if you want to support a non-league team go right ahead. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to support team that isn't part of the pyramid system and so can never be/become professional.

As for living abroad, absolutely. I think if you're Scottish you should always support at least one domestic team.

So you don't think people should support their local team. Gotta! Cheers for clearing that up.

I'm of the same opinion.

I'm from Perth and been a Saints fan since I was 6 (1978). I'm located in Lincolnshire now and for sure I'm not supporting Lincoln City. Or anyone else. Yes I may go to the odd match here and there but you can't beat going to see 'your' team :) Whoever it is ;)

If some people want/need to support teams elsewhere then that's up to them. Never quite understood it though eusa_think.gif

People are always going to end up supporting the first team they actually see or see when they are old enough to appreciate it, then your team becomes your team for life. For me I was taken to a Saints game against Hibs in 1980 and that was it. In Elite League Ice hockey I should follow Dundee Stars but my first game was a Fife Flyers game so that's my team in that sport.

I remember for PE at school in the mid 80's there were only 1 or 2 Saints kits on show and the class were mainly Dundee United and Aberdeen fans with a small amount of old firm yet by the time I finished school half the class were Saints fans

In my time as a BB officer and captain I've seen spells where half the kids were Rangers fans (never having set foot in Ibrox) but of the 20 kids that we see every week just now 4 have no interest in football, 1 supports Rangers, 1 Dundee United due to his dad being a United fan and the others go to some if not all of the Saints games in part due to the free kids offer. It could take a long time but if others did this you would have a generation of fans supporting a local team and supporting the old firm without living in Glasgow or having a Glasgow connection would seem pointless.

Even when n Glasgow for the games in the summer I was surprised at how many English or Spanish team shirts were on display. Do the local kids not support the old firm any more?

I'm of the same opinion.

I'm from Perth and been a Saints fan since I was 6 (1978). I'm located in Lincolnshire now and for sure I'm not supporting Lincoln City. Or anyone else. Yes I may go to the odd match here and there but you can't beat going to see 'your' team :) Whoever it is ;)

If some people want/need to support teams elsewhere then that's up to them. Never quite understood it though eusa_think.gif

what's wrong with the Imps ( my sister lives in Waddington)

who do you go to watch down there

What sort of young boy and even worse grown man wears tangerine. An easy choice for me, plus didn't fancy marrying my sister ;-). Dabby inbreds.

We have something in common.

I wouldn't want to marry your sister either.

My father grew up in Pollokshields, before it was invaded by the Indian army, attending Rangers games every week, and to be brutally honest I grew up in Inverness supporting Rangers while caring little for the fortunes of Inverness Caley. I'm not proud of this but I'm past the point of changing my team, despite it's enormous flaws I still have an emotional attachment to Rangers. Memories of me and my Dad heading down to Ibrox bursting with excitement to see a Champions League game, of happier times regarding footballing fortunes are too good to let go.

I understand that it's this mentality that has pushed Scottish football to where it is now, and I'd probably be the first to condemn someone for following in my "football heritage" footsteps but hey-ho. I blame my Dad for not telling me to support the local team which I would actively encourage in the case of my own children.

Edited by Geronimo

In my time as a BB officer and captain I've seen spells where half the kids were Rangers fans (never having set foot in Ibrox) but of the 20 kids that we see every week just now 4 have no interest in football,

So this is twice that The BB has been mentioned this week. I referred to being in The BB a few days ago.

When I was in 13th Motherwell BB we had Ross Mathie as an officer and BB football was huge. Every Saturday morning there'd be games between different BB companies between, say 13th Motherwell and 2/4 or the grudge match against 2nd Wishaw. They were always clatty b*****ds.

This is a wee bit of a whimsy for me for I am sure that the BB was one reason for football being a folksport in Scotland.

Edited by The_Kincardine

So this is twice that The BB has been mentioned this week. I referred to being in The BB a few days ago.

When I was in 13th Motherwell BB we had Ross Mathie as an officer and BB football was huge. Every Saturday morning there'd be games between different BB companies between, say 13th Motherwell and 2/4 or the grudge match against 2nd Wishaw. They were always clatty b*****ds.

This is a wee bit of a whimsy for me for I am sure that the BB was one reason for football being a folksport in Scotland.

If it was anything to do with the scouts it would be nak d wrestling.

Yes I support my local team, mainly due to having been introduced by my dad at an early age.

I don't really have a problem with folk supporting teams from miles away as long as they get to a handful of games.

Just can't wrap my head around all the plastics that claim to support a team but have never watched them in the flesh.

Mind you if everyone was the same life would be boring as f**k!