Queens v Rangers

Ok maybe saying it was a PR disaster was a wee bit OTT but in this day and age when a member of the public has money and has and is trying to spend yet cant, it's not a very good state of affairs.

If you wanted some shopping and Morrisons was closed you'd go Tesco's, it's not exactly good for business.

Not a good analogy, given that there is not another Championship club in a play off position playing a league game against one of the biggest clubs in Scotland in the region, never mind the town! Many businesses close half or full days during the week. Do you really think the club will lose more not opening than they would paying someone to keep the office open? It seems to me to be pretty common knowledge that the office is shut on Wednesdays, it been complained about for the last few weeks by basically the same one or two folk who seem to have an axe to grind with a club employee. I don't live in the town, yet I can manage to get tickets for games if I require without using online ordering, it's quite simple to ask someone to do the favour for you! What happens for all the folk that work Monday to Friday 9-5? This all seems very petty and designed just to have a dig at certain people from behind the anonymity of an online persona.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok maybe saying it was a PR disaster was a wee bit OTT but in this day and age when a member of the public has money and has and is trying to spend yet cant, it's not a very good state of affairs.

If you wanted some shopping and Morrisons was closed you'd go Tesco's, it's not exactly good for business.

That's true but if your father had always gone to Morrisons, you'd gone to Morrisons all your life, Morrisons were offering a far more superior product to Tesco and the nearest Tesco was 16 miles away then no I wouldn't shop at Tesco. I'd find a way to get what I wanted from Morrisons using the various methods that are well documented and publicised. Yer ain supermarket, is yer hame supermarket!

Perhaps those whining on Mad would be willing to offer their services, on an entirely volunteer basis because no doubt someone else would start whining about the Club employing "yet another" admin rather than spending money on the team, to sit in the office on Wednesdays and perhaps other weekdays between 5-9?

I called into Palmy today on the off chance I could get my ticket for Friday night, knowing fine well it's normally closed on a Wednesday. Thankfully it was open and I was able to secure my brief for the game.

The office lady (on what I presume is her day off) was very busy answering phone calls and carrying out normal day to day office duties. She dealt with me in a very pleasant and polite manner. Judging by other posters comments, it's the easiest thing in the world to moan and criticise somebody else whether it's merited or not. Rarely do people go out their way these days to praise others and spread a chunk of positive energy so credit where credits due in this case.......Well done Queens and hopefully a spot of good PR perhaps?! ;-)

'Mon the South :-)

I had the same problem a few weeks ago can't see why the shop can't be run from the arena

Where else would you go to watch a game?.....Annan, Stranraer, Hamilton, Morherwell???? For me and most other football fans that logic is a non starter......it's not like choosing a supermarket, it's about your team that's in your blood and nothing should ever change that.

Nobody nor anything is perfect in this life.......were you around during the Harkness regime??? That my friend was the ultimate PR disaster!

I had the same problem a few weeks ago can't see why the shop can't be run from the arena

Reading Skyline Drifters post would be a good starting point.

Seeing as we are going down to route of making comparisons with food retailers, I'd say trying to buy tickets from the Arena is like asking the lassie in the Spar shop on the Whitesands to post a parcel for you outside the working hours of the Post Office, or conversely trying to buy a pint of milk from the Post Office. They share a building but are separate companies.

Of all the pre-match threads to pick to bemoan the running of our club we choose this one, against comfortably the worst run club in the history of Scottish football. Reality check needed I think.

What an absolutely dreadful analagy that is. But running with it for a second, Tesco's is open 24 hours in Dumfries, Morrisons isn't. Presumably if Morrisons felt it was worth their while commercially to match Tesco's opening hours they would do so. Clearly they don't think it is necessary based on some degree of cost / benefit analysis. Do you think Morrisons SHOULD open because Tesco is? Is it a PR Disaster that they haven't? Have you complained to them about this? And every other retailer in Dumfries too while we're at it since Tesco sell just about everything.

At the end of the day if we felt there was a particular need to have additional out of hours opening for this game we'd have found a way to organise some. Tickets will be available on the night of the game so there was no great need and highlighting an individual case which is somehow unable or unwilling to use any of the ticket buying methods available to him does not remotely a "PR Disaster" make. It's not just "a wee bit OTT", it's complete hyperbole.

I called into Palmy today on the off chance I could get my ticket for Friday night, knowing fine well it's normally closed on a Wednesday. Thankfully it was open and I was able to secure my brief for the game.

The office lady (on what I presume is her day off) was very busy answering phone calls and carrying out normal day to day office duties. She dealt with me in a very pleasant and polite manner. Judging by other posters comments, it's the easiest thing in the world to moan and criticise somebody else whether it's merited or not. Rarely do people go out their way these days to praise others and spread a chunk of positive energy so credit where credits due in this case.......Well done Queens and hopefully a spot of good PR perhaps?! ;-)

'Mon the South :-)

:thumsup2 It would have been Victoria Thomson who served you presumably. She was in the office for more than half the day I believe. I was there briefly during lunch. I think Jim Thomson also sold some tickets at some point.

Who would you like to staff it? Certainly not the cafe staff who don't work for the club. If they had enough spare time to sell things from the club shop whilst employed by the cafe presumably they wouldn't be employed by the cafe!

Do you think additional sales in non-office hours would justify the club paying someone for several hours a day to do it? Or do you expect someone to sit in the shop voluntarily every night in case someone comes in?

The shop is open before and after each home match and can be accessed by calling at the club office during advertised club opening hours (9-4:30pm 4 days a week). It also has occasional promotional nights outside those hours which are advertised in advance. I doubt we're losing enough revenue outwith those hours that would justify employing someone to staff it.

Are people actually complaining that the office is (officially) shut one day a week, but tickets can still be bought online and over the phone???

They can't actually be bought online or over the phone now as it's too late to post them and we're not operating collections basically because there's no need and the office will be busy enough on the night without adding that traffic. They were removed from online availability overnight between Monday and Tuesday. The last orders placed were posted on Tuesday.

I know this is a bit off topic, but, out of interest, how does the Arena work? ie. is it a kind of franchise system ie. who employs the Cafe staff if Queens don't and how do Queens benefit. I take it the money for the rent of the pitches goes to Queens directly and the people who take that money are employed by Queens. Any idea, roughly, how much revenue the Arena brings in for Queens?

I know this is a bit off topic, but, out of interest, how does the Arena work? ie. is it a kind of franchise system ie. who employs the Cafe staff if Queens don't and how do Queens benefit. I take it the money for the rent of the pitches goes to Queens directly and the people who take that money are employed by Queens. Any idea, roughly, how much revenue the Arena brings in for Queens?

As far as I know, the pitches are Queens and the staff running those are employed by the club. Everything else are separate businesses. The likes of the physio and dance studio, presumably, pay rent to the club. Not sure how the cafe works in that respect, but it is definitely a separate business employing its own staff.

How many tickets have been sold for the game so far?

When I was in yesterday collecting my ticket, the club were hoping for a crowd in the region of 5-6k. Don't think we can hope for much more tbh what with Xmas round the corner and the game being televised and played on a Friday night.

When I was in yesterday collecting my ticket, the club were hoping for a crowd in the region of 5-6k. Don't think we can hope for much more tbh what with Xmas round the corner and the game being televised and played on a Friday night.

We've managed to get just over the 6,000 figure the last two times we played them in 2009 & 2013 .

Archived