The "Meh" Super Classico part 3!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kyle, you're correct. It's very difficult to narrow things down. After a bit of deliberation, I've finally decided on today's flashback. I've taken Radford's suggestion on board, but I'd like to point towards another moment in the same match which was equally significant. So, without further ado..

The 'Meh' Derby - Throwback Thursday

I'm going to take you on a return journey to Rugby Park for today's Meh Derby flashback, for how could anybody forget the notorious clash between Kilmarnock and St. Johnstone in March 2012?

On what I assume was a cold day, these two sides battled it out in an engrossing match. However, this game may be remembered most for its aggressive and feisty nature. It is no surprise that both clubs remember this particular game with little fondness and both sets of supporters regularly refer to it as 'Black Saturday'. Dean Shiels and Cillan Sheridan received red cards for their respective teams on this dramatic afternoon. James Fowler was lucky to avoid the same fate after kicking Marcus Haber for practicing ballet moves during the match.

mar12killie5.jpg

In terms of the football match itself, there were many game-changing moments throughout the ninety minutes. Many will point towards Dean Shiels' missed penalty as a real game-changing moment. However, there were many moments which could be seen as equally game-changing. I will be focusing on another one for today's Meh Derby flashback.

At some point during the match, Lee Croft's shirt was pulled by a Kilmarnock player. This resulted in a free-kick. If this incident hadn't taken place, the match would have continued and the events of the match would have unfolded in a completely different manner. This is why I deem it to be the game-changing moment of Black Saturday.

The match ended 0-0.

mar12killie4.jpg

Pictured: Lee Croft is dragged down to the ground by a Kilmarnock player. This particular match took place during Croft's first spell at Saints, before he departed and eventually returned. At the time, he stated that ''missing the Meh Derby'' was his main reason for coming back to Scotland. He has since revealed that he also missed the Killie pies.

Can't believe I missed the opportunity to use Mehxico when talking about it early in the thread but moving on from that disappointment, the management team are saying we may not risk McFadden on the artificial surface on Saturday. Imagine pretty much every Saints fan will be disappointed with that news, which is the biggest compliment you can pay him as regards his form over the past few matches. I wasn't sure about him when he signed but felt we needed to play him through those early weeks where he maybe wasn't doing much and he looks to have benefited from that with a string of decent performances coinciding with our upturn in form. He'll potentially be a big miss but would expect probably Croft to return, with Wotherspoon playing more centrally. Davidson's goalscoring record against Killie maybe makes a case for his inclusion but would suspect they'll go for the more positive option of Croft. Hopefully McFadden can at least take a spot on the bench.

McFadden has said in the past that he has a few issues with artificial pitches and struggles to play on them, so I personally wouldn't risk him picking up an injury. I wouldn't be expecting him to start in away matches against the likes of Kilmarnock and Hamilton. It's a shame, but probably for the best.

My favourite "Meh Derby" was when one of the finest ever players to pull on a St Johnstone strip scored a delightful goal to secure a draw at Rugby Park in 2011.

Disgraceful that this man is no longer playing professional football and is now working as a personal trainer. A fine player.

God bless ya, Cleve.

jan11killie1.jpg

My favourite "Meh Derby" was when one of the finest ever players to pull on a St Johnstone strip scored a delightful goal to secure a draw at Rugby Park in 2011.

Disgraceful that this man is no longer playing professional football and is now working as a personal trainer. A fine player.

God bless ya, Cleve.

jan11killie1.jpg

Who its?

Archived