Question Time

Elixir

Anyone else spot Andrew Neill assuring John Nicholson that Scots "don't see Scotland as a country. A nation maybe but not a country". Odd. Perhaps he should tell Ruthie and co, who seem to call the UK their country or Scotland their country depending on who they're talking to.

Anyone else spot Andrew Neill assuring John Nicholson that Scots "don't see Scotland as a country. A nation maybe but not a country". Odd. Perhaps he should tell Ruthie and co, who seem to call the UK their country or Scotland their country depending on who they're talking to.

Neil is just a wind-up merchant. He's quite good TV.

What was with the creepy bigot guy which doesn't seem to have been highlighted at all on social media on politics groups (even though on a weekly basis there's usually someone having a meltdown)?

If you are a certain race you have to be quiet when people are talking about racism

If you are a certain gender you need to be quiet when people are talking about sexism

And if you are English you should be quiet when people were talking about Scottish independence

Folk are not allowed opinions on those subjects based on what gender, race or nationality they are???

Bizarre

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

1 minute ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

What was with the creepy bigot guy which doesn't seem to have been highlighted at all on social media?

If you are a certain race you have to be quiet when people are talking about racism

If you are a certain gender you need to be quiet when people are talking about sexism

And if you are English you should be quiet when people were talking about Scottish independence

Folk are not allowed opinions on those subjects based on what gender, race or nationality they are???

Bizarre

I think his point was that Whites don't experience racism, men don't experience sexism and the English know f**k all about Scotland.

25 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I think his point was that Whites don't experience racism, men don't experience sexism and the English know f**k all about Scotland.

I got what he was trying to say but again its bizarre. Whites do experience racism, men do experience sexism and plenty of English know lots about Scotland. Even if they didn't why would they not be allowed an opinion on a subject? I don't get bullied for example but I have an opinion on bullies and on bullying in general.  I assume Scottish people shouldn't ever have an opinion on world events that don't directly effect them either? (TBF even that isn't a good comparison because Scottish independence does actually effect English people)

When did we become a society where we tell people to be quiet or not based on race, gender or nationality and not to be allowed an opinion on certain subjects

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

Just now, Fifes Elite Force said:

I got what he was trying to say but again its bizarre. Whites do experience racism, men do experience sexism and plenty of English know lots about Scotland. Even if they didn't why would they not be allowed an opinion on a subject? I don't get bullied for example but I have an opinion on bullies and on bullying in general.  I assume Scottish people shouldn't ever have an opinion on world events that don't directly effect them either? (TBF even that isn't a good comparison because Scottish independence does actually effect English people)

I agree with the first part of your post here.  I'm completely fine with anyone having an opinion on Scottish independence, of course it should be informed though.  Not raging mentalism.

I'm really not convinced that it would affect the English people very much though.  Sure, they might need to redesign a flag here and there, and Andy Murray will need to become a stupid Scotsman again but life will go on for most, relatively unchanged.

26 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

What was with the creepy bigot guy which doesn't seem to have been highlighted at all on social media on politics groups (even though on a weekly basis there's usually someone having a meltdown)?

Bizarre

The alt left are nearly as wanky as the alt right. Taking your sociopoltical ideology from American students and other morons is never a good idea.

Or, Welsh or Northern Irish, there's more than Scotland & England in this sham union.

Just now, Shades75 said:

I agree with the first part of your post here.  I'm completely fine with anyone having an opinion on Scottish independence, of course it should be informed though.  Not raging mentalism.

I'm really not convinced that it would affect the English people very much though.  Sure, they might need to redesign a flag here and there, and Andy Murray will need to become a stupid Scotsman again but life will go on for most, relatively unchanged.

cheers I'm not going mad then LOL

I does effect them tbf, it would mean no shared parliament, armed forces, budgets, cross border business relations will be effected a land border with a country will be in effect. That's just a small part of what will change for them there's loads more stuff too.

3 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Or, Welsh or Northern Irish, there's more than Scotland & England in this sham union.

True but the guy only referred to the English in his wee rant and it was an audience in England. I think he was probably English too or from planet tosspot

Just now, Fifes Elite Force said:

cheers I'm not going mad then LOL

I does effect them tbf, it would mean no shared parliament, armed forces, budgets, cross border business relations will be effected a land border with a country will be in effect. That's just a small part of what will change for them there's loads more stuff too.

I think there's a lot of high level things that will change, but not much that filter through to everyday life in meaningful ways.

The fact that England is 85-87% of the union means that most of the changes can be absorbed quite easily.  Budgets will be broadly the same (in fact, because we are "subsidy junkies", they'll be rolling in it 8)), the army will still be the army and will still fight stupid wars, and we're not sailing off into the North Sea so trading arrangements, after a deal is met can very much continue.  They will still share a parliament with Wales and NI, and Wales and NI will still have no meaningful influence in that parliament.

All the central and administrative operations of the UK will still be in England, and more exact, London.  The drain towards the south east will continue all be it that it will stop at Berwick.  Which is fine, because to the broadcasters, that's where "The north" ends anyway.

I just can't see ever day life being much different for the UK once we're gone.

9 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

I think there's a lot of high level things that will change, but not much that filter through to everyday life in meaningful ways.

The fact that England is 85-87% of the union means that most of the changes can be absorbed quite easily.  Budgets will be broadly the same (in fact, because we are "subsidy junkies", they'll be rolling in it 8)), the army will still be the army and will still fight stupid wars, and we're not sailing off into the North Sea so trading arrangements, after a deal is met can very much continue.  They will still share a parliament with Wales and NI, and Wales and NI will still have no meaningful influence in that parliament.

All the central and administrative operations of the UK will still be in England, and more exact, London.  The drain towards the south east will continue all be it that it will stop at Berwick.  Which is fine, because to the broadcasters, that's where "The north" ends anyway.

I just can't see ever day life being much different for the UK once we're gone.

I think it does effect them for all the reasons detailed above and numerous more but I get the feeling we won't agree. It wasn't really the crux of my point though, its a bit of a tangent. I don't really get why English people shouldn't be allowed an opinion. Its bizarre

8 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

I think it does effect them for all the reasons detailed above and numerous more but I get the feeling we won't agree. It wasn't really the crux of my point though, its a bit of a tangent. I don't really get why English people shouldn't be allowed an opinion. Its bizarre

Happy to agree to disagree.

I think most think that the English having an opinion is absolutely fine.  I think what happens though, and from what I hear on phone ins etc...., is that some of the most vocal and opiniated on the matter speak to us like we're stupid.  There doesn't seem to be much lovebombing going on, just bombing.

There you go again with "English"! If Scotland does choose to leave the Union, we are also choosing to leave Wales & NI as well as England.

17 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Of course they can have an opinion. They just shouldn't expect anyone to give a f**k about it. I can have an opinion about American politics but if I started droning on to an American about it, I'd quite rightly expect them to tell me to f**k off.