Question Time

Elixir

9 hours ago, Malky3 said:

I'm still watching it, and it's a hard watch. But Fiona Bruce did extract one remarkable admission from Emily Thornberry who as Shadow Foreign Secretary has stated that if Labour won a General Election she would negotiate a deal with the EU for the UK to leave, and then she would tell the UK electorate to vote against it. 

Bring back Diane Abbott. 

If you cannot see that the Labour Party position, as explained by Emily*, is entirely sensible, then perhaps you shouldn't be watching grown-up telly (yeah, I know..)

*And not as interpreted by you or the panel and chair.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie
Pedantic P&B MoFo.

I guess this is why I'll never be on the same wavelength as a Nationalist. You seem to act like this is all just a daft game where frustrating democracy is a great laugh. 
It's costing £1Bn per month to stay in the EU - something the UK voted not to do. Parliament has reached stalemate and they want to go back to the people to check the democratic will. There's an opportunity to get this consultation done quickly but the Labour Party and the SNP are colluding to try to ensure that this is dragged out as long as possible so that more money is squandered. 
Boris Johnston, like Theresa May, will possibly go down in history as two of the worst Prime Ministers the UK has ever had and yet still the opposition parties can't get their act together to beat them in an election. What a shower of useless, inept cowards! 

Worried about squandering money, but happy with Brexit? Okay then.

5 hours ago, Malky3 said:

I guess this is why I'll never be on the same wavelength as a Nationalist. You seem to act like this is all just a daft game where frustrating democracy is a great laugh. 

It's costing £1Bn per month to stay in the EU - something the UK voted not to do. Parliament has reached stalemate and they want to go back to the people to check the democratic will. There's an opportunity to get this consultation done quickly but the Labour Party and the SNP are colluding to try to ensure that this is dragged out as long as possible so that more money is squandered. 

Boris Johnston, like Theresa May, will possibly go down in history as two of the worst Prime Ministers the UK has ever had and yet still the opposition parties can't get their act together to beat them in an election. What a shower of useless, inept cowards! 

General election ≠ checking the democratic will.

6 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Frustrating democracy is a great laugh? It's a fucking disaster mate.

You should try and remember that up until a couple of days before the referendum Boris was sitting on the fence. He opted to campaign for leave purely in consideration of his ambitions to become PM feeling he could outsmart Cameron in the process.

I really believe he must now be having major doubts as to his decision to campaign for leave given the shitfest he has created within the Tory party, not to mention the unholy shitfest that a No Deal Brexit will add to the mix.  He's such a complicated and mixed up character it wouldn't surprise me if he found a way to change his mind over the whole brexit thing - especially now as it has divided his party and his family - he must know as well as anyone else does that there are absolutely no advantages to be gained in leaving the EU - in either a hard or a soft sense and must surely be regretting the nightmare he has played a major part in creating.  Thankfully his brother has now demonstrated on two occasions that the Johnson family are not all totally stupid.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Frustrating democracy is a great laugh? It's a fucking disaster mate.

You should try and remember that up until a couple of days before the referendum Boris was sitting on the fence. He opted to campaign for leave purely in consideration of his ambitions to become PM feeling he could outsmart Cameron in the process.

I really believe he must now be having major doubts as to his decision to campaign for leave given the shitfest he has created within the Tory party, not to mention the unholy shitfest that a No Deal Brexit will add to the mix.  He's such a complicated and mixed up character it wouldn't surprise me if he found a way to change his mind over the whole brexit thing - especially now as it has divided his party and his family - he must know as well as anyone else does that there are absolutely no advantages to be gained in leaving the EU - in either a hard or a soft sense and must surely be regretting the nightmare he has played a major part in creating.  Thankfully his brother has now demonstrated on two occasions that the Johnson family are not all totally stupid.

Haud on. Talk about rewriting history. A few days before the referendum Ruth Davidson was arguing with Andrea Leadsom about Boris Brexit position on a National TV debate. Davidson was campaigning for Remain, as was David Cameron and George Osbourne. 

At the same time Jeremy Corbyn was silent, a Brexiteer leading a party of Remainers and Sturgeon was officially a remainer refusing to campaign for remain. Indeed SNP Central Office was trying so hard to keep a lid on a rumoured split in the party over it they banned all MPs and MSPs from talking to the press without getting permission first. 

Even a few months ago, in March, the SNP were playing games with this - abstaining on a Ken Clarke motion in the indicative votes to commit the UK to a Customs Union!

8 hours ago, Malky3 said:

It's costing £1Bn per month to stay in the EU - something the UK voted not to do.

a bit economical with the truth there Malky - the £1 billion per month cost claim has been fact checked.  That figure is only compared to leaving the EU with no deal and we refuse to pay the "divorce bill"  but the governemt has said time and again that it is trying to leave with a deal and therfore there would be no additional cost to the end of 2020 as the agreed financial settlement already includes these payments.  In addition, the figure you've used (originally quoted by Raab) is a gross figure ahead of our refunds - which would account for about a quarter.

3 hours ago, EvilScotsman said:

General election ≠ checking the democratic will.

PM advocating what would be a third general election in <5yrs, this being something that's supposed to select our government every 5 years.

Yet the same buffoon consistently bangs on about respecting the result of a vote that was held back in 2016 (likely won due to an illegally funded campaign) and would probably be reversed if we had a re-run tomorrow?

:wacko:

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

Haud on. Talk about rewriting history. A few days before the referendum Ruth Davidson was arguing with Andrea Leadsom about Boris Brexit position on a National TV debate. Davidson was campaigning for Remain, as was David Cameron and George Osbourne. 

At the same time Jeremy Corbyn was silent, a Brexiteer leading a party of Remainers and Sturgeon was officially a remainer refusing to campaign for remain. Indeed SNP Central Office was trying so hard to keep a lid on a rumoured split in the party over it they banned all MPs and MSPs from talking to the press without getting permission first. 

Even a few months ago, in March, the SNP were playing games with this - abstaining on a Ken Clarke motion in the indicative votes to commit the UK to a Customs Union!

Johnson famously wrote two columns for his paymasters at either the Spectator or the Torygraph (can't remember which) on the eve of the referendum, puting the case for both choices, and in 2013, in The Torygraph, came to the conclusion that leaving the EU would do nothing to solve Britain's problems. In 2016, he came down on the side of leaving purely because cameron advocated remaining in the EU, not because he actually believed it would be good for the country but because it would be good for him.

Corbyn was one of the most energetic campaigners from any Party throughout the referendum campaign. His stance, like mine, was "remain and reform". I know this because we talked about it at the Big Meeeting in 2017.

No-one was an official remainer - no party was an official remain or leave party. The EU referendum, that fabled "will of the people" was, wait for it...

A non-party political issue. It only became a Party-political issue when Corbyn and other leaders reached across the house in a spirit of co-operation to be roundly fúcked off by May.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

46 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Apologies...My post should have read a couple of months before the referendum Boris was on the fence. That is beyond dispute. He had been in a quandary over this for some time. Unfortunately he jumped off the wrong side of the fence thank to his obsession with becoming PM and as a result we are now in complete chaos.

See this article :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/16/secret-boris-johnson-column-favoured-uk-remaining-in-eu

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Apologies...My post should have read a couple of months before the referendum Boris was on the fence. That is beyond dispute. He had been in a quandary over this for some time. Unfortunately he jumped off the wrong side of the fence thank to his obsession with becoming PM and as a result we are now in complete chaos.

See this article :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/16/secret-boris-johnson-column-favoured-uk-remaining-in-eu

Yep, opportunistic chancer. Except I'd quibble ove rthe word "secret". The horrible baastard has never denied the existence of the pro-EU article, preferring to paint it as an intellectual exercise and proof of how clever he is.

I must say, I'm not totally convinced.

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

See this article :

Its hardly been a secret but the way this whole thing has been twisted by those trying to exploit opportunity is sad. 

If you remember correctly the outcome of the EU referendum was seen as a defeat for the Conservative government. Our Prime Minister and Chancellor resigned. One of the reasons touted by the media for the result was supposed to be dissatisfaction in the Conservative government. Most of the high flyers in the party at that time were campaigning hard to remain whilst Corbyn and Sturgeon stayed at home looking for political opportunities. 

The reality, ofcourse, is that whatever you speculate the reason was, 52% of the electorate didn't want to stay in the EU. I really don't think Johnston was the deciding factor. In fairness to Thornberry at least she was involved in the remain campaign. Where was Blackford? 

20 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Johnson famously wrote two columns for his paymasters at either the Spectator or the Torygraph (can't remember which) on the eve of the referendum, puting the case for both choices, and in 2013, in The Torygraph, came to the conclusion that leaving the EU would do nothing to solve Britain's problems. In 2016, he came down on the side of leaving purely because cameron advocated remaining in the EU, not because he actually believed it would be good for the country but because it would be good for him.

Corbyn was one of the most energetic campaigners from any Party throughout the referendum campaign. His stance, like mine, was "remain and reform". I know this because we talked about it at the Big Meeeting in 2017.

No-one was an official remainer - no party was an official remain or leave party. The EU referendum, that fabled "will of the people" was, wait for it...

A non-party political issue. It only became a Party-political issue when Corbyn and other leaders reached across the house in a spirit of co-operation to be roundly fúcked off by May.

Your response to Malky3 was much better than mine and deserves to be nearer the top of this page!

4 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Its hardly been a secret but the way this whole thing has been twisted by those trying to exploit opportunity is sad. 

If you remember correctly the outcome of the EU referendum was seen as a defeat for the Conservative government. Our Prime Minister and Chancellor resigned. One of the reasons touted by the media for the result was supposed to be dissatisfaction in the Conservative government. Most of the high flyers in the party at that time were campaigning hard to remain whilst Corbyn and Sturgeon stayed at home looking for political opportunities. 

The reality, ofcourse, is that whatever you speculate the reason was, 52% of the electorate didn't want to stay in the EU. I really don't think Johnston was the deciding factor. In fairness to Thornberry at least she was involved in the remain campaign. Where was Blackford? 

I can distinctly recall a TV debate just prior to the referendum with Nicola S and Farage on the panel.

It was generally accepted that Nicola more or less wiped the floor with him.

Anyway, you'll be delighted and mightily relieved to note that Boris is in in Scotland today doing his bit to help preserve the Union!

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

I can distinctly recall a TV debate just prior to the referendum with Nicola S and Farage on the panel.

It was generally accepted that Nicola more or less wiped the floor with him.

Anyway, you'll be delighted and mightily relieved to note that Boris is in in Scotland today doing his bit to help preserve the Union!

I've just seen the oaf speaking on the BBC - full content, no cutting away to focus on more important stuff like they do when an opposition voice gets a wee bit critical - and it's fucking pitiful, the way he rambles, mumbles and stumbles until the needle of his brain finds the groove of the party line, and we're off for a 33rpm journey through will of the people...scared opposition...election...die in  a ditch... blah fucking blah. I hold this creature and his enablers in more contempt than any of the criminals I've locked up in my career, because he knows he's causing untold misery, and continues to do so, simply because he can.

My bucket list still has "seeing the current Tory front bench convicted of their criminal behaviour" at number two, but carry on like this and "banging up the c***s responsible for Orgreave*" may well lose its long-term top status.

*Those that are still alive. It would be a travesty if nobody answers for that disgrace.

17 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Wrong. Care to guess why? I'll give you ten minutes.