The barras

Alright troops,just wondering if anybody's been to the barras market lately,I remember going through with my dad in my younger days,but it's a long time since I've been there. Considering heading through to buy some cheap fags,that's if you can still get them?

Master System Plus card version only.

Then I shall say good day, sir.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

I actually have no idea what this means. I assume it's a reference to the game? I have to be honest I just picked that one because I remember it being about 15 disks. I've never played it.

I think we've all learned a lesson here.

My overriding memory of the barras is the smell of shellfish, the noise of men with microphones hawking tat and then going home and trying to load Street Fighter II on the Commodore, which mainly involved inserting the 5 floppy disks it had been copied onto over and over again until one of them worked and the game started up.

Then I shall say good day, sir.

I actually have no idea what this means. I assume it's a reference to the game? I have to be honest I just picked that one because I remember it being about 15 disks. I've never played it.

I think we've all learned a lesson here.

Without straying too far from the OP, a brilliant and genuinely funny game you can still play online.

Part of the game involved sword fights with other pirates, but instead of trading blows, you traded insults. So if the pirate (or indeed, any ne'er do well down the Barras) said to you "I've spoken with apes more polite than you", the correct riposte would be "I'm glad to hear you attended your family reunion".

Aye, you're supposed to feel a nice glow about those fine Glasgow institutions, and reminisce nostalgically. Who remembers Paddy's market also? Fact is it's stalls selling substandard and fake tat. Some of the sales patter was good though with guys hawking new revolutionary decorating tools and so on. The good ones would gather a crowd: "I'm not asking for £10, I'm not asking for £5..." for some worthless piece of shit.

I recall a visit to the place twenty odd years ago, some Trotteresque was bellowing ' get yer Chanel number 5 here' just as I dropper my guts in a devastating manner. The old dears that were using the testers couldn't tell the difference.

Archived