The Battle Of Gayfield- 10th Jan

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No plan B whatsoever, teams know exactly how to play us. Credit to albion tho very disciplined, surprised to see Gemmell not coming on to get his routine goal against us. Was the first goal mis-hit?looked as if it was going over to me before dipping very quickly

At the moment, our opponents just need to sit deep and flood the central midfield to stop us scoring.

If they stay deep, our long balls don't get behind them rendering Murray's pace useless and none of our strikers are really capable of winning the aerial battle. Flood the central midfield and you'll win more of the 2nd balls from those long balls. If they have a bit of pace on the counter and/or are decent with set pieces, they'll get goals to beat us.

For what it's worth I thought the first half was quite entertaining, seemed to fly by.

Arbroath came out of the traps for the first 15 minutes of the second half, before tailing off and Albion finishing the game comfortably.

Says a lot that the shots on target was 6-0 to Albion.

I thought 2-0 was a deserved scoreline.

The one thing you can say about league football is you end up where you deserve to be. The Rovers type of play might not be pretty but its what wins titles. You need to be able to keep clean sheets and defend when things are not going your way. We were scoring goals for fun early in the season but that was covering up our deficiencies at the back. The 2 centre backs for the Rovers stood up to everything we threw at them while we haven't been able to do this enough all season. A lesson for next season perhaps?

Albion rovers came with a game plan. They defended well and for long periods of the game soaked up Arbroath pressure. We had a

few opportunities to score but nothing clear cut.

Lots of critics on here tonight but thought there was no lack of effort from Arbroath. AR first goal deflected or something buta bit fortunate. 2nd was against run of play imo.

Down but not out,,,,yet

Smokies blown the league all hail sir alan moore:-)

Not good enough by Arbroath FC, but at Moore had us playing some great football for the 1st half of the season, where did Mr Shields get Montrose FC? Hail Mr Shields... mo83 will you go to the away games in the Highland League or just your new local derby of Fraserburgh!

you are and should be the better team.

Oh no they're not!

I think we were worth that tonight: well organised and broke with pace when we could. Young Cadden look like he could improve us even further, although it would be harsh to drop any of the starters tonight. Star man for me was Darren Young who does a great job of calming down the impetuous yong bucks around him. Ross Dunlop was imperious at the back as well.

Next stop the 'Gentlemen' Amateurs... surely we can't beat them for a fifth time this season :)

Not good enough by Arbroath FC, but at Moore had us playing some great football for the 1st half of the season, where did Mr Shields get Montrose FC? Hail Mr Shields... mo83 will you go to the away games in the Highland League or just your new local derby of Fraserburgh!

As usual he's more interested in us than his own team :1eye

I thought you were dead

Every man for Rovers tonight 10/10.

We sat off Arbroath for small parts of the game and let them have a go but they never done enough to cause us any real hassle.

We were smart when we needed to be and took our chances, could have had a few more but ah well can't complain.

Arbroath were very poor but I suppose that's the joys of having Lumsden's influence on the team. So many long balls they played to nobody reminded me of the football he had us playing when he was our manager.

Our local derby will be Fraserburgh will it!The man clearly knows feck all about the HL.

We have several strengths within our team, but at times seem almost insistent on not playing to them. On top of these, the rest of the teams in the division have completely sussed us out and our plan B of whacking it long simply doesn't work. There are various things tactically that I would question, this 'long throw' nonsense which we tried 10ish times last night with a 0% success rate (corners won, second balls won etc) and the quick long punt up the park by Marc McCallum towards Bobby Linn and Simon Murray to try and win in the air against several large defenders also seems quite baffling. Back to the drawing board for us unfortunately....

Young absolutely strolled it last night. It helps having the other 2 centre mids to do some of his running but the amount of times he just appeared in the right place to get a foot in was ridiculous.

It definitely felt that every single time the ball broke it was going to a Rovers player and I think you could say that there was a touch of fortune about both goals. At the time last night I was cursing our luck when it did break to them but in reality, it was because they had an extra man in midfield and their players were sharper and hungrier. Luck can account for it happening once or twice but when it happens consistently, there has to be a reason.

Archived