The Great Big Morton Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Least we still have mighty Joe McKee.

McKee was alright on Saturday. Our biggest worry is definitely defensive, as Duffy insists on playing Crighton whilst Kilday has been rubbish for quite some time now.

Kilday surely needs someone beside him with at least minimum talent. He looks so much worse beside Crighton but I reckon Crighton could make Philip Lahm look shite. We need to get a settled back 4. Either Milo and Miller or Lamie and Miller. I'd have preferred the first pairing but Lamie has been decent lately and has suffered plaing beside Crighton.

Duffy was a centre half ffs. I can't believe his problem with managing a defence.

What a transfer window, got rid of duds like: Hands, Allan, Barrowman & McNeil and replaced them with: Caldwell, Forbes, McManus, Adam, Peaso & Tidser. Just imagine if Tidser could play :wub:

All I can say is fair play to Mr.Duffy this transfer window.

No wonder guys like Crichton don't like the support. He's a limited player with no lack of endeavour who, alright hasn't been up to the required standard but doesn't deserve half the pish he gets on here.

He didn't sign himself and he doesn't pick himself. That's on Jim Duffy so give it a rest.

No wonder guys like Crichton don't like the support. He's a limited player with no lack of endeavour who, alright hasn't been up to the required standard but doesn't deserve half the pish he gets on here.

He didn't sign himself and he doesn't pick himself. That's on Jim Duffy so give it a rest.

post-46379-0-22216800-1422946356.jpg

Think Duffy was wanting to move players out to get some in. By the looks of it no one was prepared to move.

Defence is still a concern and to a lesser extent so is the midfield. But we now have a ridiculous amount of options up front.

Suppose if we can get to 2nd place with Barrowman then we really should get well over the line with McManus, Peaso, Caldwell, Scullion and the McCluskey brothers

If you look at the match report stats, in almost every game we have had far more chances than the opposition but our conversion rate into goals hasn't been great. These signings should sort that.

As regards the defence, Kilday in particular and Russell each far too often try to take on players when they have no cover behind them. They lose the ball and let the opposition in behind our defence and then the panic sets in.

Jim Duffy has called it bad decision making and it is but he and his coaching staff should have sorted it out by now.

I don't like the hoof ball approach, but if you are the last man and you have no other sensible option it's the thing to do.

Sort that out and we should start to win games much more convincingly but certainly a good January transfer window in 2015, particularly compared to the absolute stupidity of January 2014.

If we really are going to be playing a 4-3-3 formation, as looks increasingly like to me given our striking options now, then the fullbacks need to be picking up the ball in the opposition half, not in our own half, where losing possession is a bigger concern. The central midfielders need to be looking to take the ball from the defenders and spreading the play, and the wide striker (likely to be McManus on the left and Caldwell on the right) need to be giving options in the channels.

I think it could work very well, and give guys like Forbes and McKee, who can pick passes, much better options to work with. Thomas O'Ware will need to continue in the holding midfield role unless we can pick up someone who is out of contract, but I wouldn't be too concerned about him playing there.

Rubbish.

This is exactly the type of place where fans give opinions on players.

I don't see anything personal against him, but everyone it seems agrees that he is not good enough and shouldn't be in the team. Yes Duffy is at fault for picking him and he has had abuse for that also, but doesn't mean he is immune from criticism.

If he is in the team and performing poorly, making mistakes etc then he well subject to criticism from fans. That's the world of football I'm afraid.

In summary, he is pish and should never start for us again unless we have injuries in that department.

Whilst I'm pleased with the calibre of players we've signed, this does seem to be harking back to 2003-04 when the tactic was that losing 5 goals did not matter as long as we scored 6. All fine and well until the "goals for" dry up.

If it pays off, we will seriously need to improve our back line in the summer.

If we really are going to be playing a 4-3-3 formation, as looks increasingly like to me given our striking options now, then the fullbacks need to be picking up the ball in the opposition half, not in our own half, where losing possession is a bigger concern. The central midfielders need to be looking to take the ball from the defenders and spreading the play, and the wide striker (likely to be McManus on the left and Caldwell on the right) need to be giving options in the channels.

I think it could work very well, and give guys like Forbes and McKee, who can pick passes, much better options to work with. Thomas O'Ware will need to continue in the holding midfield role unless we can pick up someone who is out of contract, but I wouldn't be too concerned about him playing there.

I'd go slightly different from that. The thing that's impressed me about Caldwell is his strength running with the ball. I'd like to see him in behind Peaso and McManus, allowing the fullbacks to bomb forward with O'Ware holding back almost like a back three.

If a delicate little flower like Crighton can't deal with entirely justified criticism of his generally crap performances, then he isn't cut out for professional football.

I think we are more likely to play two up with a midfield diamond behind them. Probably Caldwell at the top of the diamond with Peaso and McManus upfront and O'Ware holding plus Forbes left and McKee right. Puts a lot of pressure on the fullbacks to provide width and get up and down the park which can leave us exposed defensively to teams (like Forfar) who can break quickly..

I think we are more likely to play two up with a midfield diamond behind them. Probably Caldwell at the top of the diamond with Peaso and McManus upfront and O'Ware holding plus Forbes left and McKee right. Puts a lot of pressure on the fullbacks to provide width and get up and down the park which can leave us exposed defensively to teams (like Forfar) who can break quickly..

I also think that this is the system that we'll try and implement.

Archived