The Great Big Morton Thread

Absolutely not. Our centre backs can barely co-ordinate themselves and cover for each other when there's 2 of them... The chaos if there were to be 3 of them doesn't bear thinking about.

Or it would provide more cover as there would be more of them.

A 3-5-2 would bring the best out of Russell but that's the only benefit.

Would allow us to play 2 cf which is where we are strongest and provide more balance in midfield rather than the shambles of trying to play Caldwell as a cf and on the right at the same time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or it would provide more cover as there would be more of them.

3 < 4. Although Russell and Kilday often bomb forward, and aren't great defenders themselves, the system is a lot safer for us than a back 3 (which, by the way, would mean Sean Crighton has a more significant role *shudder*). We'd be caught out defensively time and time again - even moreso than we already are!

3-5-2 would cause more problems than it'd solve. Caldwell, McManus and Peaso are all centre fowards first and foremost so one of them's going to be out of position whether it's 3-5-2, 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3. If you're putting one of them in a free role behind the other two it's much better to do so in a 4-3-1-2 and keep four at the back.

In a 3-5-2 having a good holding midfielder is absolutely essential. We don't have one full stop. O'Ware has done well there at times but plenty of games have passed him by there too. The defence having adequate protection from the midfield is vital to a 3-5-2 working and our biggest weakness is the lack of protection the defence get from the midfield, in large part due to whichever centre back we've tried there not having the positional sense for the role. Having an extra centre back isn't going to mitigate that problem when the wing backs are bombing up the park and leaving space behind them to be exploited: if you think we have trouble with Kilday being caught of position now, it'll be far more of a problem as a full back in a 3-5-2. We'd have the defence even more exposed than it is now, when our approach is already based on trusting the strikers to outscore the opposition because the defence aren't likely to keep clean sheets.

I think it would also weaken us in attack. If you've got a 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3 you can still accommodate the Holy Trinity of centre forwards, a holding midfielder (makeshift or not), two attacking players in central midfield and have the full-backs coming forward to support the attack and provide width, as Russell has done increasingly effectively in the last few games. That means you can have your holding midfielder along with two of Pepper, Forbes and McKee. Switch to 3-5-2 with one the centre forward and you've got the choice of no holding midfielder, leaving the defence exposed, or only being able to pick one of Pepper, Forbes and McKee when it's extremely useful to have two of them considering the huge difference in style between Pepper and the other two, along with the more obvious point that you'll have one less attacking player on the pitch.

Additionally, while I think Russell would be suited to being a wing-back, it does mean the opposition only have one player staying out wide on each side to focus on permanently and that could mean far less space and time than they currently get at full-back.

Obviously every formation is flexible and you can get too bogged down in a rigid vision of a formation without giving consideration to a different way a manager could deploy it to make it work, but I really think any move to a back three would be a terrible decision with this squad.

post-37246-14229829871038_thumb.jpg

I think this would be our best option.

Caldwell seems to be able to run all day and is good at picking the ball up and running forward so he could suit that role. Russell can provide width down the left as can Kilday if he's interested - I do wish we had another option for RB as he hasn't done much for the last few weeks.

I would prefer Pepper where McKee is but it looks like he'll be out for a few weeks.

Our front line looks one of the best in this league and provided everyone stays fit we should be able to score many goals.

Anyone who thinks that the solution to a squad with no good centre-backs and an unconvincing central midfield is to, err, play three of each, needs their head checked out.

4-3-3, McManus replacing the thoroughly wasteful McCluskey. Had McManus been in McCluskey's positions on Saturday then we'd have at least doubled our goals tally. O'Ware to sit in the centre of the park to win high balls and move into a back three when our full-backs maraud forward. Fairly straightforward stuff.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1422982984.710308.jpg

Caldwell seems to be able to run all day and is good at picking the ball up and running forward so he could suit that role. Russell can provide width down the left as can Kilday if he's interested - I do wish we had another option for RB as he hasn't done much for the last few weeks.

I would prefer Pepper where McKee is but it looks like he'll be out for a few weeks.

Our front line looks one of the best in this league and provided everyone stays fit we should be able to score many goals.

I'd go with that except with Pepper in place of Kilday.

And before anyone starts, that's where he played at ICT.

A replacement for Kilday should be an immediate priority. He's had no competition for his place all season and been consistently the poorest player in the team for a couple of months now.

On an unrelated note, how would Remi Streete be eligible to play for Rangers? If he can play then surely Tidser can.

There's been some talk of not counting emergency loans in England, seems like a really odd technicality when comparing this to Tidser and especially to Ben Arfa. I assumed that wouldn't work in relation to an 'international' transfer.

I also had no idea that you could loan 5 players at the same time, never mind all from the same team.

ETA: I guess if you're circumventing one rule through allowing a loan outside the transfer window then that might allow a further rule to be broken (because the loan didn't exist within the registration rules).

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1422982984.710308.jpg

This is definitely our strongest team and will be good enough to win us the league unless Duffy puts a spanner in the works. However, let's not kid ourselves on that a midfield like that wouldn't be cruelly exposed at Championship level. Plenty of creativity there but other than O'Ware no bite whatsoever.

A replacement for Kilday should be an immediate priority. He's had no competition for his place all season and been consistently the poorest player in the team for a couple of months now.

I've been aware of your disdain towards Kilday since Ayr I think. I don't think he's a problem, though. He's having bad spell of form but I've no worries he'll come good.

On an unrelated note, how would Remi Streete be eligible to play for Rangers? If he can play then surely Tidser can.

Stop it.

Kilday has been a bit weak defensively all season. There's certainly times I would've liked O'Ware to be used at right back to shore up the defence in the same way as we used Craig Reid to do that a couple of seasons ago.

Such as? I'm afraid that your moronic, happy-clapping drivel won't cut it on the big boys' forum: put up your evidence or pipe down.

I'm not reading back through pages and pages of your constant nonsense. "Big Boys Forum", haha get a grip of your pathetic little life.

Even look back at the time when Joe McKee shouts something back into the crowd, its a total shambles that the players are taking abuse of their so called own fans - should be encouraging even if they having a poor game.

......Que VT's happy clapping patter.

To be honest, even if the Crighton thing was true, I wouldnt be surpised! Some of the abuse players get is totally uncalled for and is plain ridiculous!

I agree!

All our centre backs have made mistakes this season and the majority of fans have slated them rather than get behind them.

For me Crighton should start over Lamie and O'Ware, there is no communication between the two, whereas Crighton is very vocal and tries his best to get everyone organised.

Our best run this season was when we played Crighton and Milo at the back with O'Ware sitting in front of them. Why change a winning formula?

It's time to get behind the team regardless of who is in the starting line up. On paper we have by far the best squad in the league, let's go on and take the second half of the season by storm and win the title to get us back where we belong.

For me Crighton should start over Lamie and O'Ware, there is no communication between the two, whereas Crighton is very vocal and tries his best to get everyone organised.

Our best run this season was when we played Crighton and Milo at the back with O'Ware sitting in front of them. Why change a winning formula?

^^^Sean Crighton

I agree!

All our centre backs have made mistakes this season and the majority of fans have slated them rather than get behind them.

For me Crighton should start over Lamie and O'Ware

:lol:

Stopped reading here.

I agree!

It's time to get behind the team regardless of who is in the starting line up. On paper we have by far the best squad in the league, let's go on and take the second half of the season by storm and win the title to get us back where we belong.

It was 'winning formula' for such a short period of time that you can't really call it a winning formula. That's how we played against Spartans and away at Stirling, for example - it has failed to work more often that it has worked. I don't think it's just down to the defence, but when Crighton is doing stupid things like the hand ball against Stenny, it's difficult not to drop him (I tend to think the only reason he got back in the team was how poorly Miller was playing in midfield).

I agree!

F*cking hell :lol:

:lol:

Archived