The Great Big Morton Thread

Very interested to see Ian Gibson in the Coventry team.

I lived on Teeside at the time and supported the Boro.

Ian Gibson was Scottish and was 17 when the Boro signed him from Bradford City, Don't remember the fee (Memory goimg)

Hie earned the nickname "Wooden legs" for his ability to skip or rode tackles, could win balls, dribble and make defence splitting passes.

He played for the Boro for five or six seasons before Boro did what they did best,,,, Sell on any talent for a profit,,, ( inthis case to Coventry).and these were the days of thirty to forty thousand crowds.

Ian was a big fan of Jim Baxter and called his Greyhound "Slim Jim" , Large White dog, he used to run it at Stockton and Hartlepool Dog tracks.

Good dog , but not as good as its Namesake. Ian's girlfriend (attractive blonde) continued to run the dog after Ian had left to go to Coventry.

I often wonder what became of Ian , as I never heard of him joining any other club.

Foobs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Gibson_%28footballer,_born_1943%29

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's right, though. Each new generation of kids growing up are worse than the previous year. Bringing back the birch would be my preference but in the meantime the wee cretins need put in their place.

Is that actually the case though? Or just something that people think as they get older?

Is that actually the case though? Or just something that people think as they get older?

Bloody hell, you're quick! I deleted that cos I didn't really think it was relevant to this thread. I very much think that's the case. Kids don't know the meaning of the word respect these days.

Bloody hell, you're quick! I deleted that cos I didn't really think it was relevant to this thread. I very much think that's the case. Kids don't know them meaning of the word respect these days.

It is very off-topic, so we'll agree to disagree here. I don't think kids are any more disrespectful now than they were say a couple of decades ago, I actually think there are less problems now than there were then (I can't really speak for before my time - but then again, I know stories of many people from when they were young who are much older than me and they don't sound any different). I hear people all the time say how how disrespctful kids are 'these days', and have to remind them what they were like at that age (I'll leave it there as it is very off topic - feel free to disagree :) ).

It is very off-topic, so we'll agree to disagree here. I don't think kids are any more disrespectful now than they were say a couple of decades ago, I actually think there are less problems now than there were then (I can't really speak for before my time - but then again, I know stories of many people from when they were young who are much older than me and they don't sound any different). I hear people all the time say how how disrespctful kids are 'these days', and have to remind them what they were like at that age (I'll leave it there as it is very off topic - feel free to disagree :) ).

Aye I disagree but we'll leave it at that. ;)

Very interested to see Ian Gibson in the Coventry team.

I lived on Teeside at the time and supported the Boro.

Ian Gibson was Scottish and was 17 when the Boro signed him from Bradford City, Don't remember the fee (Memory goimg)

Hie earned the nickname "Wooden legs" for his ability to skip or rode tackles, could win balls, dribble and make defence splitting passes.

He played for the Boro for five or six seasons before Boro did what they did best,,,, Sell on any talent for a profit,,, ( inthis case to Coventry).and these were the days of thirty to forty thousand crowds.

Ian was a big fan of Jim Baxter and called his Greyhound "Slim Jim" , Large White dog, he used to run it at Stockton and Hartlepool Dog tracks.

Good dog , but not as good as its Namesake. Ian's girlfriend (attractive blonde) continued to run the dog after Ian had left to go to Coventry.

I often wonder what became of Ian , as I never heard of him joining any other club.

Foobs

You are obviously not the possessor of a polisman's helmet Sir. :shutup

Aww ffs, let's hope it's not too serious Peaso is vital for us in the final run in.

Apparently the procedure should be a proper fix, and he should be fit by mid-next week. Obviously far from ideal but let's not lose the heads (yet).

Agree. I'd add Scullion to that too.

Anyway, the strikers aren't really the problem, it's the service they get.

The midfield, for all their failings, aren't really the issue either. The defence is the biggest cause for concern at the moment.

Apparently the procedure should be a proper fix, and he should be fit by mid-next week. Obviously far from ideal but let's not lose the heads (yet).

I'm not medically qualified but, from the description in the Telegraph, it sounds like he’s going in for a microdiscectomy; presumably by laser.

I believe the average return to work time after that procedure is around six weeks. As a professional athlete and relatively young man, you’d expect him to recover a bit quicker than the average but the apparent suggestion (from Duffy) that he will hopefully only be out for this Saturday and next seems to me to be extremely optimistic.

Duffy says the “rest period” is 5-10 days. My worry is that he would only be returning to light training after that period and still be a good bit away from a competitive return.

Goes without saying that I hope I’m wrong here (there's a reason why I don't wear a white coat and stethoscope!)

Apparently the Tele headline "Morton striker MacDonald to go under the knife" actually meant that he was to have an injection, but clearly "Morton striker MacDonald to have an injection" didn't do it for the sub-editor.

He's had an injection and will rest for a week and hopefully will be ok after that.

Archived