The Great Big Morton Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. But it sounds like this wasn't handled well at all - another example of poorly carried out decisions in this omnishambles of a club.

Harsh seeing as we don't know what happened. Just one players opinion who has just been let go and is naturally disappointed.

We don't know how it was handled so In what way could we have handled it better?

Harsh seeing as we don't know what happened. Just one players opinion who has just been let go and is naturally disappointed.

We don't know how it was handled so In what way could we have handled it better?

Evidently his problem isn't that he was let go, but the way in which he was let go. We have a history of leaving players with a bad taste in their mouths.

I'm not sad to see him go but I do feel bad for him - the guy's looking forward to Steven Fletcher's wedding in Dubai, and will have been looking forward to playing in the league above, and evidently the club can't even give him a reason - instead, he gets an "excuse". Given Duffy's track record of looking after players badly (Pepper and Caldwell, for example), and the club's consistently poor handling of affairs, I'm interested to see what kind of hilarity we've cooked up this time.

Evidently his problem isn't that he was let go, but the way in which he was let go. We have a history of leaving players with a bad taste in their mouths.

I'm not sad to see him go but I do feel bad for him - the guy's looking forward to Steven Fletcher's wedding in Dubai, and will have been looking forward to playing in the league above, and evidently the club can't even give him a reason - instead, he gets an "excuse". Given Duffy's track record of looking after players badly (Pepper and Caldwell, for example), and the club's consistently poor handling of affairs, I'm interested to see what kind of hilarity we've cooked up this time.

Probably because Morton's the end of the road for full time footballers in Scotland. Once Morton punt a player it's "get a real job" time, so I can understand why some may feel resentful.

I'm happy with the decision though- he was alright, but rarely much better than that. It's good to see the club being ruthless rather than just rewarding players for winning the title with new deals, as was the case in 2007.

Good luck to him in the future, but Duffy's done what every other manager in the world has to do and made an unpopular decision. Much ado about nothing IMHO.

Probably because Morton's the end of the road for full time footballers in Scotland. Once Morton punt a player it's "get a real job" time, so I can understand why some may feel resentful.

I'm happy with the decision though- he was alright, but rarely much better than that. It's good to see the club being ruthless rather than just rewarding players for winning the title with new deals, as was the case in 2007.

Good luck to him in the future, but Duffy's done what every other manager in the world has to do and made an unpopular decision. Much ado about nothing IMHO.

I generally agree, but tweets like Jamie's don't reflect positively on the club at all. Will be interesting to see if we'll find out what the excuse was... Much ado about almost nothing maybe :P

Posting this on here as I know there are people who don't use the morton forum.

I'm going to try and organise a group of people to get together to do some general maintenance (painting etc) around Cappielow over the summer, as the ground is starting to look a little tired. This was discussed on her previously, and over on the Morton forum.

If anyone would be interested in offering their time over a weekend or two, please post below to let me put some numbers together. I have contacted the club and the supporters trust to gauge their opinions too. If anyone has any skills that they could use, like plumbing or electrical work, then that would be good to know.

Cheers

By taking on Barr as everyone fully expects to happen, we've upgraded our squad role of sand-dancer - Jamie is therefore surplus to requirements and I'm relieved that the club is being ruthless for a change.

In fairness to McCluskey, he criticised the reason given rather than the decision itself; he also wished the club the best for the future. Many of us will have been in a similar type of situation and been left annoyed by reasons that were given, especially when it didn't feel very honest.

Duffy should've told him that he was looking for a better player in that position for moving up a level.

This.

I'm going to try and organise a group of people to get together to do some general maintenance (painting etc) around Cappielow over the summer, as the ground is starting to look a little tired. This was discussed on her previously, and over on the Morton forum.

If anyone would be interested in offering their time over a weekend or two, please post below to let me put some numbers together. I have contacted the club and the supporters trust to gauge their opinions too. If anyone has any skills that they could use, like plumbing or electrical work, then that would be good to know.

Cheers

Not sure if there's a lot of plumbing work to be done, but we'd be happy to help out if required Darren.

Not sure if there's a lot of plumbing work to be done, but we'd be happy to help out if required Darren.

I think I read someone mentioned downpipes and the likes needing replaced or repaired, so probably not the most difficult of jobs, but I'll keep you in mind mate. Not heard anything back from the club yet, so it might even happen.

Cheers

ok SALC, I have a few weeks were I could help,painter and decorator to trade but can certainly help out with the usual d.i.y stuff....count me in

In fairness to McCluskey, he criticised the reason given rather than the decision itself; he also wished the club the best for the future. Many of us will have been in a similar type of situation and been left annoyed by reasons that were given, especially when it didn't feel very honest.

Duffy should've told him that he was looking for a better player in that position for moving up a level.

Reason was he was too lightweight for the Championship.

Would be ironic if we then signed Bobby Barr/Joe Cardle to replace him.

That was my instinct. Yeah, we'll now probably go and sign someone just as lightweight. You can understand him being annoyed at the reasons given if we do sign someone like Barr.

It's likely Duffy will have meant that he doesn't have the required ability to make up for how lightweight he is, but really it means that he just doesn't think that he's good enough. Just be honest.

Is this just speculation or has Jamie McCluskey given out more information than the tweet?

It really doesn't matter how the manager explains to a player why he's not being offered a new contract since each of them knows it boils down to, " I don't think you are good enough to do the job".

It will be good to get some concrete information about what is happening on the contracts for next season.

Well he is hardly going to tweet that he was told he was not being offered a new contract because he is not considered good enough for anything other than a squad role in League 1 is he and that really is the substance of the decision.

There's simply no doubt that letting McCluskey go is the right decision: he's a decidedly average player at this level and there's no chance he could handle the step up. Duffy may well have told him that he's letting him go because he's too small/lightweight, but maybe he's just being kind to sugarcoat things rather than explicitly saying he's not good enough.

Regardless of the reason, it's good to see we're getting rid of a player we know won't be up to it: hopefully this continues rather than awarding players contracts out of sentimentality and condemning ourselves to a relegation battle as we did in 2007.

Archived