The Great Big Morton Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good left foot and finally a free kick taker

And that's the only part of his body that works, right foot for standing, legs don't do any running and no upper body strength. But give him 10 yards of space and the ball on his left foot and he can be deadly.

Can only agree with the rest , on the ball in space he's premiership class, but the rest of the time your playing with 10 men.

We play with a midfield 4 not five so that's not great for Forbes. But IF Tidser doesn't sign his midfield partner will probably be Pepper who does lots of running and is probably the most Energetic player in the league.

I'll give the guy a chance before I make any comments.

Duffy would probably sign Tidser and play him in defence. Talking of which, why aren't we looking to sign some decent defenders? Surely that's a priority more than anything else right now?

DDFR has previous for this.

In 2003-04 the tactic was "score more goals than the opposition" which led to win such as 5-2, 6-4, 3-2 and 4-3 etc.

All fine until the forward line dries up and the goals against keep coming.

DDFR has previous for this.

In 2003-04 the tactic was "score more goals than the opposition" which led to win such as 5-2, 6-4, 3-2 and 4-3 etc.

All fine until the forward line dries up and the goals against keep coming.

I didn't realise that Rae was the manager and was signing all the players.

He openly took full responsibility for our fall from grace that season, saying he should have made provisions to tighten the defence (which didn't seem to matter when we were banging in 3 or 4 goals every week).

If you believe certain folk then Rae deserves all the credit for the players we've brought in. Stick it on the manager when things go against you and immediately get the straw back up Dougie's arse when we get a result.

Last saw Forbes play against Peterhead at home, he can barely move as it is however after 60 minutes he had nothing left in the tank. Needs to lose at least a stone in weight and get back to being match fit. Won't ever doubt his ability, however his attitude is poor. As with Barrowman maybe a new club will see him pick up the form of a few seasons ago.

That's a popular misconception about Forbes. His lack of pace is nothing to do with a lack of fitness, he just canny run. In fact if he lost half a yard he'd qualify for a blue parking badge for his motor. That said, the guy does have footballing ability of a far higher standard than would be expected in the third teir of Scottish football. All you need is a talented manager to make use of it. Good luck with that.

:P

Good thing is we have signed a couple of players in Peaso and Forbes who have won leagues before and that should hopefully help our relatively inexperienced squad.

A midfield of Forbes, Pepper, McKee and McCluskey while technically sound, looks very lightweight.

On Forbes- his height according to wiki is 6ft 2- That must be wrong surely??

People are going to be really disappointed when Tidser signs for Dundee or the skunks. Pipe dream. It's like 2003/4 when we were supposedly in for Simon Mensing and John Sutton.

That was 07/08, but yes, the point stands: chase John Sutton for weeks when there was no realistic chance of getting him, end up with Adam Coakley, chase Simon Mensing for weeks, end up with no new holding midfielder at all and having to persist with Scott McLaughlin.

I'm not opposed to signing Forbes, but it only makes sense if the budget is still there to sign a holding midfielder as well as a left-sided midfielder or left back. Good signings in those positions are essential, Forbes could be worthwhile and an improvement on what we've got but isn't as important.

We never really found a role that suited Forbes (well, apart from him sitting comfortably on the bench). Maybe old JD has a masterplan to get the best out of him. Hard to question Forbes' talent and a couple of his early games for us had me wondering what the hell he was doing in League One.

That was 07/08, but yes, the point stands: chase John Sutton for weeks when there was no realistic chance of getting him, end up with Adam Coakley, chase Simon Mensing for weeks, end up with no new holding midfielder at all and having to persist with Scott McLaughlin.

I'm not opposed to signing Forbes, but it only makes sense if the budget is still there to sign a holding midfielder as well as a left-sided midfielder or left back. Good signings in those positions are essential, Forbes could be worthwhile and an improvement on what we've got but isn't as important.

I'd argue the alternative we ended up with was Iain Russell, and whilst he wasn't exactly a success at Morton, given what he'd done before and since at that level, shouldn't have been a bad signing, although the £30,000 fee was a tad excessive.

Coakley was merely a boy that was given his contract to appease a rich daddy who might have been tempted to invest if Dougie kept him sweet.

I went for Coakley as he was the only new striker we had when the season started, which is why we ended up having to chuck £40K at Brechin for Russell in the last week of August: a strikeforce of Weatherson, Templeman, Linn and Coakley in the First Division would have seen us relegated for sure.

Archived