take your "Scottish football needs a strong Celtic and Rangers" and ram it. I'd take even the slim possibility of someone other than the Old Firm winning the title someday over the alternative, the certainty of who wins when both are at full strength.

Amen, brother.

Reductio ad absurdum. It's the P&B way.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd take a severely weakened Celtic/Rangers over a strong Celtic and Rangers every time.

As Monkey Tennis says - it increases the chance of everyone else winning a league cup/scottish cup. Granted, it's going to be far more to the benefit of the 4 or 5 strongest SPL sides, but I'd take that over the alternative, and I think just about everyone else would too.

As pozbaird says - it means that Celtic/Rangers have to win the title on their own, rather than the two of them collectively destroying everyone else in the league and having huge gaps between the top two and the rest.

It opens up a further European spot that would, otherwise, have been occupied by Celtic/Rangers.

It makes little difference to the bottom of the league, although at present there is a prospect of someone facing Rangers in a play-off.

And you know what? On a long enough timeline, maybe - just maybe - Dundee Utd or Aberdeen can build a side good enough to win the title. Those two are immediately springing to mind as having the support and facilities to (maybe!) do it, not to mention their current league placing - but imagine Hearts eventually built up and formed an SPL winning side someday while Rangers are extinct? An example of what might have been.

It's all pretty fanciful - but take your "Scottish football needs a strong Celtic and Rangers" and ram it. I'd take even the slim possibility of someone other than the Old Firm winning the title someday over the alternative, the certainty of who wins when both are at full strength.

Splendid.

He was never on that fence, he has let that guard down on literally hundreds of occasions. cue yet another fake columbo puzzled type post.

Oh ffs Ted. What are you on about?

You boys really are crediting me with more Machiavellian skill than I possess.

I know my sensible take on continuation gets derided as fence sitting, but where else does the charge get aimed? Where have I let down a guard I've never consciously constructed?

I can assure you, I honestly don't know what you're referring to. Any chance we could discuss things as adults?

I've said this before and will say it again - a Rangers that makes the SPL but never makes the top six and spends all eternity getting routinely walloped off other top tier sides will suit me down to the ground.

Just enough life to give a bit of interest, but not enough to actually threaten anyone else. Perfect.

The football will always be irrelevant . What you really meant to say is you can't wait to get the Orcs back into your stadium for a wee sing song !

The football will always be irrelevant . What you really meant to say is you can't wait to get the Orcs back into your stadium for a wee sing song !

what's the chances of Rangers 3 starting at Glebe Park like the last time?

Could be a new 'Tradishun' for the berrz to latch onto.

Archived