Peterhead vs. The Loons

Plastic is only the future if you can recoup money through letting it which requires a catchment large enough to want to use it.

Or

You get someone else to pay for it and the above point does not matter.

Which one applies to Forfar? And Montrose for that matter.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plastic is only the future if you can recoup money through letting it which requires a catchment large enough to want to use it.

Or

You get someone else to pay for it and the above point does not matter.

Which one applies to Forfar? And Montrose for that matter.

The first one. Our pitch is in use pretty much every day of the week.

I'll give you "Jack Frost nipping at your nose"!

Artificial surfaces really are a key part for some lower league clubs to survive and actually play a part in the local community. Below is a link to an SFA website article on the pitch at Station Park outlining the funding of the project (does not mention that Forfar athletic and Forfar Farmington also contributed financially). I was speaking to a friend of mine whose son gets to train on it regularly with a local youth team and they cannot praise the surface highly enough.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=3304&newsID=10842

If properly maintained (which no doubt Martin at Station Park will be doing) the surface should last 15 years, but agreed that there is a cost to replace. However, how much would it cost over a 15 year period to feed, weed, repair, replace a grass pitch? Unsure of the finances, but would imagine a fair whack. When you place that against the incomings from commercial sessions and reduced disruption of postponements (which reduces financial impact when games are shifted from Saturdays to midweeks) the case for artificiak is strong.

Anyhow, off to try and rescue my Saturday with my good friend Mr Deuchars IPA!

Full size plastic pitches do not pay for themselves. The sums do not add up. Hence the reason that it is normally the council or EU funding that pays for it initially OR for the cost of replacing the surface after 7 to 12 years.

Fair enough there was funding to get the pitch in the first place, but my point was that with artificial pitches there is less chance of postponement which means no lost revenue to the club through hospitality and gate receipts ( worth thousands per home game to forfar)

my point was plastic is the way forward , I wasn't debating how it was funded or paid , just for getting games on , on a Saturday afternoon

Football should be played on grass - end of story. It doesn't matter if it is 4G or 100G, it is not natural and some clubs will not play their more injury prone players on them. I don't think Man Utd, Barcelona etc. will be in a hurry to replace their pitches with an artificial surface

Football should be played on grass - end of story. It doesn't matter if it is 4G or 100G, it is not natural and some clubs will not play their more injury prone players on them. I don't think Man Utd, Barcelona etc. will be in a hurry to replace their pitches with an artificial surface

And if Forfar had Man Utds money I'm guessing they would have grass too. Ridiculous comparison.

• 2 months later...

Pointless starting a new thread for this game so, unearthed the original attempt.

Dilemma for Dick - to tinker or not to tinker? Despite both Hilson and Husband reportedly fit again sense says go again with the starting XI that did the job on Saturday.

Suppose he has to keep the same team , if not what does that say to the guys who got the result on Saturday.

Saying that I always feel if hilson is fit he should start

Normally i would agree, re Hilson but Peterhead are a fairly robust team, would prefer to see him looked after for the game on Saturday.

Archived