Steven Gerrard

Fantastic player in his prime... box to box, scored goals, took great set pieces... won games virtually single handedly even at a high level.

Just always seemed to pop up with a goal when Liverpool really needed it.

Great career.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Alonso was the unsung hero of the Liverpool side that one the European Cup in 2005 and they have never truly replaced him. Gerard's contribution is at times immense but often Liverpool do better without him in the team in recent years.

Alonso left Liverpool at the end of the 2008/2009 season, they finished 2nd in the league that year. They had been in the top four for four consecutive seasons. In the next four seasons Liverpool finished 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th. If he was not great at Liverpool why did Real Madrid sign him for £30 million where he won another European Cup.

Alonso has 114 caps for Spain earned in 11 years during which two Euros and a World Cup were won.

I'm not having a pop at Gerard he is an excellent player as well.

I know Spain's success is not down to Alonso alone, merely to get so many caps in a team of that quality shows his quality.

For me Alonso was the unsung hero of the Liverpool side that one the European Cup in 2005 and they have never truly replaced him. Gerard's contribution is at times immense but often Liverpool do better without him in the team in recent years.

Alonso left Liverpool at the end of the 2008/2009 season, they finished 2nd in the league that year. They had been in the top four for four consecutive seasons. In the next four seasons Liverpool finished 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th. If he was not great at Liverpool why did Real Madrid sign him for £30 million where he won another European Cup.

Alonso has 114 caps for Spain earned in 11 years during which two Euros and a World Cup were won.

I'm not having a pop at Gerard he is an excellent player as well.

I know Spain's success is not down to Alonso alone, merely to get so many caps in a team of that quality shows his quality.

Got to agree with this - Liverpool have never really replaced Alonso, and as a result Gerrard has never really consistently hit the same level he did with Alonso beside him.

Would he get in an all-time Liverpool midfield ahead of Alonso and Souness?

Would he get in an all-time Liverpool midfield ahead of Alonso and Souness?

There is no way Xabi Alonso would be anywhere near an all time Liverpool midfield.

I'd agree. Lampard every time.

Whilst I think Gerrard is the better player with more ability, Lampard season after season was consistently more consistent, popping up with crucial goals and didn't disappear from the big games.

Can hardly say Gerrard disappeared from the big games?? One slip v Chelsea aside he's been outstanding in the big games.

Archived