Hibernian v Falkirk

Based on the highlights, it seems fairly clear to me what has happened with the officials. The assistant didn't see the flick on through the pack of bodies, so she didn't raise her flag because Baird was onside from the original free-kick. The referee can clearly see the flick on, and was probably expecting a flag to go up, so at some point he has asked the assistant (possibly via their headset) whether she was aware of the flick on. After he goes across to communicate with her, they've discussed the incident and come to the correct decision. An example of very good refereeing.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the highlights, it seems fairly clear to me what has happened with the officials. The assistant didn't see the flick on through the pack of bodies, so she didn't raise her flag because Baird was onside from the original free-kick. The referee can clearly see the flick on, and was probably expecting a flag to go up, so at some point he has asked the assistant (possibly via their headset) whether she was aware of the flick on. After he goes across to communicate with her, they've discussed the incident and come to the correct decision. An example of very good refereeing.

Yes that ... and the fact she's a rubbishy woman :P

ETA: On second thoughts, and again whilst stating that the call was 100% correct, if the Assistant didn't see the flick-on then how can she tell Collum that Baird was offside when the flick-on occurred :unsure2:

Cheers. I watched it free on the Hibs site too.

Falkirk TV really need to have a word for themselves. Charging for shitty home video footage which most other clubs air for free.

Hibs TV is generally fucking awful.

Funny how you see game differently as I thought McCracken struggled. The other three I would agree. Also thought Leahy was good and Morgan will be a handful for most teams in this league when he gets up to speed.

I agree had we won you could not say we didn't deserve it.

Very much a difference of o

Funny how you see game differently as I thought McCracken struggled. The other three I would agree. Also thought Leahy was good and Morgan will be a handful for most teams in this league when he gets up to speed.

I agree had we won you could not say we didn't deserve it.

Very much a difference of opinion. We would be in a predicament without McCracken. He's the only leader in the team, plus his experience is invaluable. Some fans think Vaulks is leader material because he has a scouse accent and shouts loads on the park. Nothing could be more further from the truth.

Leahy was decent in the 2nd half but the first half, defensively, he had his arse ripped to shreds. On more than one occasion, he was caught square which allowed them to play through balls in dangerous areas

Sibbs at this level has a good trick about him & can ghost past players unfortunately he is slower than me which means he will never get any further which is a shame cause his talent deserves it

What utter codswallop. There have been plenty on guys who have no pace but have gone on to have better careers than Falkirk. Charlie Adam for one, Russell Latapy another. Sibbald has what is really important a change of pace over five/ten yards. Sibbald will have a good career and play at a better level than Falkirk. He is still only 19.

Another reason why a wee explanation by the red at the end of the game would be a huge advantage. They are getting a good wage and the fans and managers deserve at least some form of explanation for contentious decisions.

It sounds a lot like what happened in a televised cup tie between Dundee and Killie a couple of years ago. Then, a Dundee goal initially stood, as an official had failed to notice a flick on, or had thought the touch was off a defender. After conferring, the ref and assistant sorted out what had happened and reached the appropriate verdict. This prompted Craig Paterson in commentary to go daft in a bout of cringey, chronic misunderstanding.

As in this case, the delay in deciding creates an impression of bumbling incompetence, but it's really not the case.

No, just Collum being Collum. He makes stuff up as he goes along, and always has. As mentioned above, if she didn't see the flick, then she could not possibly say if Baird was offside or not at the time of the flick (that she didn't see). Equally, Collum couldn't say either, and was therefore engineering an outcome that he thought to be the right one without having the evidence to back it up.

Ultimately, it was indeed offside, but Collum engineered that decision.

Last season at Alloa, he gave a foul to Alloa. The Alloa player left the field for treatment, but Collum faffed around and held the game up until the Alloa player returned to the pitch. Very worthy stuff, but not permitted in the laws of the game, and it was just another typical examples of Collum's (well meaning) but ultimately baffling reinterpretation of the rules to suit whatever outcome he is looking for at any given moment. He ain't a bad guy, he is just a bad referee.

Nope watched it again .. When the free is taken everyone looks onside

Nope watch it again. Baird always try to play right on the shoulder of the last man, his problem is he's not blessed with pace and probably a brain based on some of his interviews so he tends to drift into offside positions. You'll have to get used to it.

No, just Collum being Collum. He makes stuff up as he goes along, and always has. As mentioned above, if she didn't see the flick, then she could not possibly say if Baird was offside or not at the time of the flick (that she didn't see). Equally, Collum couldn't say either, and was therefore engineering an outcome that he thought to be the right one without having the evidence to back it up.

Ultimately, it was indeed offside, but Collum engineered that decision.

The referee conferred with his assistant in order to arrive at what you accept to be a correct decision, yet you somehow cry foul.

Are you serious?

Archived