Decent areas near Edinburgh

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pubs on GJ street are shit but still has decent shops there, few bookies and there are 2 new butchers and a fish monger that have opened that are shit hot as well. Plus there is a geezer down there near the lidl that has a burger stand and its ace

Yeah Andersons and Welch's are good.

And where you go for Hibs games?

Also what fancy places are you talking about that were pubs that were shut down? Only decent pubs i can think of are Kings wark, Cameo and the Roseleaf around that area?

Caley fans normally go to the Iona before Hibs games, which is OK. You can usually gather outside or sit through the back. I prefer drinking in Robbies or across the road in the Brass Monkey, then maybe head to Victorias or somewhere like that.

The Balfour is now the Woodland Creatures, the Volunteer Arms is now something else, the Dalmeny is now a tapas bar. Also, I'm sure a few others down the side streets have changed hands or shut-down.

Caley fans normally go to the Iona before Hibs games, which is OK. You can usually gather outside or sit through the back. I prefer drinking in Robbies or across the road in the Brass Monkey, then maybe head to Victorias or somewhere like that.

The Balfour is now the Woodland Creatures, the Volunteer Arms is now something else, the Dalmeny is now a tapas bar. Also, I'm sure a few others down the side streets have changed hands or shut-down.

Yeah i know a few of them, I'm relatively new to the area i.e. only been in Ed for 2 years but stuck to the Leith area and don't regret moving here despite looking at lots other places.

Live pretty close to Robbies although i have never been in it looks pretty shit. Most pubs on leith walk are pretty pish i find! I go to Hibs games but usually drink in the stadium bar with a few pals

Stockbridge is a nicer area surely?

Nicer area yes but Leith has more going on, on your doorstep. All depends on what the OP is looking for though, Leith can be as mental or as quiet as you want it to be..Stockbridge is just a bit nice but dull for me...Gorgie looks like it's still the 70's there, and Granton was good in a mad, mad, mad kind of way but wouldn't live there again...

Nicer area yes but Leith has more going on, on your doorstep. All depends on what the OP is looking for though, Leith can be as mental or as quiet as you want it to be..Stockbridge is just a bit nice but dull for me...Gorgie looks like it's still the 70's there, and Granton was good in a mad, mad, mad kind of way but wouldn't live there again...

I went to the college out in Granton and have a few mates there but its not really an area with a feel, there isn't even a pub there is there? Probably a decent spot to live but definitely not somewhere with much of a community spirit

Agree with Leith though it does have a lot going for it, every time i go to Stockbridge its for a decent occasion so its hard to know what its like day to day

I went to the college out in Granton and have a few mates there but its not really an area with a feel, there isn't even a pub there is there? Probably a decent spot to live but definitely not somewhere with much of a community spirit

Agree with Leith though it does have a lot going for it, every time i go to Stockbridge its for a decent occasion so its hard to know what its like day to day

The Anchor, bars on the windows et al....

Was in Leith for the first time in a while and the gentrification is bawharing on - what used to be Mintos (which was like a hybrid of Mos Eisley/Trainspotting/From Dusk Til Dawn) is now a smart looking hipster bistro type place...

The Anchor, bars on the windows et al....

Was in Leith for the first time in a while and the gentrification is bawharing on - what used to be Mintos (which was like a hybrid of Mos Eisley/Trainspotting/From Dusk Til Dawn) is now a smart looking hipster bistro type place...

Oh yeah the anchor :lol: opposite the fine eatery that is Javits and next to the bookies that was robbed at the start of the year!!

Wonder what place that is you are on about i have probably drunk there. Wouldn't have said the places in Leith were exactly hip though!

Oh yeah the anchor :lol: opposite the fine eatery that is Javits and next to the bookies that was robbed at the start of the year!!

Wonder what place that is you are on about i have probably drunk there. Wouldn't have said the places in Leith were exactly hip though!

Next to the Marksman at the foot of the walk...

Next to the Marksman at the foot of the walk...

I prowl around the area quite a lot but not familiar with the Marksman, have drunk in the central bar a few times though! Think theres a wetherspoons around there so that might have been it

Pittsburgh is right Stockbridge is nice if you have plenty cash and enjoy a dull life.

Leith is still changing a lot it's been happening for 20 years of course. Towards the bottom of the Walk It would be a good time to buy if you had the chance

Archived