County v Maureens 17/1/15 - how many points are at stake really?

• Why 4 changes to the team that did so well against Dundee (or 5 changes to the team that played the majority of that match, if you include Boyd), when only 2 were forced?
  • Saunders being moved to CB after all the hard work to get him some form at RB.
  • Toshney coming into the team for such an important game after months of being out of the picture.
  • Burgess not figuring at all given how shit our defence has been, and given the above.
  • Pushing Brittain to RB again, when we have Saunders and Quinn who can both play there, and while our midfield needs Brittain.
  • Quinn's form nose-diving (confidence?)
  • Irvine playing right wing (laughable idea).
  • Persisting with Cardle on the left wing.
  • We looked better when Boyce came on, and better again when Jervis came on. So why not play our most natural goalscorers earlier against the bottom side in the league, especially when they have 10 men?

With the exception (arguably, anyway) of the point about Quinn's drop in form, everything you highlight there reflects the general idea I'm hearing over and over that the new manager is somewhere in the region of clueless. Even the bit about Quinn's drop in form - (immediately following that O.G. he scored a while back?) - raises the question why, if he's been playing poorly for a while, isn't he being dropped?

I'm a die-hard Staggy far, far away, and every week I can't wait for BBC online text commentary(!) or similar. I so miss being there for matchdays, but recently I can't help feeling like perhaps I'm the lucky one!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Untitled52_zps1e7deb42.png -> Untitled52_zps2664cc63.png -> Untitled52_zpsb24e2c3f.png

Not sure how you can say thats not a reckless, unnecessary lunge tbh. Looks a red card all day long.

We all know pictures don't give a fair indication of what's happened though. Look at the second picture, it looks like the County boy has gone in with two feet.

We all know pictures don't give a fair indication of what's happened though. Look at the second picture, it looks like the County boy has gone in with two feet.

:lol: Whataboutery at its very finest.

With the exception (arguably, anyway) of the point about Quinn's drop in form, everything you highlight there reflects the general idea I'm hearing over and over that the new manager is somewhere in the region of clueless. Even the bit about Quinn's drop in form - (immediately following that O.G. he scored a while back?) - raises the question why, if he's been playing poorly for a while, isn't he being dropped?

I'm a die-hard Staggy far, far away, and every week I can't wait for BBC online text commentary(!) or similar. I so miss being there for matchdays, but recently I can't help feeling like perhaps I'm the lucky one!

Aye, if it wasnt for the craic with the fans I'd be finding it a lot more difficult to force myself to go to games just now.

No need for pictures, there's a video link above which clears it up quite nicely.

I like to think a inline sequence of still photos is just as effective tbh, still not sure why St Mirren fans think it was harsh. He clearly lunges in and makes contact around the ankle with his studs, thats been a red card offence for years.

Not at all. I was giving an example to show that pictures can't always be relied on to give a fair reflection. I assume we've all watched the video, which give a far better indication.

They both show the same thing. I made a point of posting three photos just incase it misrepresented things.

They both show the same thing. I made a point of posting three photos just incase it misrepresented things.

No they don't, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting as we have all watched the video. How many frames are missing by only showing those 3 photos?

I like to think a inline sequence of still photos is just as effective tbh, still not sure why St Mirren fans think it was harsh. He clearly lunges in and makes contact around the ankle with his studs, thats been a red card offence for years.

If you watch the video, which I assume you have and that's where you took those stills from, it tells the real story.

For some reason you've picked some stills which try to make it look like something else.

And the problem with stills, as was pointed out, is that they can be misinterpreted.

The middle one, if taken on its own, would look like Toshney was the one who should be being red carded for a two footed lunge :)

...actually even though video with all the frames is better, what these snaps do show quite clearly is that Arquin stood on the ball squirting it out of picture by the time of the last picture. The County player swinging slightly late but making a fair attempt to clear the ball kicks into the sole of his boot in the last picture with Arquins boot no more than 5 or 6 inches off the ground. Sore yes but as the referee decided at the time no foul. Ridiculous decision.

Last week Dunfield got sent off for us for a tackle because he had two feet off the ground going into the challenge. Most if not all County fans accepted that under current rules you can't tackle like that. This is similar, he was frustrated with tussle before it at tackled with a straight right leg. If he caught Toshney a couple of inches higher it was a ankle breaker.

If St Mirren appeal I think it would be money wasted.

Last week Dunfield got sent off for us for a tackle because he had two feet off the ground going into the challenge. Most if not all County fans accepted that under current rules you can't tackle like that. This is similar, he was frustrated with tussle before it at tackled with a straight right leg. If he caught Toshney a couple of inches higher it was a ankle breaker.

He didn't though, and that's sort of the point. It looks like he caught him on the top of his foot. The challenge wasn't high. You might as well say if it was a foot higher it's a red card.

On the flip side if Toshney was half a second quicker it would have been Arquin that got it.

After watching it a few times I can see why the 4th official thought he maybe went in reckless as he seen in from behind. But I still think of it was that bad McIntyre/Dodds would have made a big song and dance about it. It was only until the ref came over that Dodds done the stamping motion which Britain did, maybe Dodds seen an opportunity to strategically influence the ref ;)

It was a foul on Arquin 2 seconds before it anyway so it would have been better if he just fell over and we would have been awarded the free kick.

Can I stop you there...

Here's the danger in stills Jehova...

attachicon.gifarquin.jpg

See my reply in the other thread:

I seen this on Twitter, so screen captured the tweet. Obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but looks like a bad lunge from Toshney in actual fact.

24fxulj.jpg

That tweet doesn't make sense. Toshney's wearing white boots, Arquin black. If anything, that clearly shows Arquin going in on Toshney's ankles.

Archived