Australian Open Tennis

lichtie23

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murray had 2 nice lob shots in the tie-breaker

2 sets up, two superb lobs from Murray during that tie break.

In from nightshift to watch the Semi. Chuffed with that

Missed Andy's morning glory.

Lobs and semis....exciting stuff indeed. I was the same the previous night watching Bouchard ;)

Was really impressed by Murray, that's the kind of match where in the past he'd have a 20 minute brain fart that lets his opponent back into the match and make it harder work for himself. He kept his intensity up for the the whole match. I'd rather he was playing Nadal in the semis, Berdych will capitalise if Murray gets a bit passive. He's not really done that this tournament though so hopefully he'll keep playing the way he has.

Murray was very focused and apart from one solitary bad service game he was incredibly solid. The most encouraging thing is he continues to make so many break opportunities and that will serve him well against Berdych. His use of spin and keeping the ball low was incredible. I thought Kyrgios let himself down a few times when he didn't move as he thought a point was won, and Murray made the shot. Some absolutely sublime passing shots and the three lobs on the run were incredible.

Similar tactics with spin and keeping the ball low will work with Berdych. The head to head record favours Berdych, but you could certainly discount clay court matches as Murray has always hated playing on the dirt.

The difference in play, serve, movement and power since last season is extremely noticeable. I am genuinely gutted that he didn't get to play Federer and Nadal.

Tonight's matches should be good. Contemplating getting up early to watch Nishikori Wawrinka. The QF at the US Open was tremendous. Flip a coin to who wins that. Nishikori's shot selection vs the Wawrinka back hand. I feel sometimes that Wawrinka uses his backhand a bit too much though.

Raonic will need to have the serving game of his life to beat Novak. Karlovic beat Novak already this season so there is a glimmer of hope. But can't see it myself. Although this Grand Slam has just about seen everything go the other way.

I've still not seen anything from Raonic to make me believe he can win major titles. Lacking a little something for me and got virtually zero chance against Djokovic. Nishikori will have a much better year than Wawrinka I think and should come out on top in the other match. Wawrinka has shown signs of weakness this tournament that opponents have not been good enough to capitalise upon.

Murray currently priced at 1.72, or about 8/11 if you prefer, against Berdych. This seems a very good bet based on what I've seen. You have to give Berdych credit for winning five matches without dropping a set, but if Murray plays like he did this morning I would expect him to win with a little to spare. The only problem would be if his first serve percentage drops below 60%.

Meanwhile big Stan outclassing this Nishikori chap. First time I've watched him live and whilst Stan has been very impressive so far, can't quite see the hype about Nishikori.

Looks like a straight sets job here. 6-2 4-2 as it stands.

Wawrinka was good today, his backhand was very good when he was in front. But it started to error in the tighter third set. Nishikori saved five match points as he came from 6-1 down in the tie break to level, but a mis timed drop shot hit the net to give Wawrinka the mini break back and another match point. He took it with an ace. But under pressure his shots were weak and mistimed. Nishikori couldn't get near him in the first set and a half, mainly due to bad serving by himself and Wawrinka serving exceptionally well.

A wee bit surprised Stan won in straight sets but Nishikori didn't show the same intensity that saw him beat Stan in the US Open.

I can't see anything other than a three tight sets win for Novak today. Raonic could take a set in a tie break, but until his return game greatly improves he isn't going to beat the top guys in a slam. Every off season he gets a little bit better though.

If Raonic loses, a win for Murray against Berdych will see the re-establishment of the big four in the rankings, if he was to win the Slam he would move ahead of Nadal.

Archived