Australian Open Tennis

lichtie23

Raonic does look like he would start chewing on the balls if left alone on court long enough.

He might make the odd quarter or semi final, like he has here, with a bit of luck in the draw but he is far too one dimensional to take on the big guys and hurt them. Take away his serve and he would be top 30 player at best IMO.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the hatred for Raonic? Decent player all other times i have watched but hammered today

All he really has in his locker is a big serve, been lots of times like today when he comes up against someone who can actually get the ball back in play that he has nothing else to offer.

There's been a lot of talk about Danny Vallverdu coaching Berdych now and being able to give him a good steer on a game plan to beat Murray. Personally, I think that's not much of a factor as all the top players know each other's game inside out. Murray on his game is capable of mixing up the play better than just about anyone on the tour and his variety might be good enough to see him through. He does have to serve well though as throughout his career, his second serve has been mince and Berdych will eat them up.

I noticed against Kyrgios, Murray eased off a bit in terms of power which meant Kyrgios had to generate much of the power on his returns himself. It also gave Murray a high percentage of first serves which he was absolutely solid behind. Might be a play against Berdych although Berdych will be far less likely than Kyrgios to stop and admire his shot when he thinks he has hit a winner only to find it comes straight back at him.

I disagree, Murray looks like the best player on the planet right now. And he's spent the least time on court and looks extrenely fresh and up for a scrap. Reminds me of his maiden GS run in '12. Sort of like 'no fucker is beating me here, not a chance'.

I realise I've just jinxed it of course.

There's been a lot of talk about Danny Vallverdu coaching Berdych now and being able to give him a good steer on a game plan to beat Murray. Personally, I think that's not much of a factor as all the top players know each other's game inside out. Murray on his game is capable of mixing up the play better than just about anyone on the tour and his variety might be good enough to see him through. He does have to serve well though as throughout his career, his second serve has been mince and Berdych will eat them up.

I noticed against Kyrgios, Murray eased off a bit in terms of power which meant Kyrgios had to generate much of the power on his returns himself. It also gave Murray a high percentage of first serves which he was absolutely solid behind. Might be a play against Berdych although Berdych will be far less likely than Kyrgios to stop and admire his shot when he thinks he has hit a winner only to find it comes straight back at him.

Murray is playing differently this season to when Vallerdu was there, subtle differences but certainly noticeable. Berdych is going to play how Berdych plays. Great serve, and booming ground strokes, but he is weak off his back hand. Murray has more variety in his game. Murray will not want to lose this match. As you say everyone knows how each other plays. Berdych also looked in imperious form last season until he met a lacklusture Wawrinka in the semi final, and choked under pressure. So far Berdych has not being under much pressure. He has played Falla, Troicki, Tomic and Melzer anyone in the top eight should be beating those comfortably. I feel his win over Nadal has seen him over rated to an extent. Nadal was waiting for someone to hammer.

Should be interesting. I have a sneaky feeling for Wawrinka on Friday too. Last three grand slam matches have all been five sets. I would expect something similar. If Wawrinka can serve well he certainly has a chance.

Even if Wawrinka doesn't win on Friday we could see a scenario where the semi final consists of Djokovic and a "second tier" guy beating each other up for 4+ hours and allowing Andy to capitalise on a clearly fatigued Djokovic on the Sunday.

Even if Wawrinka doesn't win on Friday we could see a scenario where the semi final consists of Djokovic and a "second tier" guy beating each other up for 4+ hours and allowing Andy to capitalise on a clearly fatigued Djokovic on the Sunday.

Agree. But oz 2012 murray v joker was Friday game(5 hrs) and then he beat Nadal (6hrs) on sunday. 2009 oz. Nadal v verdasco was friday game (5.5hrs) then beat fed in final....

Agree. But oz 2012 murray v joker was Friday game(5 hrs) and then he beat Nadal (6hrs) on sunday. 2009 oz. Nadal v verdasco was friday game (5.5hrs) then beat fed in final....

Sorry I was comparing it to wimbledon 2013, forgot to make that clear.

Archived