Partick Thistle v St Mirren 30/01/15

Pish from Thistle. I'd be less offended if I went out for a meal and watched the waiting staff spit in my food. The boys simply didn't give a shit tonight. Perhaps some heids are too busy with agents and contract meetings. A guess, but there must be a reason for that dire, unimaginative performance.

I'm repeating myself :whistle but if Alan and Scott can sort out why they put out a dog of a defence on nights like tonight then they might be getting somewhere. They've had the best part of two years to get that act together.

Anyhoo. Onwards.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football eh! We have played really well in recent games and mostly got f**k all. To-night we played shit and got a result. Maybe not pretty to watch but 3 points was far more important than trying to entertain TV viewers. We also started with 3 players who would not last 90 mins - Thommo who has hardly kicked a ball since last may, Dayton who isn't match fit and Osborne who had been carrying an injury. And we had precious few cavalry on the bench. So get an early goal and defend like your life depended on it. For Buddies it was a great night :)

I think tonight proves we'd all rather win ugly than lose playing nice football.

About time someone realised we aren't good enough to play like Barca at the back. Get Cheesy and Goodwin to leather in the ball to fck when they are in danger and let the midfield battle for 2nd balls, if it goes out for a throw in who cares re-group and start again.

Not pretty but I'm sick of us pounding teams and giving away a cheap goal at our end. Well done GT and the players.

We were absolutely shocking tonight. Worst performance since we came up. I would hate to watch St Mirren every week, but they dealt with us so comfortably. No idea what game the people who said Booth was decent were watching, I think I would've rather had Carroll there.

Awful game generally. Only highlights were Osman and Osbourne's battles. That'll be Osbourne out for the rest of the season now, Saints fans are lucky he lasted this long though.

Hopefully that'll be the last of the talk about top 6 and we can concentrate on staying up, and maybe trying to string two consecutive results (that aren't losses) together.

That's us up to 30 fucking matches on the consecutive outcome thing.

No doubt we'll get papped out the cup next week to end that sequence.

It would be the Thistle way. :(

We should play friday night football every week. At Firhill.

In other news, I looked at the table and noticed that we're now 10th! After Saturday, 'well will have a game in and and County will have two. What the hells that all about? :(

We were absolutely shocking tonight. Worst performance since we came up. I would hate to watch St Mirren every week, but they dealt with us so comfortably. No idea what game the people who said Booth was decent were watching, I think I would've rather had Carroll there.

Awful game generally. Only highlights were Osman and Osbourne's battles. That'll be Osbourne out for the rest of the season now, Saints fans are lucky he lasted this long though.

Hopefully that'll be the last of the talk about top 6 and we can concentrate on staying up, and maybe trying to string two consecutive results (that aren't losses) together.

Saints were poor tonight. But you need to realise, we were the away team and we got the early goal. What did you expect after we went 1 up?

The onus wasn't on us to attack the game, the onus was on Thistle.

Saints were poor tonight. But you need to realise, we were the away team and we got the early goal. What did you expect after we went 1 up?

The onus wasn't on us to attack the game, the onus was on Thistle.

Anger came out in that first post because of how shite we were tonight but I actually think that St Mirren had a game plan and stuck to it very, very effectively. I'd hate to watch you every week on the basis of how you've played at Firhill this season, but the credit was in how comfortably you dealt with us, you've been able to beat us twice in the league because you've been able to suss us out very quickly. Seemed to know exactly how we would play, and when we resorted to hoofball, your centre halves looked delighted to sweep it up.

Hopefully this Jags performance will encourage BT (and Sky) to keep away from our games, as we clearly forget what it's like to perform even remotely like a top flight team when the TV cameras are on us. We could still be playing right now (with the St Mirren players having long gone home) and still not scored.

We're still 7 points ahead of St Mirren with 2 games in hand, but I can't help but feel we might get dragged into this relegation battle again. The last two games have been inexcusably bad: two games in a row where we've abandoned our natural style and played this bizarre 'long ball to small players' game against teams with big defenders who deal with it comfortably. Pascali last week and Goodwin tonight have cruised through these games because we've just made it so easy for them.

Well done to St Mirren. Can't fault a team for sitting in when they know it's going to result in a win. I wonder when the next time the home team will win in this fixture. 11 games and counting.

7 points between Saints and County, 7 points between Saints and Thistle. We absolutely have to start looking up and believing we can catch other teams in the bottom six if we're to stay out of this mess. Simply passing Motherwell is not an option.

Saints got a lucky early goal, but after that they did what any team would do, defended their position and did it well. We had a spell in the first half where we were good and looked like we would get back into the game (without creating much) but St Mirren weathered that (relative) storm and the less said about our second half performance the better.

On that basis we deserved nothing from the game. St Mirren dealt so comfortably with our crap direct football and held the ball relatively well themselves. Only re-affirmed by belief that they will not finish in the bottom 2.

Horrible game and horrible performance from us. I've always worried that our tactical inflexibility would keep us down at the bottom and it was painfully obvious today. We started poorly and were a bit of a mess when St Mirren ran at us. The defending at the corner was a shambles, and hence the goal. Our 'game plan' (I'm not convinced we even have one for particular games) was knackered after six minutes as all St Mirren had to do for the rest of the game was close down our space in the final third, which they did with great success. We just have no idea how to take the game to a defending team, and tonight underlined that.

There were a lot of individual disappointments, but Bannigan stood out for me. We needed urgency being 1-0 down at home in an important game, and his tendency to pass it square slowed us down when we needed to move it onto the wide players quicker. That said I do like him, but I don't think we'll really see the best of him when Stevenson is playing anywhere other than up front. I'd either like to see him play in Lawless' left-sided position, or better, in front of Osman and Fraser in a more advanced midfield role where he is almost forced into running with the ball and being creative. I know it was against Ross County, but that was his role in the first game of the season and I think it was a model performance that we haven't really tried to exploit.

Consolation prize is that losing our next game would mean consecutive results which is, of course, impossible. So we should at least be in the hat for the quarter final draw in the Cup.

Think that was our worst footballing performance of the season.

BUT... team spirit, hard work, a good defensive display, a bit of luck (or at least no bad luck), and a ref not getting involved in any meaningful way - and it's a win and a clean sheet.

We played far better against Dundee and Well, but got nothing out of those games.

Football eh!

What are the chances our next game will see the first home win too!

We're still 7 points ahead of St Mirren with 2 games in hand, but I can't help but feel we might get dragged into this relegation battle again. The last two games have been inexcusably bad: two games in a row where we've abandoned our natural style and played this bizarre 'long ball to small players' game against teams with big defenders who deal with it comfortably. Pascali last week and Goodwin tonight have cruised through these games because we've just made it so easy for them.

The attempted long balls over the defence worked in one game and one game only. Our first game against Ross County. Every single person can see launching high to a fucking dwarf like Lawless and Doolan isn't going to work.

BOOOOOOOO

Why did Osman get far more verbal abuse from the Saints fans than other Thistle players involved in tussles? :huh:

Because of the tackle on Osbourne. There was no abuse of Osman until then whatsoever, as has been said their physical battle was pretty damn entertaining until Osman finished his game (and knowing big Isaac, his season).

Archived