Partick Thistle v St Mirren 30/01/15

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not pretty to watch? I thought it was a cracking competitive game with end to end football and a great atmosphere.

Maybe it was just the pillar in front of me and being rat arsed...

I loved the game and the atmosphere. A great game of chess. However if I was a neutral I do not think I would have been too impressed at watching one team defending in depth against a team that had no idea of what to do about it :)

Because of the tackle on Osbourne. There was no abuse of Osman until then whatsoever, as has been said their physical battle was pretty damn entertaining until Osman finished his game (and knowing big Isaac, his season).

The 50/50 ball?

What was that SFA song the saints were singing?

The 50/50 ball?

What was that SFA song the saints were singing?

SFA w**k w**k w**k :P. Mallans was never a booking but the ref was very good.

He let the battle commence between the Oz's.

Thistle fans made a ridiculous shout for a penalty mid way through the 2nd half.

SFA w**k w**k w**k :P. Mallans was never a booking but the ref was very good.

He let the battle commence between the Oz's.

Thistle fans made a ridiculous shout for a penalty mid way through the 2nd half.

Was Mallan's the first St. Mirren booking? Didn't think that was a booking either. Hardly remember us being in the box in the 2nd half let alone a penalty shout.

Initially I thought we could have got a penalty for a push on Stevenson when he missed his chance but the replay showed it was actually good defending.

Saints got a lucky early goal, but after that they did what any team would do, defended their position and did it well. We had a spell in the first half where we were good and looked like we would get back into the game (without creating much) but St Mirren weathered that (relative) storm and the less said about our second half performance the better.

On that basis we deserved nothing from the game. St Mirren dealt so comfortably with our crap direct football and held the ball relatively well themselves. Only re-affirmed by belief that they will not finish in the bottom 2.

Yep! Couldn't agree more. So disappointing to see Jags players reduced to doing mid-field backpasses to each other because they'd given up any thought of trying to score.

I think we are too baws deep into the season now, but assuming he could be replaced with someone alot better, come end of season I'd like to see Archie replaced. He just hasn't progressed from last season and the same errors keep occurring.

Unprefuckingdictable hardly begins to describe Thistle's performance this season.

Hope it doesn't happen but would it be a record if they failed to get two consecutive results for a whole season?

:(

Actually last night was the most predictable result and performance of the season so far for the,reasons I outlined pre game, so much so that I stuck a tenner on St Mirren to win to nil at 5/1.

Slept on it and I'm still in heads gone territory over how poor we were last night - the inspired tactical change was Fraser taking the ball 20 yards inside his own half and punting it to no one.

If we'd won last night wed have been clear of relegation but we're back in it now. We'll probably still be ok as once in every 6 or 7 games we pull a performance from nowhere but the last 2 games have been more reflective of the season so far ie pish.

It was another game where we allowed the opposition's set-up to dictate our style of play; the exact same thing happened at Kilmarnock last week where they sat quite high up on our full-backs and sitting midfielders, forcing us to go long. For the first quarter of the game, I thought St Mirren played quite well and got a goal that had been coming. As soon as they had something to defend, it was always going to be difficult for us because we often struggle to breakdown teams and overturn a deficit.

We appear to have developed a new attacking threat through O'Donnell's long throw. If you watch any team defend a long throw, the ball invariably lands on the edge of the penalty box; yet on the numerous occasions where we had one of these opportunities, we repeatedly failed to populate that area. I lost count of the times where we would have had a good chance with the goalkeeper unsighted because of the crowed penalty area.

I supported the re-introduction of Bannigan last night but I thought he was very poor throughout. He took the safe option far too often and when he didn't, his cross-field passing was inaccurate. On too many occasions, he and Osman were looking to collect the ball in the same area of the pitch and our midfield suffered for it. For me, Osman displayed why he wouldn't be a great miss should he not sign a new deal - he is the epitome of our inconsistency.

Higginbotham certainly didn't look injured when he went off and I didn't see any physio following him down the tunnel; what I did see was him trudge off the park, avoid shaking Archie's hand and make a beeline for the dressing room. I don't have any problem whatsoever with his ongoing contract situation but that isn't the kind of behaviour I want to see from a Thistle player. Even if he had picked up a slight knock, he should be staying on the bench to support his teammates. It certainly doesn't do the notion that he has a tendency to be selfish/petulant any good.

I can see why Archie was keen to get Booth - and I can also see why Stubbs didn't fancy him at Hibs. Going forward, he looks like he could offer a threat; reminded me of Twaddle at times and he runs the line well. Defensively though, he shirked some challenges and was occasionally drawn infield. I still tend to think an O'Donnell/Booth full-back combination is slightly gung-ho but it should suit us when we're in the ascendency in games.

Stevenson, Lawless and the aforementioned Higginbotham all failed to pick up the second ball when we inevitably punted it long to Doolan; as such, I thought they were all pretty poor although you can't fault any of them for effort.

Call me old fashioned but if you're chasing a game, increasing your number of attacking options would seem like a sensible move - not replacing your main centre-forward to maintain a one striker formation and then moving your centre-halves up front for injury time. To be fair however, I think we could still be playing and have not scored.

Extremely frustrating and absolutely disappointing but not the end of the world. If we continue this ridiculous pattern of inconsistent results, i.e win/draw/lose, for the rest of the season, we'll stay up. We'll maybe not finish as high up the table as we should but at least we'll still be in the division and that would have to be considered a successful season, in my opinion.

Archived