Summer football

Krfc 10

clash city rocker; An excellent summary of the current set up. Maybe time the top clubs throw their weight about a bit more. It's not a matter of US / THEM, but a matter of income for pro run teams in the junior grade,

The hopes of a draw against Talbot, Rose, Bo'ness or Pollok to give the amateur juniors a big boost are gone. All that happens is clubs lose huge amounts in the north/south pointless games.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite what people think about the summer football talk thread being brought up again it always ends up a good debate with pros and cons for both sides. Personally I would love to see it given a bash. I read someone on here state our season already ends in June so how would we manage it but what people have to remember is a lot of these postponed games are put off AM by refs due to parks being frozen but as the day goes on they do thaw out and could have been played at night. If games are affected by frost , snow at the beginning/end of the proposed summer season I'm sure a lot of these games would be playable mid week at night preventing a back log off games. Even with the water logged pitches, how many times have we seen a game called off on a Saturday only for the weather to brighten during the week then have another downpour on the Friday night/ Saturday morning putting the game off again. Being able to play midweek games will also help this scenario. Cup replays could also be scheduled for midweeks also meaning Saturday cards are not affected and league games could go ahead as scheduled, we could even then have a proper fixture list.... Wouldn't that be a forward thinking idea !!! Can you imagine a fixture list for the juniors.... Nah neither could I!!! :D

Weeks without games strangles the finances of clubs as the players need to get paid and there is little or no income. Also trying to get indoor training facilities is very difficult. Definitely time to give it a try at least.

Tell me about it. Our last home game was on 29th November 2014.

Above is absolute nonsense..

Society has changed and i bet almost every club is missing at least one player each week too either work/or weekends away for various reasons,

If a player takes a 2 week summer holiday he would probably miss 2-3 games at most,

People take holidays all year round,

Counter arguement will be what if 10 of your squad are on holiday at the same time for the Glasgow/Edinburgh fair.

Ive never seen it happen in recent years,

At most you will be missing 3-4 players at any one time, Just like when you play pre season friendlies and league matches early August.

Well put Jacktonite, you hit a load of salient points.

Would like comments on the following statistics, not mine but provided by my west of Scotland mate.

Games since end of November. Assuming that a full program by the 160+ clubs would be 80 matches.

6th December Played 61 Games off 19

13th " " 9 " " 71

20th " " 47 " " 33

27th " " 18 " " 62

3RD January " ? ?

10th " " 33 " " 47

17th " " 3 " " 77

24th " " 14 " " 66

31st " " 22 " " 58

Played 207 Off 433.

Big list of clubs with little no income over December/January fixtures.

3rd January no figures

6th December to 31st January EIGHT SATURDAYS (Exclude 3rd Jan) Played

Well put Jacktonite, you hit a load of salient points.

Would like comments on the following statistics, not mine but provided by my west of Scotland mate.

Games since end of November. Assuming that a full program by the 160+ clubs would be 80 matches.

6th December Played 61 Games off 19

13th " " 9 " " 71

20th " " 47 " " 33

27th " " 18 " " 62

3RD January " ? ?

10th " " 33 " " 47

17th " " 3 " " 77

24th " " 14 " " 66

31st " " 22 " " 58

Played 207 Off 433.

Big list of clubs with little no income over December/January fixtures.

3rd January no figures

6th December to 31st January EIGHT SATURDAYS (Exclude 3rd Jan) Played

Worth noting that in the East (at least) 27th Dec and 3rd Jan were opt-in weeks. Fixtures were issued only if clubs wanted them. Don't know if the North and West were the same

" wife and kids im sorry but your school summer holidays abroad are cancelled as daddy has to play junior fitba ". :huh: :huh:
"Daddy "doesn't need to do anything he doesn't want to do. There is no shortage of football players out there.Another example of the interests of players etc coming before those who pay at the gate and maybe the game as a whole.

Can I refer you to an article by Alan Cotton voicing his concerns for Junior football on "The Juniors" website.He was a coach at St. Mirren and various other clubs.

Is this the same Alan cotton the serial resigner at every job he's had in the juniors ? :);)

"Daddy "doesn't need to do anything he doesn't want to do. There is no shortage of football players out there.Another example of the interests of players etc coming before those who pay at the gate and maybe the game as a whole.

I think though that the interests of the players has to be a top priority along with the fans interests too .

Lots of people myself included like to enjoy doing other things when the football season ends as things stand.

Whether it be playing golf , going somewhere nice and warm or just taking a break from football.

Agreed though that the winter freeze is horrible and does hamper us every year but if we want summer football can someone guarantee when we actually get good Scottish summer weather ?

Games could be rained off in peak summer time in Scotland and when also do pitches get recovery time when they're played on in " summer " months?

I think though that the interests of the players has to be a top priority along with the fans interests too .

Lots of people myself included like to enjoy doing other things when the football season ends as things stand.

Whether it be playing golf , going somewhere nice and warm or just taking a break from football.

Agreed though that the winter freeze is horrible and does hamper us every year but if we want summer football can someone guarantee when we actually get good Scottish summer weather ?

Games could be rained off in peak summer time in Scotland and when also do pitches get recovery time when they're played on in " summer " months?

When was the last time 60 odd games were cancelled on the one Sat in say Aug.? Don't think summer football automatically prohibits you from taking a summer holiday or playing golf either.Most are getting a break from football now.

Yep maybe he was too good for that.

Maybe you were Alan ;)

But the facts don't lie.

A wee half baked spell at pollok behind the scenes and a swift exit .

A wee spell at Dalry and a swift exit .

And I called the imminent exit at girvan on here and was proven correct in only a matter of months. ;)

Too good maybe in his own mind but the stats don't lie and where is the serial resigner now?

And while you're at it can you tell me what his roles were at Ayr,Cowdenbeath,Gretna and St Mirren? After that could you tell me the last time 60 odd games were called off in Aug.because of waterlogged pitches?

Archived