Summer football

Krfc 10

FFS you've went from Cowdenbeath to the real brazil in two posts .

Who cares about Cowdenbeath or brazil as we are on to talk about junior football here.

A mans game and not for quitters .

Are you sober?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think you need to necessarily change to much to have summer football.

Just alter the season to run from start of August to say mid December, then have a month and a half break and run from start of Feb through to end of June, which gives all of July off and the christmas period and January off. That way players can get a rest in the summer and winter, and the club could if they wanted plan "glamour" friendlies over the christmas period to boost there coffers

I would start with the local sectional league cups as normal, then get a good amount of league games into the first half with maybe 3 rounds max of the junior Cup.

Have the rest of the cup games in the 2nd half with the remaining league games.

However the introduction of a proper fixture list (which obviosuly can change during the season if required) and playing games under floodlights would also go a huge way to tackling the problems.

I dont think you need to necessarily change to much to have summer football.

Just alter the season to run from start of August to say mid December, then have a month and a half break and run from start of Feb through to end of June, which gives all of July off and the christmas period and January off. That way players can get a rest in the summer and winter, and the club could if they wanted plan "glamour" friendlies over the christmas period to boost there coffers

I would start with the local sectional league cups as normal, then get a good amount of league games into the first half with maybe 3 rounds max of the junior Cup.

Have the rest of the cup games in the 2nd half with the remaining league games.

However the introduction of a proper fixture list (which obviosuly can change during the season if required) and playing games under floodlights would also go a huge way to tackling the problems.

Your suggestions might just be the compromise needed, but a bit of thought to consider the problems.

Seniors plan to start early July next year with regional sections.(May just be a proposal not yet approved)

Summer football is the only way, playing in the winter is ridiculous especially at junior level.

Unfortunately football and the Junior game in particular is full of people who fear change and will vehemently defend the status quo, for no other reason than "it's the way it's always been".

Wake up, we attempt to play football through three months of the year which are completely prohibitive, the games we do get on are played in near darkness and low temperatures, no fun for anyone involved.

The same old excuses about holidays are trotted out every time it's discussed and are a flimsy argument, players miss games all through the season due to all manner of other commitments. I'm also certain that the bad weather puts off a far larger number of supporters each week than the number that just happen to be away on holiday on any given week in the summer.

There's a chance to make a positive change but I'm resigned to the fact we won't see it when all the clubs are ran by old boys with their rose tinted memories of years gone by.

Summer football is the only way, playing in the winter is ridiculous especially at junior level.

Unfortunately football and the Junior game in particular is full of people who fear change and will vehemently defend the status quo, for no other reason than "it's the way it's always been".

Wake up, we attempt to play football through three months of the year which are completely prohibitive, the games we do get on are played in near darkness and low temperatures, no fun for anyone involved.

The same old excuses about holidays are trotted out every time it's discussed and are a flimsy argument, players miss games all through the season due to all manner of other commitments. I'm also certain that the bad weather puts off a far larger number of supporters each week than the number that just happen to be away on holiday on any given week in the summer.

There's a chance to make a positive change but I'm resigned to the fact we won't see it when all the clubs are ran by old boys with their rose tinted memories of years gone by.

Totally agree. Its not so much "summer " fitba as avoiding the worst of winter conditions, the vast majority of call offs will be in December & January so wouldn't it make sense to avoid those months altogether? We already play in the summer anyway, many clubs are still active into June and pre season friendlies begin in July. Ive been watching Glasgow City for 4 years, their season is March- November and they've had not one postponement due to the weather in that time.Too many folk in the juniors are dinosaurs with prehistoric attitudes!

When would any games postponed after mid/late-August be rescheduled.

Would be few, but I suppose the program could run on into November to clear the field. Presume there would be no idle Saturdays in August/September, for the outdated local weekend holiday. Also into September midweek 6-00pm kick off could be considered

Weighing up this thread, looks as though Summer is winning hands down. Many clubs going through the enforced winter shutdown right now, are willing to have a go at SUMMER FOOTBALL. Surprised the live and hope for a weather break, winter mudheaps, frost, rain and snow brigade have not complained about the midgees midweek in summer. :rolleyes:

Plus neither Denmark nor Russia use summer football (i.e. Mar>Nov/similar).

If you read my post i suggest 2 month shutdown,

Russias season is from 1st August-29th May, 30 league games and close down for 3 months between 8th December-6th March

Denmark start on 18th July and have fixtures up until 9th March ( not sure if the league splits and have more fixtures after this)

They also shut down from 8th December to 20th February

why cant we do similar too this??

however do they manage in Brazil?

Point taken DOA,I suppose a regular touch of water in extreme circumstances would help

Interesting stats, Fife Journeyman.

Beith's Hertha seems to be fighting a lone battle. Maybe a winter break in Alaska would cheer him up.

Would love summer football but just find it totally unworkable to run right throughout .

As I said previous our park is closed for at least 4 weeks from mid June into early July for essential pitch maintainence. When would this be done if we played right through?

Also a lot of our fans & committee do other things through the summer months is golf/bowling & not just the older generation so where would the day to day running of the club go ?

LADESIDE

And where are the youths who are willing to take over from these " old boys " then?

Its a known fact that most junior committees are mostly full of elderly guys but maybe if the younger guys chose to help them rather than coming on forums and moaning then things might just get better.

I dare say most old guys would welcome young guys on their committee but usually the excuse whether its genuine or not is cited as the young guys not having the time to help .

Lots of it is bollocks of course as the ronneys & boals and such like at the top of junior teams have got hugely pressured jobs with very little time on their hands but they choose to make time for their clubs.

Totally agree. Its not so much "summer " fitba as avoiding the worst of winter conditions, the vast majority of call offs will be in December & January so wouldn't it make sense to avoid those months altogether?

But as pointed-out... what happens if the bad weather strikes in November or February? We don't have winters like Scandanavia or Siberia when you can predict, fairly accurately, a prolonged period of snowbound or freezing conditions. Some recent winters have been fairly mild - or at least December and January have been. You could sit doing nothing in December and January and waste lots of perfectly good weekends, then come February a few weeks of bad weather strikes.

Ive been watching Glasgow City for 4 years, their season is March- November and they've had not one postponement due to the weather in that time.Too many folk in the juniors are dinosaurs with prehistoric attitudes!

It's been mentioned already, but the womens game here is not a reasonable comparison. They only have a few dozen clubs, a high proportion of 3G (in some cases as they can't get a grass pitch over the summer), and only play 21 league games + 2 cups of 5 & 3 rounds respectively.

Would be few, but I suppose the program could run on into November to clear the field. Presume there would be no idle Saturdays in August/September, for the outdated local weekend holiday. Also into September midweek 6-00pm kick off could be considered

I thought the proposed season was March to November. Are you saying its actually March to October - just 8 months? You lose light at rate of 15mins per week so you'd only get 1 extra midweek at 6pm in early September, btw, and the clubs would have to be neighbours.

I think the holiday argument being made is a bit misleading too. Of course more holidays are taken at non-traditional times of year but summer remains the main time for holidays. It must also remain by far and away the main time for holidays of those with children - which many players are.

Also, if the season ran March- Oct/Nov we would avoid the annual end of season fixture pile up madness, where teams have to play half a seasons games in the last 2 months. Iv'e no doubt a few games would be postponed during a "summer" season but we would nt have the current farce where almost entire fixture cards are decimated for weeks on end.

And where are the youths who are willing to take over from these " old boys " then?

Its a known fact that most junior committees are mostly full of elderly guys but maybe if the younger guys chose to help them rather than coming on forums and moaning then things might just get better.

I dare say most old guys would welcome young guys on their committee but usually the excuse whether its genuine or not is cited as the young guys not having the time to help .

Lots of it is bollocks of course as the ronneys & boals and such like at the top of junior teams have got hugely pressured jobs with very little time on their hands but they choose to make time for their clubs.

When I say "Old boys" I'm getting at "old" attitudes formed through years of involvement more than age, I'm well aware not all staunch defenders of the status quo are elderly guys.

I do think most committee members are forward thinking and have the advancement of their clubs and Junior football as a whole at heart, there are undeniably a lot though who have real influence and are not open to change of any sort which I fear is enough to stop the summer football argument gaining any real traction.

None of this is a slant at the vast majority of committee members, I admire their dedication and the time that they give up. There are plenty of people of all ages give their skills and time to clubs, from taking gate money, selling raffle tickets to running websites, filming highlights etc, that should be remembered rather than just writing people on forums off as just "Young guys moaning".

But as pointed-out... what happens if the bad weather strikes in November or February? We don't have winters like Scandanavia or Siberia when you can predict, fairly accurately, a prolonged period of snowbound or freezing conditions. Some recent winters have been fairly mild - or at least December and January have been. You could sit doing nothing in December and January and waste lots of perfectly good weekends, then come February a few weeks of bad weather strikes.

Firstly if the season ran from March- mid- Nov (like the womens) u wouldnt be playing in February. Am fairly sure the vast majority of postponements occur from Dec- Feb. Therefore wouldnt it be sensible to avoid these months altogether, particularly as mentioned, the juniors mostly play on grass parks? There will of course be call offs outside these months but not to the extent of whole fixtures cards being wiped out sometimes for weeks on end like in the current season. Can u recall the last time this happened from March- November?

Point taken DOA,I suppose a regular touch of water in extreme circumstances would help

Beith's Hertha seems to be fighting a lone battle. Maybe a winter break in Alaska would cheer him up.

Regular watering is the key...just like bowling greens,golf courses or even the nice flower beds we get in summer but not in winter.It is far far easier to treat grass when it is growing with the regeneration products available these days and stuff that kills moss kills weeds kills every known affliction yet the grass remains healthy.Junior pitches are in far better nick these days than they were 20-25 years ago,clubs vertidrain and look after pitches far more than they ever did.Councils would just come in with heavy tractors and big cutting decks causing more damage than necessary and throw down turf rather than take the time to seed and care for affected areas.

You clearly can't count if you think I'm alone in this thread in not wanting summer football :huh:

Away you go back to playing with your vajankle you zoomer :)

Summer football in an ideal world would be great, but its not just holidays that make it unworkable, pitch maintenance, dodgy weather meaning games called off once the dark nights come in would b hard to reschedule. People are talking bout playing midweek etc during the summer, yet complain when they already do that at the end of the season, wheres the difference? I see first hand how much maintenance goes on at the Ants over the summer, not just on the park but the surrounds as well to get it ready for the new season, hows that gonna get done in Feb/March at night, its a great idea but just not workable

Let's be Frank here (or do you wanna be?)

Hertha has a better arguement than most as he is part of a club unlike some who only honourary themselves

Let's hope am no banned unlike some for this comment lol ???

LADESIDE

Summer football in an ideal world would be great, but its not just holidays that make it unworkable, pitch maintenance, dodgy weather meaning games called off once the dark nights come in would b hard to reschedule. People are talking bout playing midweek etc during the summer, yet complain when they already do that at the end of the season, wheres the difference? I see first hand how much maintenance goes on at the Ants over the summer, not just on the park but the surrounds as well to get it ready for the new season, hows that gonna get done in Feb/March at night, its a great idea but just not workable

Best post of the thread for me :)

Archived