Summer football

Krfc 10

Surely keeping things as they are threatens the existence of many junior clubs ? The ones who aren`t that great financially at any time ..

Usually clubs can play until 3rd week in December .. one year in the last five was a wipe-out at that time. But playing Jan and Feb isn`t so lucky. I`d say break from Xmas until 2nd week in Feb ... no Junior cup ties set in Dec, Jan or Feb .. and secretaries ready (as in East this week) to set new fixtures, or provisionals, at short notice. That way, inspections won`t be required before 1200 and more games will play. West and North should move their ko`s back to 1430 (except Nov/Dec) ...

Junior AGM should come earlier ( 1st sat in June) .. finish season earlier and re-start with SFA on July 1st, so getting poss friendlies with SPFL clubs.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing that could help getting games on in the winter months is every club working towards getting an artificial pitch installed. I was at Petershill on Saturday watching Rossvale v EK Thistle. In my opinion it has to be the way forward. It was a fast paced game with plenty of decent football played. Great wee set up there but there needs to be more of that around the country. The footballing authorities and the Scottish government should be working towards helping teams get these pitches installed. They are then there for the local communities and can become a source of income for these sides. I would rather play on grass but we have to be realistic about the ability to maintain a decent playing surface and getting games on regularly over the winter.

Feeble excuses????? Not excuses FACTS !!! So folk don't golf,bowl,take holidays? Pitches don't need maintained? It's that good an idea that senior football who's crowds are disappearing like snaw aff a dyke in a summers day , DON'T implement it ???

Your post is puzzling 'baldy' From November to present mates of mine have had HOLIDAYS, They have continued to play golf go to the gym, swim, go out jogging(Well MOSTLY the younger brigade) Play badminton,and still would manage to watch the juniors if we have fixtures. Do you think they all hibernate from November to Spring. May as well do that the junior game.

I am totally against summer football. It just wouldn't work.

(And for the benefit of DOA I am not at any table - I am waiting at the counter for my take away order, using my phone to check P&B...)

you seem to have taken that right to heart. Interesting.

It's not really interesting mate, it's pretty boring...

You were aiming your statement at the wrong person It was Mr Hertha who said you were at the"top table" if you were against summer football, not me. It was interesting enough for you to reply and not just dismiss the whole thing as being boring.

Only thing that could help getting games on in the winter months is every club working towards getting an artificial pitch installed. I was at Petershill on Saturday watching Rossvale v EK Thistle. In my opinion it has to be the way forward. It was a fast paced game with plenty of decent football played. Great wee set up there but there needs to be more of that around the country. The footballing authorities and the Scottish government should be working towards helping teams get these pitches installed. They are then there for the local communities and can become a source of income for these sides. I would rather play on grass but we have to be realistic about the ability to maintain a decent playing surface and getting games on regularly over the winter.

No thank you would rather sit in the hoose waiting for spring than watch fitba played on a carpet every week. ..especially in characterless soulless council run venues like that.

If you have inside information on SFA on the winter break then perhaps SJFA would follow suit.

One of the biggest problems in fixtures is the Scottish Cup. Prime example past four weeks that will no doubt extend into later February. It upsets mainly the top clubs playing havoc to what is recognised as the main feature in the rest of the football world THE LEAGUES. This leads to the pile up late in the season along with so many meaningless fixtures since championships promotion and relegation is already settled.

The basic fact is that the outmoded approach by the juniors needs fixing one way or another.

No inside information, Stewart Regan tweeted it a few days ago, its on the agenda for discussion. The Alloa club chairman responded by saying he would be in full agreement.

I'll sit at anyone's table if there is free grub - especially if they are also completely disinterested in summer football. :)

Free grub at my place, but you need to sign upto more fitba in summer*

*Not the same thing as summer fitba :P

No inside information, Stewart Regan tweeted it a few days ago, its on the agenda for discussion. The Alloa club chairman responded by saying he would be in full agreement.

I don't imagine this would be the sort of protracted winter break you envisage, though.

At best it'd presumably be a couple of weekends in January, which SPL has previously tried (and quickly ditched).

Afterall, why would they shutdown for a lengthy period.

SPFL sees few postponements these days, you can't predict when bad weather will strike, it affects cashflow, and where would the games go.

Doncaster/Blair have recently bemoaned midweeks (for attendances), and STV say they're considering LC groups (i.e. additional games) in July.

I'd certainly be against Berwick having to play more midweeks, whilst doing nothing on weekends when weather might be fine. Makes no sense.

If anything, such a break might be an ideal time for the lower and non-leagues to play, too.

Fans of big clubs with blank weekends might want games - unlike the summer, there aren't as many other things for them to be doing. Bit like international breaks.

Your becoming a wee bit obsessed with me now aren't you?

Seek help .

Its available ;)

You seem equally obsessed with me. Even when you say "goodbye" you still keep replying.You even thought I was Cotton,silly boy.

Maybe your memory isn't so good right enough.Is the pub still busy?

You seem equally obsessed with me. Even when you say "goodbye" you still keep replying.You even thought I was Cotton,silly boy.Maybe your memory isn't so good right enough.Is the pub still busy?

Yup the pubs quite busy and the top table is total quality ;)

You might cut it at the top table some day :)

I don't imagine this would be the sort of protracted winter break you envisage, though.

At best it'd presumably be a couple of weekends in January, which SPL has previously tried (and quickly ditched).

Afterall, why would they shutdown for a lengthy period.

SPFL sees few postponements these days, you can't predict when bad weather will strike, it affects cashflow, and where would the games go.

Doncaster/Blair have recently bemoaned midweeks (for attendances), and STV say they're considering LC groups (i.e. additional games) in July.

I'd certainly be against Berwick having to play more midweeks, whilst doing nothing on weekends when weather might be fine. Makes no sense.

If anything, such a break might be an ideal time for the lower and non-leagues to play, too.

Fans of big clubs with blank weekends might want games - unlike the summer, there aren't as many other things for them to be doing. Bit like international breaks.

Stewart Regan @StewartMRegan · Feb 6

We really need a joined-up effort to plan a mid-season break for those leagues that are up for it. Football on light nights anyone?

mike mulraney @mikemulraney1

@StewartMRegan That would be a yes from me. Summer football would get my vote if possible

At the end of the day, if you were starting from scratch, there is no way you would choose winter over summer in a climate like ours. No country as far north as Scotland play a full winter season. They either play summer, or with an extended winter break (6-8 weeks).

Rugby League is a prime example of a traditional sport moving seasons and thriving because of it.

I wouldn't personally go full summer at the moment, just an extended break and playing into mid June.

Archived