Summer football

Krfc 10

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only started following junior football in the past 2 years. Mate is a Lok fan and I'll go to games when the Sons aren't at home.

I've always wondered if summer football would be an option for the juniors? I know that there would be problems with player availability - guys deserve the chance to go on holiday with their families or friends - but on the flip side there could be bumper crowds as senior football fans looked for teams to follow over the summer. Would a move to summer football swell crowds between May and August?

With the lack of weather-related problems and potentially increased crowds, there's certainly an attraction in summer football.

yeah mate been argued since day I joined this forum and for people to say most want it annoys me as it's not been put to vote. If it goes to vote just now when games being called off then bias will be to summer.it goes to vote near summer at end of season when players have there holidays with there kids and fans have holidays booked.time off work booked to go holiday etc then the same wins

yeah mate been argued since day I joined this forum and for people to say most want it annoys me as it's not been put to vote. If it goes to vote just now when games being called off then bias will be to summer.it goes to vote near summer at end of season when players have there holidays with there kids and fans have holidays booked.time off work booked to go holiday etc then the same wins

I totally agree with you gingerblastie, It should go to the vote, a vote by all registered junior clubs. If the individual clubs wish to consult their fans so be it. I agree it raises its ugly head every season when we hit bad weather, but the main point surely must be what is best for the junior game.

Support is seriously down and the top- clubs ten years go could regularly hit over 1,000. The competition at this time of the year is immense with Englands Premier League on view the whole weekend, with three Saturday games quite normal. Elsewhere the attraction of watching horse racing and rugby is oft preferred to venturing out on a damp,freezing winters day.

Let the clubs decide after consulting their fans, put the subject away until the next time it is raised possibly putting a five year trial whatever is decdided.

I've only started following junior football in the past 2 years. Mate is a Lok fan and I'll go to games when the Sons aren't at home.

I've always wondered if summer football would be an option for the juniors? I know that there would be problems with player availability - guys deserve the chance to go on holiday with their families or friends - but on the flip side there could be bumper crowds as senior football fans looked for teams to follow over the summer. Would a move to summer football swell crowds between May and August?

With the lack of weather-related problems and potentially increased crowds, there's certainly an attraction in summer football.

This crowds would swell thing just isn't true. Most senior football fans wouldn't watch a Junior game if it was being played in their front garden. The facilities and overall standard just isn't there to entice them - even Dumbarton fans. Yes there are some decent sides at the top end of the junior leagues but that's about 20 out the entire grade who would consistently play at a level close to or just below SPFL2.

And when the world cup and/or euros are on, you can discount a number of regular junior fans. And that's after you exclude the ones that are on a golf course, at a wedding or piloting a yacht around the Bahamas as part of their Fair fortnight's break.

It's an absolute non-starter. If it were a starter, the seniors would have been on it as a money spinner already never mind the Juniors.

This crowds would swell thing just isn't true. Most senior football fans wouldn't watch a Junior game if it was being played in their front garden. The facilities and overall standard just isn't there to entice them - even Dumbarton fans. Yes there are some decent sides at the top end of the junior leagues but that's about 20 out the entire grade who would consistently play at a level close to or just below SPFL2.

And when the world cup and/or euros are on, you can discount a number of regular junior fans. And that's after you exclude the ones that are on a golf course, at a wedding or piloting a yacht around the Bahamas as part of their Fair fortnight's break.

It's an absolute non-starter. If it were a starter, the seniors would have been on it as a money spinner already never mind the Juniors.

That's a pretty poor scaremongering post.

That's a pretty poor scaremongering post.

No it's not, a fair few guy's that follow senior/junior fitbaw golf,play bowls, and as the guy said what happens when it's world cup time or Euro s ?

Also what about committee men they not to get a break ?

What about pitch maintenance , when does that get done ?

And if it's so bloody good an idea why ain't the seniors doing it ?

No it's not, a fair few guy's that follow senior/junior fitbaw golf,play bowls, and as the guy said what happens when it's world cup time or Euro s ? Also what about committee men they not to get a break ?What about pitch maintenance , when does that get done ? And if it's so bloody good an idea why ain't the seniors doing it ?

Whit about the midges.

No it's not, a fair few guy's that follow senior/junior fitbaw golf,play bowls, and as the guy said what happens when it's world cup time or Euro s ? Also what about committee men they not to get a break ?What about pitch maintenance , when does that get done ? And if it's so bloody good an idea why ain't the seniors doing it ?

All these reasons you've cited are feeble excuses to avoid change.

All these reasons you've cited are feeble excuses to avoid change.

Feeble excuses?????

Not excuses FACTS !!!

So folk don't golf,bowl,take holidays?

Pitches don't need maintained?

It's that good an idea that senior football who's crowds are disappearing like snaw aff a dyke in a summers day , DON'T implement it ???

Feeble excuses?????Not excuses FACTS !!!So folk don't golf,bowl,take holidays?Pitches don't need maintained?It's that good an idea that senior football who's crowds are disappearing like snaw aff a dyke in a summers day , DON'T implement it ???

Well said baldy .

People are deluded on here at times and think things like if a junior team moved to a brand new all seated stadium that the crowds would increase significantly .

Same with the summer football theory as well and while we all want to see junior football flourishing we sometimes need to accept that all clubs have got a hardcore of fans who will always stick by their team .

Always wanting to get new fans of course but this bloody antiquated " junior " tag does more harm than " winter football " or grounds with no seats .

World cups , european cups , guys wanting to play golf, play bowls , attend family events like barbecues when the weather gives you half a chance , the pitch recovery/ being fertilised in the " summer months " , players & committee / fans going on holiday during paisley / Glasgow fair peak holiday periods are all some reasons for me not to want to play summer football.

Also when the sun comes out so does loads of nutters who want to get tanked up beyond help and these guys stoating into junior football grounds with loads of drink in their systems could be another headache.

Ask any police officer and they would probably tell you that crime goes up in the hot weather when people's heads tend to go crazy with the combination of the sun and drink .

A big no thanks for me in wishing to self police home and away fans with that one from time to time .

Well said baldy .

People are deluded on here at times and think things like if a junior team moved to a brand new all seated stadium that the crowds would increase significantly .

Same with the summer football theory as well and while we all want to see junior football flourishing we sometimes need to accept that all clubs have got a hardcore of fans who will always stick by their team .

Always wanting to get new fans of course but this bloody antiquated " junior " tag does more harm than " winter football " or grounds with no seats .

World cups , european cups , guys wanting to play golf, play bowls , attend family events like barbecues when the weather gives you half a chance , the pitch recovery/ being fertilised in the " summer months " , players & committee / fans going on holiday during paisley / Glasgow fair peak holiday periods are all some reasons for me not to want to play summer football.

Also when the sun comes out so does loads of nutters who want to get tanked up beyond help and these guys stoating into junior football grounds with loads of drink in their systems could be another headache.

Ask any police officer and they would probably tell you that crime goes up in the hot weather when people's heads tend to go crazy with the combination of the sun and drink .

A big no thanks for me in wishing to self police home and away fans with that one from time to time .

shut up mate and get on fifa for a tanking haha

Play more football in the summer months, play less football in the winter months. It's the sane thing to do hence why Junior fitba will never do it, the West still take the September weekend off for gawd sake (which undermines the argument that fowk have too much to do in the summer to make a switch viable).

I believe the SFA are discussing a winter break and shorter close season, which fits the above.

Seriously, that has to be the worst excuse I have ever heard!

Archived