Summer football

Krfc 10

Yup the pubs quite busy and the top table is total quality ;)

You might cut it at the top table some day :)

Yup the pubs quite busy and the top table is total quality ;)

You might cut it at the top table some day :)

You're more likely to be UNDER the top table.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there has just the summer football supporters dont wantto know

There are many things that can be done to accommodate more games being played (and increase interest in the Junior game), whether that be a lengthy winter break, playing in the summer months or showpiece Friday night matches.

But that means change, and change is a dirty word in this grade of football to some. That's what it boils down to.

How can anyone argue that the Juniors are a forward thinking, new idea kinda grade when one of the reasons against Summer football is the bowling season!

The bowling season is simply the illustration of the alternative attractions against which summer football has to compete.

There are a myriad of others. I know that none of the pro summer football camp acknowledge this but i know for a fact that our attendances in August are woeful because people have too many other things in their calendar. There is little wrong with the principle of summer football but the bottom line for me is it would cost clubs money and on a personal level, all the other stuff that takes up time in the summer would definitely reduce the amount of time I'd have available to watch the Rose - back to the loss of income point.

The bowling season is simply the illustration of the alternative attractions against which summer football has to compete.

There are a myriad of others. I know that none of the pro summer football camp acknowledge this but i know for a fact that our attendances in August are woeful because people have too many other things in their calendar. There is little wrong with the principle of summer football but the bottom line for me is it would cost clubs money and on a personal level, all the other stuff that takes up time in the summer would definitely reduce the amount of time I'd have available to watch the Rose - back to the loss of income point.

Of course we're guilty of throwing out the same points as ever in this debate but the loss of income point would hold a lot more water if clubs weren't currently suffering their annual financial suffocation at the hands of the frost.

People indulge in other summer activities at the moment due to the fact that Summer football is currently not an option. This could change. Something has to.

As someone else has pointed out, golf, bowls etc is played from April-October, 7 months of which 5 are during the football season. In addition, an increasing number of people take their summer holidays outwith the June/July period (August and September are popular!).

These arguments are the main ones often trotted out but they are tired, mythical, and a complete red herring.

There ARE challenges to Junior football going completely summer season, but none of the above.

In winter, I'm increasingly being attracted to my central heating system.........

Now that you've decided (in your own words) that 'there is little wrong with the principal of summer football' you've automatically forfeited your seat at the P&B top table.

Now that you've decided (in your own words) that 'there is little wrong with the principal of summer football' you've automatically forfeited your seat at the P&B top table.

Not at all. If you switch off all the distractions and the finance argument stands up then crack on. But it won't happen.

Not at all. If you switch off all the distractions and the finance argument stands up then crack on. But it won't happen.

A couple of days ago you said summer football would be 'an absolute disaster' , your now saying 'there's little wrong with the principal of summer football'.

You seem to be warming (excuse the pun) to the idea of change.

Er........what is the finance arguement? My wife accompanied me to games up until Nov. then stopped going because she didn't want to stand freezing to the marrow.That was about 7 or 8 quid lost to the club every home game.It works both ways.

Er........what is the finance arguement! My wife accompanied me to games up until Nov. then stopped going because she didn't want to stand freezing to the marrow.That was about 7 or 8 quid lost to the club every home game.It works both ways.

Buy your wife a fur coat or something. That should keep the cold out.

Archived