Ross County vs Motherwell - The Big One

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I think we are going to get relegated now. I just can't see how a team this bad can avoid the drop. We lost in the Europa Cup to a part time Icelandic team after having a 2-0 lead inside 25 minutes and it's been downhill since then.

Probably a good 75% of our meagre points total this term has been undeserved, we are throwing goals in every week, an average of 3 per game over our last 7 matches, and the only team we've score more than once against in the league is Ross County.

Meanwhile our squad is full of guys that won't have to deal with the consequences of relegation next season because they are out of contract, on loan or on the verge of being binned for being utter gash.

Thank heavens for the new manager bounce that has us on an even worse run than the one that forced McCall out.

Basically we are fucked. There is absolutely no chance we will get anything off Dundee next week or Inverness the week after.

Gardyne literally ducked out of the way of the free kick and Mark Brown was slow to react for a couple of the goals. McIntyre has really messed up the keeping situation, as we were warned he would. Other than that, excellent stuff. A cracking third goal particularly.

Gardyne literally ducked out of the way of the free kick and Mark Brown was slow to react for a couple of the goals. McIntyre has really messed up the keeping situation, as we were warned he would. Other than that, excellent stuff. A cracking third goal particularly.

How has he really messed the keeping situation up? They were both already here, neither has regressed from previous to McIntyre, and McIntyre has even brought in a goalkeeping coach to relieve the burden on Brown.

Is it just because he's been dropping one for the other when they hit bad form? I thought that was the point of having two similar keepers... a lot of teams do that.

I understand some of the flak McIntyre gets, but that ones lost on me...

From the highlights, it didnt look like our midfield afforded the defence much protection. Admittedly thats from highlights, and we were set out to attack. How did the shape look when defending?

Also, how was the Woods -Irvine balance? Previously they didnt seem to dovetail very well, not covering for each other when the other moved forward/wide. Was that improved today?

It's taken Jim far too long to play 442 but hopefully he will stick with it.

I don't know, as poor as Partick Thistle have been I think Lawless and Higginbotham would pulverise us with how open County's midfield was.

Having said that, if it's to continue I want to see Gardyne playing off Boyce. Curran worked his socks off and playing him made sure Motherwell's defenders couldn't play out from the back - a useful tactic when the centre of their midfield was so poor - but he doesn't have enough quality and you can't afford that in the majority of occasions IMO.

I thought Gardyne was excellent throughout. He was incredibly busy both defensively and in his usual attacking role. His linkup play with Boyce was superb. His turn and cross for the third goal was superb, a sweet volley from De Vita to finish the move.

The much maligned Woods had a stonking game, if he can have a few more games like that well he will justify his midfield position every week. However he hasn't shown what he can do enough. But he was excellent today. Wonderful strike for our first goal.

Quinn also put in a performance that we haven't really seen since he scored the own goal for Aberdeen. Great header for his goal and again another cracking cross from Gardyne.

Boyce and Gardyne were indeed a highlight.

I thought Woods was having his usual mediocre game - some good play interspersed with doddling on the ball and some really poor positioning - but he really grew into the match after he scored the goal. His corners are much better, too, but it's re-assuring to have De Vita as the chief corner taker.

I think Quinn has settled down for the last few weeks now. He appears to be over his crisis in confidence and looks like the player who made a good immediate impact, much like Woods.

Kudos to the away fans they looked like they had a tremendous time despite the result.

Their rendition of Twist 'N' Shout is probably the highlight of my season.

Gardyne literally ducked out of the way of the free kick

He was so brave in every other aspect of the match that it's surprising that he didn't stand up to the shot. Did the flight of the ball go directly over him? I can't tell.

He played well in the Dundee win, but this was his best performance since he left for Dundee United. I've wondered where he fits into this County squad but he should be a first pick when he plays like that.

Why was the smallest player on the pitch in the wall anyway?

From the highlights, it didnt look like our midfield afforded the defence much protection. Admittedly thats from highlights, and we were set out to attack. How did the shape look when defending? Also, how was the Woods -Irvine balance? Previously they didnt seem to dovetail very well, not covering for each other when the other moved forward/wide. Was that improved today?

Not terribly, I have to say, the highlights are representative in this case. Against better opposition they would have been over-run, but then McIntyre doesn't tend to play 4-4-2 against better teams. I do think County can do better than Woods-Irvine, but for once it's not Woods whose role is in question.

But I think it's time to realise that McIntyre likes Woods-Irvine, they've been ever-present for as long as they have been available. It's going to take an injury or suspension to break them up.

What a relief. It was must-win and we did.

Not confident when I saw the starting 11, Curran? But he never gives up and did well chasing down and giving the Well defenders no time.

Midge and Boyce were excellent.

Midge pivotal in our 2 only other league wins as well, scoring at Killie in November and v Dundee in September (and had that ridiculous 'off-side' goal chalked off at St Mirren in the 2-2).

Deserved round of applause when he walked into Hamilton lounge after game. Carey was in there, presumably just dropped?

De Vita gave us something different, and good deliveries.

Great goal by Woods. Not convinced with him and Irvine in the centre though, what does Jim do with Brittain, Palazuelos, Kiss, Sernas? Good to have options.

Fraser continues to impress.

Quinn was also good, very vocal and organising those around him at corners, but Kerr could have had a hat-trick of headed goals, beat Irvine every time, luckily for us headed straight at Brown though.

I suspect we'll see Burgess or Meite dislodge Boydy before long.

Onwards to Firhill with a much needed confidence boost.

Gardyne was worthy MOTM and involved in majority of chances and goals. I'd agree that Irvine was less assured than I would hope, and I expected him to do a bit better with jumping to defend and to attack the ball in penalty boxes. Far too many free headers allowed. We might have needed more than 3 goals to win this game!

But lots of positives for me. Boyce & Curran both worked hard and used strength successfully against some quite big opposition defenders. Good to have a consistent back 4, who all did well bar a slight dip in form from Reckord, whom I forgive due to his being until now one of the most consistent and reliable performers.

Great goals with beautiful volleys from Woods & De Vita. More please! Motherwell free-kick looked a beezer too.

From the highlights, it didnt look like our midfield afforded the defence much protection. Admittedly thats from highlights, and we were set out to attack. How did the shape look when defending? Also, how was the Woods -Irvine balance? Previously they didnt seem to dovetail very well, not covering for each other when the other moved forward/wide. Was that improved today?

No. There were plenty of moments when Woods and Irvine were caught out and a better team would have capitalised on that. I'm not overly convinced by County having a straight forward 4-4-2 and I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Kiss sitting in front of the back four.

Hopefully McIntyre will change the team to react to the opposition, as opposed to keeping a winning team just 'cos they're a winning team.

Edit: another shout out to the Motherwell fans. They were good and the County "singing section" could learn a lot from them.

Unfortunately I think we are going to get relegated now.

I have been saying it for months, Motherwell will be playing championship football next season. It is now between County and St.Mirren for the play off spot as Motherwell won’t win another game this season. Sadly, I don’t think either County or St.Mirren will win the play off games and will almost certainly be joining us in the championship.

I have been saying it for months, Motherwell will be playing championship football next season. It is now between County and St.Mirren for the play off spot as Motherwell won’t win another game this season. Sadly, I don’t think either County or St.Mirren will win the play off games and will almost certainly be joining us in the championship.

If it's Rangers somehow in the playoffs, I'd take County or Motherwell to beat them quite easily.

I've stood up for Baraclough until now but he had an absolute howler yesterday. His 4-5-1 tactics with Sutton up front on his own were destined to fail from the start just like every other time since we first tried it in Nancy 7 years ago. So many questions..

- Why bring in two wingers in January, yet have Thomas, Johnson and Ainsworth all sitting on the bench while we persist with Lee Erwin out wide for 90 mins?

- Erwin out wide meant we had John Sutton up front on his own, just why it never works!?! In fairness to Sutton there's little he can do when the team continually punt high balls towards him with two defenders on his back and next to no support.

- Simon Ramsden in central midfield. Why have a 33 year old right back in central midfield when we had Stuart Carswell on the bench? Ramsden and Lasley were both fucking terrible and the game passed the pair of them by.

- How after coming off the bench to set up our equalizer against St.Johnstone did Dom Thomas not get any game time?

- Also why did he have Ainsworth stripped and ready to come on from about the 80th minute but wait until the 88th min to actually put him on? Don't even think he touched the ball, what a waste.

Just shite, dire, hoofball in a negative 4-5-1 formation where we only really looked threatening from set pieces. Thing is with the players at our disposal I think we had enough about us to go there and get a result but Baraclough fucked up big time yesterday. County were physical, hard working and were also most threatening from set pieces, which probably says a lot about the quality of both sides. However in fairness to them both Woods and De Vita's goals were excellent finishes.

On a more positive note, Long and Grant both look like excellent additions. Long was a confident, commanding presence in goals and made several good saves. No chance with any of the goals. Grant looks to have a touch of class about him. Won the free kick himself after a good run and picked himself up and dispatched it with aplomb. Very promising debut considering it was his first game in senior football, can't really argue with a goal and an assist.

Like others though I'm rapidly losing faith, always thought deep down we'd have enough to pull away and stay up but I think a large part of that died witnessing that performance yesterday. Baraclough had a strong squad to pick from for probably the first time since he took over in a game where getting three points was very achievable but in my opinion he made a complete arse of it with his team selection and tactics.

<< Seething.

You've 13 games left, 5 of which will be against the rest of the bottom 6, 2 of whom, possibly 3, will not have anything to play for, so, while you may not win many games, I don't think you won't win any.

Archived