Ross County vs Motherwell - The Big One

Worth pointing out we have 2 points at home all season. That is how guff we are. We have taken 3 times our home points total at Firhill alone... We are totally guff and could well finish bottom given selling of McLean and Teale's barmy 4-4-2 tactics

That's quite incredible.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty clear that there are three absolutely dire teams in the league this year, and that the team that finishes 10th will be very, very lucky. Any two of three to go down, but f**k knows which two.

All three of us deserve to be relegated, to be fair.

If it's Rangers somehow in the playoffs, I'd take County or Motherwell to beat them quite easily.

Absolutely not a prayer would Motherwell beat 'The Rangers', especially over a two legged tie like that. St.Mirren or Ross County would stand a better chance against them but not us. Motherwell do not beat Rangers in whatever guise they take, Newco, oldco, Sevco or whoever. We didnt beat Rangers 1872 from December 2002 until they folded and even when we played them at Ibrox in the League Cup just after they'd reformed and had a team of kids and reserves out on the park whilst we were unbeaten and sitting at the top of there SPL we still rolled over and got humped by them. I make no exageration to say that if we met them in the playoffs and were given a two goal start in each leg we would still find a way to lose to them.

It's pretty clear that there are three absolutely dire teams in the league this year, and that the team that finishes 10th will be very, very lucky. Any two of three to go down, but f**k knows which two.

All three of us deserve to be relegated, to be fair.

Can't argue with any of that. The post-split games in particular are going to be horrendous for all three teams.

Worth pointing out we have 2 points at home all season.

Pretty sure at this point last season we had about 6 draws and 6 losses at home and people were going absolutely mental about how we hadn't won a home game all year. Threads on here about who we would finally beat, mentioned every week in the papers, etc. Strange that a worse stat for St Mirren isn't much of a talking point.

I have been saying it for months, Motherwell will be playing championship football next season. It is now between County and St.Mirren for the play off spot as Motherwell won’t win another game this season. Sadly, I don’t think either County or St.Mirren will win the play off games and will almost certainly be joining us in the championship.

We've looked like a relegation side since October but you couldn't say with any certainty with three quarters of the season left that we would get relegated.

Now with no improvement and the season running out of games I think you can say now we are in serious danger of finishing 12th.

We are the worst team in the league right now, no doubt about it and we need to improve fast but how do we do that with 8 months of dire football behind us. It's not that easy when losing becomes ingrained into a teams psychology. There is a complete collapse in confidence and getting it back is very difficult to do.

Can't argue with any of that. The post-split games in particular are going to be horrendous for all three teams.

I think all 3 teams deserve to be relegated this season.

I've been waiting and waiting for Motherwell to turn into the team they have been over the last few years and it just hasnt happened.

They could be in the most bother, County and Saints have been in this position a few times now and know what it takes to stay up.

I'm certainly not as happy with yesterday as others have been. 3 points is massive, and I'm delighted by that but I really don't think we played that fantastic yesterday. Quite simply. I think we played one of the worst teams I've seen in Dingwall in a long time, and it's quite worrying that we managed to still only just win that by a goal. As a couple have said, Woods & Irvine weren't brilliant yesterday. De Vita, Gardyne & Boyce were though. That was arguably one of Reckords worst performances yesterday too, was pulled about all over the place.

Anyway, I have a raging hangover after that so I can't be bothered writing anything more.

Edit: One last point, McIntyre really should have done something to split up that Irvine/Kerr marking situation at set-pieces. Kerr beat him every single time. It was inevitable they would get a goal out of it eventually.

But I think it's time to realise that McIntyre likes Woods-Irvine, they've been ever-present for as long as they have been available. It's going to take an injury or suspension to break them up.

More than aware of that, its one of my frustrations with McIntyre, given the options.

I've always thought we'll get out of this eventually. After yesterday, I no longer believe that. I think we'll now go down automatically.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, I've seen of Ian Baraclough makes me believe he has any clue what he's doing, and he's the man to keep us up.

Edit: One last point, McIntyre really should have done something to split up that Irvine/Kerr marking situation at set-pieces. Kerr beat him every single time. It was inevitable they would get a goal out of it eventually.

It's cool he'd rather just give your keeper some catching practice most of the time anyway

I've stood up for Baraclough until now but he had an absolute howler yesterday. His 4-5-1 tactics with Sutton up front on his own were destined to fail from the start just like every other time since we first tried it in Nancy 7 years ago. So many questions..

- Why bring in two wingers in January, yet have Thomas, Johnson and Ainsworth all sitting on the bench while we persist with Lee Erwin out wide for 90 mins?

- Erwin out wide meant we had John Sutton up front on his own, just why it never works!?! In fairness to Sutton there's little he can do when the team continually punt high balls towards him with two defenders on his back and next to no support.

- Simon Ramsden in central midfield. Why have a 33 year old right back in central midfield when we had Stuart Carswell on the bench? Ramsden and Lasley were both fucking terrible and the game passed the pair of them by.

- How after coming off the bench to set up our equalizer against St.Johnstone did Dom Thomas not get any game time?

- Also why did he have Ainsworth stripped and ready to come on from about the 80th minute but wait until the 88th min to actually put him on? Don't even think he touched the ball, what a waste.

Just shite, dire, hoofball in a negative 4-5-1 formation where we only really looked threatening from set pieces. Thing is with the players at our disposal I think we had enough about us to go there and get a result but Baraclough fucked up big time yesterday. County were physical, hard working and were also most threatening from set pieces, which probably says a lot about the quality of both sides. However in fairness to them both Woods and De Vita's goals were excellent finishes.

On a more positive note, Long and Grant both look like excellent additions. Long was a confident, commanding presence in goals and made several good saves. No chance with any of the goals. Grant looks to have a touch of class about him. Won the free kick himself after a good run and picked himself up and dispatched it with aplomb. Very promising debut considering it was his first game in senior football, can't really argue with a goal and an assist.

Like others though I'm rapidly losing faith, always thought deep down we'd have enough to pull away and stay up but I think a large part of that died witnessing that performance yesterday. Baraclough had a strong squad to pick from for probably the first time since he took over in a game where getting three points was very achievable but in my opinion he made a complete arse of it with his team selection and tactics.

Some comments as follows:

1) Dom Thomas should be on the park at some time during the game.

2) More of a 4-3-3 than 4-5-1 however current personnel can't play it.

3). We must be only the premier team that do not have creative player/s in the centre of the park, we have defenders and negative players in there that spend there energies trying to receive the ball and then cheaply give the ball away cheaply.

4)Lee erwin- saw him years ago in 19s and easily the best CENTRE FORWARD that the club and the national team thoughthe was best.I saw him first game of the season with Sutton up front and he wasMOM ,since then all I have seen him is playing wide, so what about the "fairness" to Lee Erwin? Can we imagine other youngsters being asked to play out of position for most of his early apperances - no I dont think so.

Barraclough needs to stop trying kidding us on with regards to performance's. The keeper,Pearson and to a lesser extent Grant look better to what we have - the others for me have plenty to prove to MFC.

And by the way our defenders can't defend against bread and butter crosses our Regiment team could attack basic crosses better, if we don't sort this out then it doesn't matter what we do at the other end.

County deserved the 3 points as they were much more aggressive and physically robust. Their first goal was a real peach but the other two were defensive blunders. Still we did create some openings. Encouraging performances from Long and Grant. I'm hopeful that the new guys will settle in and we see the likes of Pearson and Hammell return to active duty.

There will be a few twists and turns to come in the run in and we have a few home games coming up. Its all to play for!

Archived