The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently Clinton and Trump have both invited guests for the third and final debate (I don't know if they have always been able to do this but anyway...). Clinton has invited two very rich people who have backed her including a former Trump voter / Republican and a sports team owner who doesn't like Trump (Meg Whitman and Mark Cuban respectively).

Trump meanwhile has invited Patricia Smith who lost a son in the 2012 Benghazi attack and as such is no fan of Clinton. Trump is also getting Barrack Obama's half brother Malik Obama to come along. Should be interesting...

Ooft, for once I'll agree that Trump is taking the nuclear option here. Pre-game massacre.

Expecting Trump to go very, very hard on corruption, the establishment, media collusion, and highlight his anti-lobbying etc. 5 point policy released yesterday.

Shillary and her campaign have been very quiet recently, bunker mentality. Half-expecting a new mic/vid scandal against Trump to appear today.

Shillary and her campaign have been very quiet recently, bunker mentality. Half-expecting a new mic/vid scandal against Trump to appear today.

Hillary could sit on the couch from now until election day and it wouldn't mater.
Trump running around claiming he's been cheated before the result is in is doing her campaign for her.

Hillary could sit on the couch from now until election day and it wouldn't mater.
Trump running around claiming he's been cheated before the result is in is doing her campaign for her.

Be funny as f**k if Trump won and Clinton used his claims of vote rigging to overturn his victory. To be honest, it's not likely, nor would it be the least bit funny.

2 hours ago, banana said:

Ooft, for once I'll agree that Trump is taking the nuclear option here. Pre-game massacre.

Expecting Trump to go very, very hard on corruption, the establishment, media collusion, and highlight his anti-lobbying etc. 5 point policy released yesterday.

Probably not advisable, given his history with his university and use of his foundation's funds.

28 minutes ago, mjw said:

Indeed.  She's given about three interviews in the last year.  This isn't because she has nothing to say, it's because she's deeply unpopular and going on TV actually lowers her ratings.  Also it's because Trump does interviews every twenty minutes, still has nothing coherent to say and is so deeply unpopular that going on TV actually lowers his ratings.  

If, for once in his life, Trump actually shut his gob for a few days, he might actually start making Clinton look like the unlikeable candidate she is. 

The best thing Hilary can do right now is absolutely nothing. She is atrocious and she's knows it. But Donalds constant foaming at the mouth means people who were possibly considering voting for him just won't turn out at all. The worst thing Hilary could do is say something and run the risk of shooting herself in the foot.

11 hours ago, banana said:

I've a large number of American friends mainly of liberal persuasion, and American colleagues. You'd be surprised how many of them are silent supporters of Trump, and how many of them by the day are becoming aware of and getting really sick of what they are seeing, re: avalanche of anti-Trump rhetoric and propaganda, identity politics trump cards, Clinton stuff being ignored/played down. I'm talking left-wingers becoming vehement 100% Trump voters, folk who have been openly and consistently vitriolic about Trump going silent on politics for several weeks and are now undecideds, even many women feminists who have grown to despise Hillary treating them like infants and will not vote for her.

Would be interested to read that link - on the surface from what you've described, I think he's tactically fine with being called this as it plays into the Deplorables stuff, his supporters being painted as guilty by association.

I've heard lots of anecdotal stuff about Bernie supporters gravitating more to Trump, supposedly from an anti-establishment perspective, but it's something I hear less and less of as the days roll by. I dunno, maybe I move in different circles to your friends and colleagues and in a different part of the country, but I know plenty of Bernie supporters here in Michigan and while Clinton may not be their number one pick, they couldn't bring themselves to vote for Trump. I'm married to one such supporter. You'll tell me that they're just saying that, and you might be right, but you could say that about anything.

I managed to dig out that article ... quite an achievement given the amount of noise and chatter. I'm surprised at how well I remember the line I quoted. I thought it came from something other than Slate, though. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/10/17/why_alec_baldwin_s_trump_impression_rankles_trump_so_much_more_than_other.html

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Probably not advisable, given his history with his university and use of his foundation's funds.

Good lord you're really out of touch with what's been happening in his campaign / against Hillary.

On a related note, Trump's impactful 5-point ethics reform (~anti-lobby/PAC) announced yesterday seems to be getting good general feedback across the political voting spectrum... yet weirdly the reform plan has not made it to the Independent, nor the Huff Post, and The Guardian mentions it in one sentence in passing during their daily diatribes on him. There's no liberal media bias, though :lol:

Stein also took stooge John Oliver to task recently over his hit piece on her: http://www.jill2016.com/stein_baraka_campaign_debunks_john_oliver_s_deceptive_attack_on_student_debt_bailout

I've heard lots of anecdotal stuff about Bernie supporters gravitating more to Trump, supposedly from an anti-establishment perspective, but it's something I hear less and less of as the days roll by. I dunno, maybe I move in different circles to your friends and colleagues and in a different part of the country, but I know plenty of Bernie supporters here in Michigan and while Clinton may not be their number one pick, they couldn't bring themselves to vote for Trump. I'm married to one such supporter. You'll tell me that they're just saying that, and you might be right, but you could say that about anything.

I managed to dig out that article ... quite an achievement given the amount of noise and chatter. I'm surprised at how well I remember the line I quoted. I thought it came from something other than Slate, though. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/10/17/why_alec_baldwin_s_trump_impressioni_rankles_trump_so_much_more_than_other.html

It's not difficult for anyone to move in different circles than banana, every sensible being tries very hard to do exactly that- he is a bafoon!

Good lord you're really out of touch with what's been happening in his campaign / against Hillary.

On a related note, Trump's impactful 5-point ethics reform (~anti-lobby/PAC) announced yesterday seems to be getting good general feedback across the political voting spectrum... yet weirdly the reform plan has not made it to the Independent, nor the Huff Post, and The Guardian mentions it in one sentence in passing during their daily diatribes on him. There's no liberal media bias, though[emoji38]

Stein also took stooge John Oliver to task recently over his hit piece on her: http://www.jill2016.com/stein_baraka_campaign_debunks_john_oliver_s_deceptive_attack_on_student_debt_bailout

To be fair none of those publications pretend to be anything other than very left wing. They're unlikely to ever openly big Trump up.

1 hour ago, banana said:

On a related note, Trump's impactful 5-point ethics reform (~anti-lobby/PAC) announced yesterday seems to be getting good general feedback across the political voting spectrum... yet weirdly the reform plan has not made it to the Independent, nor the Huff Post, and The Guardian mentions it in one sentence in passing during their daily diatribes on him. There's no liberal media bias, though :lol:

It's been covered by just about every American media outlet. But it's bland compared to his continual espousal of frankly insane conspiracy theories. The reason his policies (he hasn't spoken much about them) don't get discussed very much is because he keeps dragging the debate back to him. Saying outrageous things worked wonders for him in the primaries, he got $1 billion of free publicity, but the number of people who get fooled by reality TV host shtick is strictly limited, and he only ever talks to his fan base now. If he had switched to talking policy after he was nominated he might have had a chance, but he knows f**k all about policy so he's gone full blown loony tunes. Can anyone actually imagine him doing the job of President? Endless meetings with boring foreign leaders who read books and think you're a dick, loads of brown nosing Democrats to push through legislation? I can't believe he ever wanted the job or thought through it, just liked the idea of taking over the most desired real estate in the world for a few years.

P.S. Now he's thinking about how he can screw a few more dollars out of the suckers who vote for him by setting up a cable news channel.

34 minutes ago, banana said:

Stein also took stooge John Oliver to task recently over his hit piece on her: http://www.jill2016.com/stein_baraka_campaign_debunks_john_oliver_s_deceptive_attack_on_student_debt_bailout

Here's the key bit from that Jill Stein rebuttal:

When Oliver’s fact-checkers asked if canceling student debt via quantitative easing was the campaign’s current position, we replied that we are considering a range of options in consultation with our economic advisors.

So you have researchers for a show contact you about a central part of your campaign's manifesto, a show that's fairly popular and widely shared among people you want to attract. This is it. This is what you've been waiting for. Someone is finally showing you some interest. This is your chance to set the record straight on a key policy point. And what do you do? You don't answer the question. Oliver's charge was that Stein is proposing quantitative easing without knowing what it is or how it works. She still hasn't denied it and she still hasn't demonstrated that she understands it.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Two minutes after the student loan piece, there was footage of her placating a 9/11 conspiracy theorist and calling for a new inquiry. If she hadn't lost me already, she'd have lost me there. And that's without mentioning the folk-rock. 

I'm starting to wonder, given how badly anyone expressing support for Trump is shunned and ostracised, whether there'll be a Shy Trump Voter syndrome factor. Doubt it'd be enough to swing it away from Hillary (1/5 on last I checked, not bad value!) but could make it a bit closer than the complete shoeing most expect, even if only in a handful of states.

Not sure how that would affect answers to anonymous polls but it wouldn't surprise me if a fair few people simply say they're undecided rather than express support for "literally Hitler".

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's been covered by just about every American media outlet. But it's bland compared to his continual espousal of frankly insane conspiracy theories. The reason his policies (he hasn't spoken much about them) don't get discussed very much is because he keeps dragging the debate back to him. 

Will this be the first policy-free election in world history?

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Will this be the first policy-free election in world history?

Pipped at the post by the recent Russian Duma elections I would say. I'd imagine that's where Trump's getting his strategy from.

I'm starting to wonder, given how badly anyone expressing support for Trump is shunned and ostracised, whether there'll be a Shy Trump Voter syndrome factor. Doubt it'd be enough to swing it away from Hillary (1/5 on last I checked, not bad value!) but could make it a bit closer than the complete shoeing most expect, even if only in a handful of states.

Not sure how that would affect answers to anonymous polls but it wouldn't surprise me if a fair few people simply say they're undecided rather than express support for "literally Hitler".

Defo a worry. Bit like the thatcher thing in the 80s. Always got more votes than polls suggested.

Archived