The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Something I'm finding interesting is how distraught a lot of right-wing UK based people are about this. Even our right can't stand Trump.

Yep people who are quite happy to vote for the nastiest, most right-wing gang for their UK government getting all sanctimonious about Trump. Goaded independence supporters in Sept 2014 and now bleating about democracy being awful.

Always lots of neo-liberal economic talk in mainstream news as well - "the markets have tumbled", "growth at a low". I understand little and care little about high economics, and the majority of the people are the same. If the perceived truth on the ground for people is a fall in income and loss of job opportunities, you are going to lose patience waiting on prosperity to trickle down from a smug, wealthy elite.

Just now, dorlomin said:

He has no control over the Senate or House, local parties select who they want for those elections. He is really just another isolationist, nativist right winger.  

I don't think he has any ideology whatsoever apart from narcissism. Whoever has access will be able to manipulate him with a modicum of intelligence and shameless flattery, but he will try to fulfill at least one or two of his promises, and claim again that the system is rigged when he fails abysmally.

2 minutes ago, killiefan27 said:

The problem is that the Republicans control the House and Senate, and he's already promised to purge those who opposed him i.e any Republican who is even slightly reasonable.

So where will the moderating influence come from? The lunatics have the key to the asylum, and the Joker is leading them.

I'd imagine there are hundreds of Sir Humphrey types in different departments.

One concern is the amount of power that has slowly transferred from the legislature to the president. The argument against things like they're domestic spying program was that you need to assume that the people in control won't always be decent, trustworthy people.

I did say on here last week I was a bit worried about what would happen, but I thought it was only a remote chance of him winning. Looking at the big picture it panned out the way I thought it might. The more civilized areas voted for Clinton but the redreck states voted Trump.

If people think America is like the country that is shown in the movies, think again, but I really didn't think it was bad as this.

We live in interesting times, thankfully I am too old to be called up for the next war coming our way.

2 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I did say on here last week I was a bit worried about what would happen, but I thought it was only a remote chance of him winning. Looking at the big picture it panned out the way I thought it might. The more civilized areas voted for Clinton but the redreck states voted Trump.

If people think America is like the country that is shown in the movies, think again, but I really didn't think it was bad as this.

We live in interesting times, thankfully I am too old to be called up for the next war coming our way.

I'm going to the Estonian Russian border to wave my fist at the Russkies just in case Vlad gets tempted to take advantage of his bromance with Donald. By the way my Dad said there were conscripts in their mid to late 40's arriving towards the end of WW2. Doubt very much there will be a big war though, I think Vlad is just sabre rattling for domestic consumption to distract from the financial hole they're in.

Yep people who are quite happy to vote for the nastiest, most right-wing gang for their UK government getting all sanctimonious about Trump. Goaded independence supporters in Sept 2014 and now bleating about democracy being awful.

Always lots of neo-liberal economic talk in mainstream news as well - "the markets have tumbled", "growth at a low". I understand little and care little about high economics, and the majority of the people are the same. If the perceived truth on the ground for people is a fall in income and loss of job opportunities, you are going to lose patience waiting on prosperity to trickle down from a smug, wealthy elite.

I think many of their gripes are entirely legitimate - but how is this knob a solution? He's an absolute imposter. And the likes of him are the ones responsible for selling jobs overseas in search of a quick buck.

He is part of the problem, not the solution.

Michael Moore called it right - it's a giant f**k you to the establishment (and one many Americans might soon regret).

Killing off the unions by legislation and the full bodied cheek of getting taxpayers to bail out Wall Street and the City, and then impose austerity on them while the people who caused it walked away with billions, and keeping pay rises at next to zero for the masses while head honchos pay and bonuses went up exponentially, was basically kleptocracy. Donald Trump is probably the least likely person on earth to stop it continuing.

The mental breakdown's on twitter today are insane, people are acting like soon being gay will be illegal, being any colour other than white will be illegal, any other religion etc, Huffington post are posting suicide prevention hotline numbers... Get a fucking grip, even if he actually planned to do anything like that he need's the senate to get anything done

2 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

The mental breakdown's on twitter today are insane, people are acting like soon being gay will be illegal, being any colour other than white will be illegal, any other religion etc, Huffington post are posting suicide prevention hotline numbers... Get a fucking grip, even if he actually planned to do anything like that he need's the senate to get anything done

good job the democrats have the senate th.... oh never mind.

This election was a classic case of one side talking to the electorate and listening to the electorate and the other side existing in a bubble  and bypassing and ignoring a crucial constituency of the electorate.

A bit like Brexit.

Like Brexit, I doubt Trump will find it easy to deliver on his rhetoric. But he may surprise us ( hopefully in a good way !)

2 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

The Republican's have shown very little support of Trump

In general I would agree, certainly around his foreign policy and fiscal policies. They are still very much hawkish, interventionist neoliberal globalists.

Equal marriage? jury is out.

Archived