The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That summarises this whole election.  I can understand the disillusionment with establishment politicians and the desire for change but this was an election that was all about exploiting fears, maximising divisions and encouraging prejudices.  It was won by a candidate promising a bunch of unrealistic goals to folk too stupid to question how they would be achieved.

The American people have bought into this and deserve what they get, sadly the ones who didn't buy into it also have to live with the consequences.

One of the things I've found hardest to square is people voting for him as a person. While Farage is a complete c*nt, he is very adept at his one-of-us, bloke-down-the-pub shtick, and I can see how people can relate to him on a personal level.

Trump has consistently come across as a megalomaniacal toddler, with a total absence of any charm. I can't understand how anyone could look at him and go "Yeah, he's got our backs."

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the things I've found hardest to square is people voting for him as a person. While Farage is a complete c*nt, he is very adept at his one-of-us, bloke-down-the-pub shtick, and I can see how people can relate to him on a personal level.

Trump has consistently come across as a megalomaniacal toddler, with a total absence of any charm. I can't understand how anyone could look at him and go "Yeah, he's got our backs."

True. For that reason I think he'd have lost to any candidate that came across with a bit of charm/likeability. Obama has that, to an extent Bush Jr and Bill had it. She had none.

38 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I take it you mean the hypocrisy of 'respecting the result of the vote' !?
You can't see a wee inconsistency there?

Are you being intentionally stupid or do you just not understand what "respecting the result of the vote means"?

sturgeon having a dig at the way Trump fought his campaign, deary me :lol: yon wunch has got some cheek, after the way she and her cronies fought the Scottish referendum 

Sturgeon is sick as f**k, ha ha, she knows how to back a losing side.

2 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

sturgeon having a dig at the way Trump fought his campaign, deary me :lol: yon wunch has got some cheek, after the way she and her cronies fought the Scottish referendum 

Right enough....

Anybody remember that time when Nicola and that other man on the tele were talking about how they were going to build walls between Scotland and England and make the English pay for it? Nah... me neither.

Oh, or that time when they said they would ban all muslims from entering the promised land? Nah, me neither....

Although, there was that time when Nicola stuck it to the parents of a war hero who died saving other soldiers lives, because of their religious views....... ah wait, I can't remember that one happening either.

You tried though.

44 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I don't get it apart from throwing a molotov cocktail into the body politic. The man is honestly the ugliest person I've ever seen, both in appearance and personality. I've dealt with some far more frightening and insane people in real life, but no one as nauseating. I think people like him for that and his inarticulate schoolboy insults, a total contrast with coiffured but with normal hair smoothies like Marco Rubio.

Only in response to Stateswoman Sturgeon's laughable statement on 'respecting the result of the vote' and her congratulations offered to a President Elect who she hoped most people would 'see the sense' in not voting for!

Sorry but I couldn't stop myself, She's f^ckin hilarious!![emoji3]

Are you thick?

Apologies if posted before, but this is fairly staggering. Clinton made no gains whatsoever with African-Americans and Latinos.

IMG_1478722651.675413.jpg

Tbf she was never going to make gains with the African American community. Obama was their man.

The Latino vote is a bit of a surprise, based on the fact that trump spent much of the campaign flinging shit at them. But as someone pointed out earlier, many immigrants were happy to pull up the draw-bridge behind them.

"2016 sucks: we didn't get hoverboards, but Biff Tannen still became President."

I have been trying to avoid politics the past week but who hum. The one person to blame is Clinton. She felt entitled to the Presidency, even with her email scandal (and that is on her, no one else) she still risked the well being of 300 million people to her ego's belief she was destined to be president. 

That said near enough every Republican professional wrote off Trump from the off as did near enough every commentator including many right wing shock jocks. I think he is far luckier than clever. I do not think he will be that radical a president, I think he will be enmeshed in the inertia of the machinery of government and end up closer to Dubya than some kind of David Duke figure. The greatest worry is that he will get dragged into trouble by the hawks on the republic side. 

3 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

"2016 sucks: we didn't get hoverboards, but Biff Tannen still became President."

I have been trying to avoid politics the past week but who hum. The one person to blame is Clinton. She felt entitled to the Presidency, even with her email scandal (and that is on her, no one else) she still risked the well being of 300 million people to her ego's belief she was destined to be president. 

That said near enough every Republican professional wrote off Trump from the off as did near enough every commentator including many right wing shock jocks. I think he is far luckier than clever. I do not think he will be that radical a president, I think he will be enmeshed in the inertia of the machinery of government and end up closer to Dubya than some kind of David Duke figure. The greatest worry is that he will get dragged into trouble by the hawks on the republic side. 

The problem is that the Republicans control the House and Senate, and he's already promised to purge those who opposed him i.e any Republican who is even slightly reasonable.

So where will the moderating influence come from? The lunatics have the key to the asylum, and the Joker is leading them.

30 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Apologies if posted before, but this is fairly staggering. Clinton made no gains whatsoever with African-Americans and Latinos.

IMG_1478722651.675413.jpg

By the look of it a small number are going to more radical candidates. A trend you are seeing world wide. Hard buck when you are presenting yourself as the establishment. The election was largely lost on a small part of the lower income, white, male vote going to the Republicans in narrowly contested states. 

Like Brexit he's seen as a challenge to the establishment.

The thing with Brexit is that whilst I still maintain it was the wrong decision and I'm still fairly angry about it, there are good legitimate reasons for supporting it. Similarly I'm opposed to Scottish independence but I see good left imitate reasons for voting yes. Trump doesn't have that. He is a repulsive individual who is utterly unfit for the position he has just been elected to do. That he can manage this based on little other than being a good communicator and someone who has positioned himself as 'anti-establishment' is quite frightening. That he can say what he said and do what he has done, but that to matter less than where he has positioned himself is worrying. The age of populism is here, and I can see the parallels to an extent, but Trump has basically zero redeeming features.

1 minute ago, killiefan27 said:

The problem is that the Republicans control the House and Senate, and he's already promised to purge those who opposed him i.e any Republican who is even slightly reasonable.

So where will the moderating influence come from? The lunatics have the key to the asylum, and the Joker is leading them.

Depends how many Republicans are swivel eyed tea party types. It wouldn't take many sane ones to block him in the Senate.

Just now, killiefan27 said:

He has no control over the Senate or House, local parties select who they want for those elections. He is really just another isolationist, nativist right winger.  

Archived