World Cup 2018 Qualifying

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

In fairness, South Africa aren't really a recent "qualifier". They got in by default.

I was taking it as 1998 when we last qualified.

They qualified in 1998 + 2002.

Anyway, we're detracting from the triumph of Scotland: Kirin Cup Champions 2006. That glorious team was:

Neil Alexander
Graham Murty, Russell Anderson, David Weir, Gary Caldwell, Gary Naysmith
                    Gary Teale, Darren Fletcher, Scott Severin, Lee McCulloch
                                Kris Boyd
(v Bulgaria)/James McFadden (v Japan)

On the bench were the mighty Iain Turner, Graeme Smith, Stevie Caldwell, David McNamee, Chris Burke, Ian Murray, Gavin Rae and Lee Miller.

Let's not forget our other Far Eastern adventure - a valiant performance to finish runners-up in the Reunification Cup in 2002. On that occasion we lost 2-0 to South Africa, then thrashed the "Hong Kong League XI" to finish above them + Turkey:

Rab Douglas
               Maurice Ross, David Weir, Christian Dailly, Gary Caldwell
(v SA)/Lee Wilkie (v HK)
Robbie Stockdale, Gareth Williams (v SA)/Scott Severin (v HK), Allan Johnston, Scott Gemmill
                                              Scott Dobie
(v SA)/Stephen Thompson (v HK), Kevin Kyle

Subs were Paul Gallacher, Graham Alexander, Michael Stewart, James McFadden, Garry O'Connor and Warren Cummings.

Let's not forget our other Far Eastern adventure - a valiant performance to finish runners-up in the Reunification Cup in 2002. On that occasion we lost 2-0 to South Africa, then thrashed the "Hong Kong League XI" to finish above them + Turkey:

Rab Douglas
               Maurice Ross, David Weir, Christian Dailly, Gary Caldwell
(v SA)/Lee Wilkie (v HK)
Robbie Stockdale, Gareth Williams (v SA)/Scott Severin (v HK), Allan Johnston, Scott Gemmill
                                              Scott Dobie
(v SA)/Stephen Thompson (v HK), Kevin Kyle

Subs were Paul Gallacher, Graham Alexander, Michael Stewart, James McFadden, Garry O'Connor and Warren Cummings.

Did faddy not go awol down the brothels on this tour? You can take the lad out of Springburn yada yada yada

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Did faddy not go awol down the brothels on this tour? You can take the lad out of Springburn yada yada yada

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2006992.stm

McFadden says sorry - but not ashamed

Motherwell midfielder James McFadden has apologised for missing Scotland's flight home after a night of booze at the end of his country's Far East tour. And the 19-year-old has pleaded to international manager Berti Vogts not to end his international career after just one appearance.

McFadden said: "I hope it doesn't have an effect on my international career, but I'll need to speak to the manager. I owe him and everyone else an apology. All I can do is say sorry. The boss has shown faith by taking me on the tour and I've let him and the rest of the squad down. It's a mistake and I am embarrassed - but not ashamed."

McFadden wants to discuss his disappearing act with national manager Berti Vogts as soon as possible. The Motherwell youngster missed the scheduled flight back after a night on the town to celebrate the end of the tour of South Korea and Hong Kong.

SFA spokesman Andy Mitchell said: "Almost all the players went out as a group and, at some stage, he would have been separated. But we don't know enough. We need to speak to the player to hear the full story. Obviously, in due course, the manager and the player will speak, but that will remain confidential. Until we speak to the player, we don't know about disciplinary action. The only contact we had was when one of my colleagues phoned SFA security officer Willie McDougall from the phone on the plane and got a very brief confirmation to say he had arrived and would be travelling afterwards."

McDougall had originally claimed that a ticket mix-up had seen the player miss the team flight. However, Mitchell offered an explanation for the SFA security chief's reasoning.

"I think Willie was just trying to cover up the boy's embarrassment," he said.

Mitchell revealed that the SFA party only discovered the teenager's absence when they rang his hotel room.

Mitchell said: "After the match, the players went out at the end of a long tour at the end of the season and to celebrate their victory. After that, Jamie McFadden slept in and therefore we had to depart without him. Willie McDougall stayed on and met up with James and they are coming back on a later flight so it means a few hours delay. He wasn't in the room. He didn't return to the hotel. He slept somewhere and didn't reappear."

McFadden was already expected to drop back into the Under-21 set-up after the Far East tour.

2 hours ago, gruppenfuhrer said:

poland peru iran panama , some group that would be

brazil spain denmark  s.korea  /nigeria shit group

russia  england  tunisia  saudi arabia. obvious group 

group of death: germany - uruguay - denmark - serbia

group of death by gang/militia shooting: brazil - mexico - senegal - panama

group of death by terror attack: france - england - sweden - japan

group of death by Sir Francis Drake - portugal - spain - tunisia - morocco

group of death by guided missile strike: argentina - croatia - iran - south korea

group of death by drugs (overdose or smuggling death penalty): russia - colombia - egypt - saudi arabia

group of death by chocolate:  belgium - switzerland - costa rica - nigeria

group of death by being left over: poland - peru - iceland - australia

53 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

group of death by chocolate:  belgium - switzerland - costa rica - nigeria

Apparently Nigeria's cocoa is full of lead, so they'll be favourites for this one.

BE A WEAR.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

That's part of the plan, isn't it? They like to drag it out as long as possible. I assume the non-UK broadcasts have adverts?

I can't remember a single draw that didn't take for fucking ever!

i'm hoping that they invite Carabao to run the whole thing ir order to liven it up a bit:

Group A - Russia - Chartlon Athletic - Red Bull Leipzig - Charlton Athletic (again) etc...

The failure of the USA to qualify has denied us some potentially juicy geopolitical ties in the groups.  Iran vs Saudi Arabia stands out as one with a bit of needle, assuming one hasn't already reduced the other to smouldering ruins before the tournament begins.

Archived