World Cup 2018 Qualifying

12 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Argentina 2-0 up in the first 25 against Colombia. Messi scored a cracking free kick.

Underside of the bar bonus. Nnnice. Almost Maddisonesque... in an alternate symmetrical universe.

I am awfy glad the wee man gathered his toys up and came back. His team-mates look quite chuffed too - an absloute hugfest.

Also the focus on Higuain squirming on the bench as Pratto (?) scored his second goal in three games was quite delightful.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It's still practically impossible for them to not qualify, though. Mexico made it to the play-offs last time with two wins out of ten, and a total of seven goals, before utterly destroying New Zealand. It would be nice to see someone like Panama qualify, though - anyone know how good they look these days?

They've been improving for a while and caused a minor shock winning in Honduras in the first game, so would be on for a top 4 finish I think then I'd imagine the 4th place in this would be slight favourite against 5th best Asians unless there's a major shock.

Interesting that they've swapped back to a CONCACAF v Asia play-off again. New Zealand must be fuming that they could end up having to beat Argentina to qualify for Russia.

(which would be hilarious TBF)

11 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Interesting that they've swapped back to a CONCACAF v Asia play-off again. New Zealand must be fuming that they could end up having to beat Argentina to qualify for Russia.

I'd love to see the UEFA v Asia playoff spot back again (or just more intercontinental playoffs in general). Seems mad to think that Ireland qualified for 2002 WC after winning a 2 leg play-off against Iran. The second leg had a 100,000+ crowd in Tehran.

They haven't really "switched" back. They had a draw for which confederations would play each other in the playoffs at the same time they drew the groups.

18 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They've haven't. It's randomly drawn. Has been since WC 2014 qualifying, I recall.

Ah, didn't know about the random play-off draw. That sounds remarkably fair, actually.

Please remind me again when I inevitably forget this towards the end of the qualifiers!

Pkr already eliminated. I'm hoping by 2022 comes round if it hasn't moved then I've either lost interest completely or everyone has exploded. 2018 tickets not on sale last I looked and confederations cup draw not done yet which both seem slightly off the pace, I'm aware there's still the African nations to go.

27 minutes ago, Latino Lover said:

Pkr already eliminated. I'm hoping by 2022 comes round if it hasn't moved then I've either lost interest completely or everyone has exploded. 2018 tickets not on sale last I looked and confederations cup draw not done yet which both seem slightly off the pace, I'm aware there's still the African nations to go.

Like the WC it's always drawn late November/early December. Draw is a week on Saturday in Kazan but no doubt the main story in the UK media will be outrage about the Russians, tbf.

Group A
Russia

Pot 1 - Germany, Portugal
Pot 2 - Australia, Chile, Mexico, New Zealand, (Africa)

Syria still in with a shout; could be good for a few facepalm moments Re: the new president. Shame he couldn't get the wall built before those damned dirty Mexicans turned them over at home.

I just noticed that the US scorer in that game is called Bobby Wood!  :lol:

• 3 months later...
Andorra warming up for their next World Cup fixtures with a 2-0 win over San Marino tonight.  That is their first win since 2004.
http://www.the42.ie/worst-international-football-andorra-san-marino-3253734-Feb2017/

Ildefons Lima extending his record as top goalscorer as well. Only narrowly into double figures but I reckon it will be a while before his playing or scoring records for Andorra are broken.

See the graphic in that table of San Marino's last 75 games, with 74 losses... well, that one draw was Estonia, and it bust a coupon I had which included a couple of cracking picks on it. I'd never even normally touch San Marino's opponents as they're just too short most of the time, but Estonia at 1.15 were on it that day, and I'm fucking still beelin' 3 years later.

Archived