World Cup 2018 Qualifying

To be fair, McCoist seems a decent pundit and an enthusiastic and fairly knowledgeable summariser any time I've seen him. 

The Netherlands are a strange side - they seemed to be creating a few good openings but then doing nothing with them, they seemed fairly solid at the back but would then switch off completely and allow a free shot at goal and they don't play the usual Dutch 4-3-3. The Ajax academy still churns out players but many of them aren't Dutch and their club sides haven't been doing great (although Cocu has PSV back to a decent level now). Sweden looked absolutely awful in the last game I saw them play but will still finish above the Dutch by the look of things.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Kazakh pitch looks hard as nails.

Edit: bloody hell, Romanians dropping like flies and Kazakhstan doing well. Almost a fairly spectacular Romanian OG.
Edit 2: Romania just cleared off the Kazakh goalline, a la Kenny Miller  :mellow:
Edit 3: Kazakhstan really going for it in the second half. Get the impression that they need to score before Romania get back into it again.
Last Edit: surprised that ended up goalless; both sides had plenty of chances. Decent enough game. Romania really hanging on by the skin of their teeth at the end.

1 minute ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I just read that Germany have played in 86 World Cup qualifiers and only lost twice.

F*cking hell.

They didn't lose one until sometime in the Eighties either, IIRC.

Still doesn't beat Brazil, who didn't lose until Bolivia in 1993. And everyone loses in La Paz at some point.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Still doesn't beat Brazil, who didn't lose until Bolivia in 1993. And everyone loses in La Paz at some point.

Portugal in 1985, then nothing until England in 2001, and unbeaten since then. Ridiculous.

I didn't know about that Brazil stat. Incredible.

30 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Portugal in 1985, then nothing until England in 2001, and unbeaten since then. Ridiculous.

I didn't know about that Brazil stat. Incredible.

Probably more so than Germany given the relative lack of diddies in South American qualifiers.

I'd be surprised if Slovenia don't finish second in the group. They have more to offer on the break and in possession than the other teams in the group.

Only a defeat tonight would put England's qualification in much jeopardy - it's an extremely weak group.

Was that not a 5-0 drubbing or something ridiculous like that?

Archived