English football - over rated?

Wilky1878

During the Chelsea Southampton game I tried something. A long ball was played so I checked the time and it was at 27 minutes 30 seconds, so over a period of 5 minutes I counted the long balls. I counted 5 definite long balls and two medium-long balls. It just goes to show that if enough pundits at sky talk the game up every idiot will believe it. In my personal experience of Scottish football I can't say I've seen a long ball average that would surpass 1 long ball a minute with two maybe long balls yet most peoples reason for watching EPL over SPFL is that Scotland play too many long balls.

What's everyone elses opinions on this?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you need a third category in between long ball and medium-long ball. Maybe call it long-medium-long ball.

But then what about the medium-long-medium-long passes?

It's defo overrated, but can be pretty entertaining sometimes. I'd not say it's the best league in the world, but its pretty decent. The constant hype is very off putting tho.

Itzdrk has got it spot on tho. They seem to think no other countries score late goals or have poorer teams winning occasionally against the big teams. The fact that happens more regularly in England, and their recent performances in europe, suggest the big teams in England just aren't as good as their European counterparts, rather than your smaller English teams being much better than their equivalent.

Aye but Sergio Aguero scored a goal in the last minute this one time , you don't get last minute goals in Scotland m8

I still maintain our fight with Gretna for the First Division was far more exciting than that.

When you pay the amount of money Sky have they're not exactly going to call the product on offer a pile of crap. Broadcasters, pundits and players are going to over-hype the Premier League because they know the more people who watch, the more money is generated as a result.

People can make their own mind if they want to watch the games being broadcast. If QPR-Palace, Chelsea-Southampton or Man Utd-Spurs doesn't appeal, don't bother watching.

Like every other league in the world there are a mixture of good and bad games. As the Champions League results have shown, it doesn't have Europe's best teams in it, yet on the other hand it's got a bigger global audience than La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Clearly they are doing something right.

End of the day, I reckon most people who post on here watch the EPL because it is a high standard of football. If it wasn't we simply wouldn't bother.

I only watch it as its the most accessible one outwith Scottish football. I used to watch Italian football all the time when it on Channel 5.

I highly doubt the English pundits and media even think it's the best league in the world but it's in their best interest to keep promoting like they have. It keeps them all in highly paid jobs and also brings in the big tv deals, sponsors ect ect

We could learn a thing or two from them, it's fcking Armageddon every week up here with the constant bashing of our game.

The Scottish media are a bunch of backwards thinking, Old Firm loving arseholes.

Burnley drew at Chelsea a couple of weeks ago. You simply don't get that in any other league.

Tbf how often does a team battling relegation get any points at Barca or Real Madrid for example? Basically never. Burnley done it at both Chelsea and City this season which is pretty incredible.

Archived