English football - over rated?

Wilky1878

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Money talks bullshit walks.

The amount of c***s who say we when talking about Liverpool or Man U are unbelievable, they havenae been to their local teams ground in 20 year, their children don't have the connection because a monthly sky package is cheaper than going to see one game up here.

I personally don't watch English fitba but it's clear to see it's "marketed" better, we don't even have a top league sponsor!

when was the last time you watched the Scottish national team without hearing "we might not have the players but we have the spirit"?

Nostalgia is a huge part of being a supporter, but the attitude of English fans is we won the World Cup before we should be winning it again, whereas in Scotland, it's we had these amazing players, we'llnever see their like again!

I have a lot of mates that have zero reason for supporting a team. Their main team, the one they say they support first if you ask them. Zero reason. Other than they won the league when they were nine and making up their mind. I can't understand it, it seems so irrational!

I'm a Dons supporter , born in Aberdeen, but we moved to Edinburgh when I was 5, I grew up surrounded by OF fans and Hibs/Hearts fans, but my dad took me to enough Dons games to save me.

I also have a soft spot for an English team - and a top notch reason for doing so. One even Russell Anderson couldn't disagree with, they used to be sponsored by JVC at the same time we were! c'mon the gooners.

The one thing about English football that is often overlooked is that has a well spread out supporter base. I'd doubt if any other top football nation has as many 10,000+ sized clubs.

Just the sheer number of large clubs in England generates a huge interest level right across the country that permeates right down to an almost local level. There can't be many people down south who aren't close to an Aberdeen sized club at the very least.

For me, in terms of quality of football played, it isn't great outside the Champions League positions but it's played in front of large and enthusiastic crowds and that, just as much as the actual football, contributes to the whole spectacle.

It really isn't though. It's the same self-important "I support my local team!" bullshit I've seen a thousand times over. People have their reasons for supporting a team. Having a hysterical bitchfit over it doesn't make someone a better football supporter.

There's definitely a lot of that between fans but I think that Russell Anderson's point is more that if you attend the games you are kind of part of the event, you are watching it happen.

If you don't go to games, it doesn't make you a worse fan as there are lots of reasons why you might not be able to go, but you are missing out on what makes watching the game special.

The one thing about English football that is often overlooked is that has a well spread out supporter base. I'd doubt if any other top football nation has as many 10,000+ sized clubs.

Just the sheer number of large clubs in England generates a huge interest level right across the country that permeates right down to an almost local level. There can't be many people down south who aren't close to an Aberdeen sized club at the very least.

For me, in terms of quality of football played, it isn't great outside the Champions League positions but it's played in front of large and enthusiastic crowds and that, just as much as the actual football, contributes to the whole spectacle.

I've heard from quite a lot of people who've been to see matches in England that the atmosphere in the majority of the grounds is shite and that a large amount of the crowd is made up of 'football tourists'. Crystal Palace is supposedly decent though.

I've heard from quite a lot of people who've been to see matches in England that the atmosphere in the majority of the grounds is shite and that a large amount of the crowd is made up of 'football tourists'. Crystal Palace is supposedly decent though.

I can imagine that most of the London clubs would suffer a bit from that, as well as obviously the Manchester ones and maybe Newcastle. Doubt many football tourists will be in the crowd at Burnley or Stoke though.

Been to OT three times.

Pish poor atmosphere on all 3 occasions, couldn't believe there was near 80,000 in the ground

Not been to any other ground so can't comment, mates have been to a few Newcastle games and said the atmosphere was pish poor aswell though

I imagine the good atmospheres will be in the championship, 'real' fans if you like

This is a very deep seated emotion. I was one of three proper Dons in my year at school. There was one Rangers fan and the rest had English teams. "Scottish Football is shite". No mate, the TV show is pish, but the actual football is as engrossing and entertaining as any, so long as you invest something in the team. The more you put in, the better it gets.

Gave your post a greeny for this alone.

The Sky intro for Scottish football tells you exactly what they think about us. Bagpipes playing in the background with a bunch of kids and farmers shouting their team name in exaggerated accents. They introduce our game as uncultured, and small time, then the presenters spend half their time talking the game down irrespective of how good or bad the game itself is.

Scottish football really isn't very bad.

Don't Man Utd have a singing section that supposedly never stops for 90 minutes? One of the boys I head to Dens with got a ticket to OT, he's a Tottenham fan though yet said it was excellent.

I was there years ago, dad used to get given them at his work, last time I think it was 2010, Tottenham 3-1, they won to go top of the league, think nani scored and Giggs definitely scored, header from King I think for spurs

They won that to go top of the league in like one of the last few games of the season and the place was still deed

I've not been recently so can't comment on a singing section but they definitely didn't have one back then

I don't think Scottish football is 'bad'....but I love football and watch games from many European and South American leagues....some good, some less so..........the thing that I think ultimately kills us in the top league is the lack of competition.

It's not Celtic's fault [and previously Rangers] but to have a top division where only two teams have won it for the last 30 years...and worse, with the exception of one that I can remember, only two teams have ever looked like they could win it. :(

Archived