English football - over rated?

Wilky1878

When you pay the amount of money Sky have they're not exactly going to call the product on offer a pile of crap. Broadcasters, pundits and players are going to over-hype the Premier League because they know the more people who watch, the more money is generated as a result.

People can make their own mind if they want to watch the games being broadcast. If QPR-Palace, Chelsea-Southampton or Man Utd-Spurs doesn't appeal, don't bother watching.

Like every other league in the world there are a mixture of good and bad games. As the Champions League results have shown, it doesn't have Europe's best teams in it, yet on the other hand it's got a bigger global audience than La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Clearly they are doing something right.

End of the day, I reckon most people who post on here watch the EPL because it is a high standard of football. If it wasn't we simply wouldn't bother.

I only had it on waiting on the league cup final too start. Only time I watch an English team play is in Europe I just don't think the English game is entertaining

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt the English pundits and media even think it's the best league in the world but it's in their best interest to keep promoting like they have. It keeps them all in highly paid jobs and also brings in the big tv deals, sponsors ect ect

We could learn a thing or two from them, it's fcking Armageddon every week up here with the constant bashing of our game.

The Scottish media are a bunch of backwards thinking, Old Firm loving arseholes.

Aye but they bring in just enough top quality from abroad to justify some of the hype (although certainly not all of it).

The idea that we could learn from them by hyping the game up more does not in any way sit well with me. Hype is for fannies - its a decent level of competition and a better chance to play young players we need.

If English people like to bang on about how great it is then fine but its when Scottish people turn their back on the football here claiming that Scottish football is shit is what really annoys me - i partially blame the old firm for this attitude but a lot of it is to do with SkyTv and the premiership franchise where people would rather sit at home and watch the event rather than go to the games

If English people like to bang on about how great it is then fine but its when Scottish people turn their back on the football here claiming that Scottish football is shit is what really annoys me - i partially blame the old firm for this attitude but a lot of it is to do with SkyTv and the premiership franchise where people would rather sit at home and watch the event rather than go to the games

I agree with you but the standard of the English Premier League is comfortably higher than any level of Scottish football. Take it a step further and compare our game with the standard of La Liga or Bundesliga and its even more stark.

As a result folk would rather stay in and watch better football. Throw in the ridiculous cost (compared to the above which can all be found for a pretty decent subscription) and you an understand when folk 'turn their back'.

The atmosphere and match-day experience has to do an awful lot to make up the difference in both quality an price.

I know that my own club don't offer any sort of value for money and so they're relying on my connection with the club . Better run clubs do more and will ultimately get more fans in.

I agree with you but the standard of the English Premier League is comfortably higher than any level of Scottish football. Take it a step further and compare our game with the standard of La Liga or Bundesliga and its even more stark.

As a result folk would rather stay in and watch better football. Throw in the ridiculous cost (compared to the above which can all be found for a pretty decent subscription) and you an understand when folk 'turn their back'.

The atmosphere and match-day experience has to do an awful lot to make up the difference in both quality an price.

I know that my own club don't offer any sort of value for money and so they're relying on my connection with the club . Better run clubs do more and will ultimately get more fans in.

Yeah England is a higher standard without question but if you are next to a country that has a population 10 times greater then what do you expect? Also the financial side of things goes without saying making It impossible to keep up with England. Im not convinced that people are really interested in a higher standard of football though, i think a large chunk of the viewers are doing it because of the occasion rather than the football, plus the convenience of watching games at home rather than going to the games

The national team are woefully overrated and are as far as ever from being able to win major tournaments, IMO.

Their top club sides aren't even close to being able to challenge the Bayern's/Barca's/Madrid's at the moment but I'd say England has better strength in depth than your other leagues. I'd say the bottom half PL clubs are comfortably better than their Spanish equivalents, and the English championship is comfortably the best "second tier" league in the world.

This is pretty much a direct result of the centralised system for selling TV rights in England. In Spain the clubs own the rights to their own games so pretty much all the revenue goes to the big two, with only really Atletico Madrid providing a challenge the last couple of seasons.

Aye but they bring in just enough top quality from abroad to justify some of the hype (although certainly not all of it).

The idea that we could learn from them by hyping the game up more does not in any way sit well with me. Hype is for fannies - its a decent level of competition and a better chance to play young players we need.

I'm not talking about over hyping our game but lets try be positive about the good things up here instead of the doom and gloom all the time.

When spfl teams insist on charging 25 quid to get into games, the real fight for customers isn't with the EPL, its with the golf courses, cinemas, shopping centres.taking your kids to the football is too expensive.

I don't think anyone charges £25 outwith Celtic games. We offer one adult and two children for £15 FFS

I only had it on waiting on the league cup final too start. Only time I watch an English team play is in Europe I just don't think the English game is entertaining

That's a good one.

I was only watching it until something worse came on.

Football is ridiculously expensive. I want to take my 3 year old to a football game at some point and going to see Newcastle doesn't seem very practical so I checked out the ticket prices for Gateshead FC. 15 quid for an adult in the Conference.

Football is ridiculously expensive. I want to take my 3 year old to a football game at some point and going to see Newcastle doesn't seem very practical so I checked out the ticket prices for Gateshead FC. 15 quid for an adult in the Conference.

Grimsby is £18 for a ticket in the same league.

It irritates me down here when people ask who I support and they scoff in derision at the thought of lowering oneself to the depths of Scottish football, but most of these same people watch Leeds United. I've been to a couple of Leeds matches since relocating and they play a standard of football I would argue is on a par with a top six SPFL match but charge an absolute fortune for the pleasure. £36 in one of the cheaper sections of the ground. This may be second tier football but the arrogance over English football here generally is extraordinary.

My wee girl is now showing an interest in going to football but it'll be up the road to Newlandsfield for us, no way I'll be taking her to a senior game a those prices.

I will probably have to fork out for some ear plugs to protect her innocence though!

It irritates me down here when people ask who I support and they scoff in derision at the thought of lowering oneself to the depths of Scottish football, but most of these same people watch Leeds United. I've been to a couple of Leeds matches since relocating and they play a standard of football I would argue is on a par with a top six SPFL match but charge an absolute fortune for the pleasure. £36 in one of the cheaper sections of the ground. This may be second tier football but the arrogance over English football here generally is extraordinary.

But is it really? From what quarters? Certain parts of the media - absolutely - but I've found most fans to be pretty realistic about what they are. Then unless you're a statto down in England, how are you going to know the real quality of Scottish football? Most won't have seen any, so just revert to type and say how shit it is. It isn't as bad as they refer to, but we're nowhere near the English game. Those games that do get broadcast, how many of them are of a standard that would make anyone stand up and take notice? From a Thistle perspective, I can't remember a time where I was at a game that was on TV and thought that it would be a good game for the neutral to watch.

The pricing point down in England is just supply and demand. They'll push the envelope as far as they can to see how much a fan will really pay to go into a football game, and as long as people keep going, they'll get away with it. It's scandalous that Leeds are charging so much, but as people keep buying tickets, they're not going to stop anytime soon.

As for whether the English game itself is over-rated, then I guess you'd have to say yes. But someone put it well a page back - Scottish football should take a leaf out of England's book and promote themselves. Sky cream themselves over a mid-table battle and call it a Super Sunday by promoting the hell out of it. Sure, most fans can see through that, but given the amount of money in the English game at the moment, they're clearly doing something right.

Depends who you're listening to. Sky over hype it. Understandable as it's their biggest earner. P&B members generally over criticise it. Personally I think it's great to watch. Has been the best league in Europe in the past is probably number 3 now.

Archived