Ireland away - June 2015

paul-r-cfc

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forsyth > Robertson > Whittaker.

The former two have excellent delivery from out wide and both can beat a man. Forsyth is a better defender but Robertson is better attacking. Both left footed as well.

Whittaker is right footed, can't beat a man and always cuts inside. But he's probably the best at defending out of the three.

Depends on what strachans game plan is.

Forsyth > Robertson > Whittaker.

The former two have excellent delivery from out wide and both can beat a man. Forsyth is a better defender but Robertson is better attacking. Both left footed as well.

Whittaker is right footed, can't beat a man and always cuts inside. But he's probably the best at defending out of the three.

Depends on what strachans game plan is.

Not sure about this. We didn't really see anything of Forsyth in a defending sense vs Qatar. He looked good at sending intelligent balls forward (and falling on his arse when there was nobody near him), but has he ever really been tested defensively at this level?

While Robertson is definitely an attack-minded defender, he isn't bad at the defensive side of his game, it's just that he poses a risk of being out of position following an attacking run (same with Hutton, though Hutton sometimes doesn't even try to get back - see the Villa game where they got pumped 6-0, he just gives up and lets that guy score the first few goals of his hattrick!)

As an Irishman whos lived most his life in Scotland, there is still a fair bit of folk with hang ups over the Irish.

Simplifying why there are two groups for me:

Bigots- still plenty of them, but dying away no less.

Tartan army type hipsters- Those who try too hard to get people to think Scottish folk are awesome, but are annoyed that the irish are seen as the cooler funnier lot out of the celts.

Having a dislike or gripe for a paticluar nation is pretty pathetic to be honest. England would be a natural target for the irish but I dont really cheer when some random team scores against England as Im not 12 anymore.

As an Irishman whos lived most his life in Scotland, there is still a fair bit of folk with hang ups over the Irish.

Tartan army type hipsters- Those who try too hard to get people to think Scottish folk are awesome, but are annoyed that the irish are seen as the cooler funnier lot out of the celts.

Having a dislike or gripe for a paticluar nation is pretty pathetic to be honest. England would be a natural target for the irish but I dont really cheer when some random team scores against England as Im not 12 anymore.

Wtf did I just read?

That's a cool story.

Lacks dragons, though.

Totally agree with that, although i reckon it's going to be a tougher game this Saturday.

Ireland simply can't lose and will no doubt throw everything at us, which is either going to cost us, or allow us to exploit the space left behind as a result of them going gung ho. Who knows!

Our defence is what is giving me the biggest fear tbh. The center back pairing need to be rock solid and if Whittaker, or even Hutton, starts they'll need to be on top of their game and probably slightly more cautious in an attacking sense.

Brown will be key, i reckon.

Just noticed your reply bud.

Aye we are needing our key players to turn up. I have no worries about Brown, Naismith ect. they are experienced enough with Old Firm games and will know what is expected of them.

Martin & partner will need to stand strong. We will get pounded at times, it is going to be hard to watch with a lot of nervy moments. Hutton needs to be on his A game against Brady.

It is going to be a battle but we have the players that can really hurt them on the counter.

Being born and raised in a slum like Port Glasgow, Coatbridge or suchlike doesn't make you an Irishman I'm afraid.

Archived