Ireland away - June 2015

paul-r-cfc

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An immense weekend. The Irish couldn't have been any more welcoming. The Gardaí stood back and let the fans have a party round the town, and even got involved to an extent. Temple Bar was buzzing all weekend with fans and the atmosphere was one of a big party between the two sets of fans. Fantastic hosts and the Tartan Army were exemplary.

As for the game, the Irish were nothing but hoofball merchants, out to kick and elbow us off the park. McCarthy's challenge on Martin was a disgrace, with the only intent being to injure Martin. Hendricks had another in the second half which got let off with nothing more than a foul. The poor officiating again cost us this campaign, with the Irish goal being offside. An incredible number of decisions have gone against us this campaign, but we're still hanging well in there.

WGS got his team spectacularly wrong - Forsyth and Ritchie were horrific, and, although it didn't cost us, Charlie Mulgrew is not a centre back. When Anya came on, he pinned Coleman back and tore him apart as in November. Why Strachan didn't start Anya is totally beyond me, but it cost us dearly in the first half. The #scenes at the equaliser were immense, though the Irish round us looked pretty unhappy. Given how poorly we played first half, we'll take the point but it does leave a bitter taste in the mouth that poor decision making by the officials cost us two extra points there.

The Aviva is a stunning ground, light years ahead of Hampden.

A belter of a weekend. I seem to have a squishy bulge on my right which I don't remember having on Friday morning. At one point I required an emergency haircut as I discovered a large lump of tar on the back of my head. At least I'm telling myself it was tar and am not allowing myself to remember what Guinness does to the digestive processes. That poor woman in the barbers...

I was in premuim seating with access to a bar thus details of the game are hazy. Joy unbounded when we were scored, a moment (one of many) that will live with me. Thank you Dublin, Ireland, Garda, the Temple Bar area, indeed all the other pubs, barmen and barwomen, passers by, everyone. You are a good people and we love you.

A belter of a weekend. I seem to have a squishy bulge on my right which I don't remember having on Friday morning. At one point I required an emergency haircut as I discovered a large lump of tar on the back of my head. At least I'm telling myself it was tar and am not allowing myself to remember what Guinness does to the digestive processes. That poor woman in the barbers...

I was in premuim seating with access to a bar thus details of the game are hazy. Joy unbounded when we were scored, a moment (one of many) that will live with me. Thank you Dublin, Ireland, Garda, the Temple Bar area, indeed all the other pubs, barmen and barwomen, passers by, everyone. You are a good people and we love you.

^ ^ ^ Hamish Husband IMO

A pissed-up, dirty protest mid-game at Forsyth's performance?

We all saw you doing it on the telly cameras.

A pissed-up, dirty protest mid-game at Forsyth's performance?

We all saw you doing it on the telly cameras.

<Do you think there is any chance that it isn't jobbie?>

Aye, exactly so we had our chance of the World Cup taken away by a cheating b*****d & shite refs. You cannae say that we wouldnae have made it, we were cheated out of our chance.

OK, I'll bite one last time at this. I dinnae "desperately" look for Irishness cos I'm a Celtic fan, my dad & that whole side of my family is Irish. I was raised supporting Ireland cos it's my heritage & my heart is Irish. Always has been, always will be.

Is it cos I is Irish?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33156905

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Roy Keane has taken offence to the Paddy Power sign outside the Stadium and is sueing the bookies. Talking of bookies they've stopped taking bets on O Neill being in charge for their next game. He's off to Leicester City (again) by looks of it.

Archived