Ireland away - June 2015

paul-r-cfc

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decrying the lack of any world class players in the Scotland squad by comparing us like-for-like with a country the size of Poland is an interesting one.

Poland is a fantastic country.

If it was an individual beauty contest, or an affordability contest, we'd lose. Massively.

But football is a team game so you can have one or two world class players but in the end will come down to the respective teams. Poland are a little bit better than us, weren't they pot 2? Still we played well against them away and should have a good chance of getting a low score draw (thereby having better head to head) or even getting a victory against them.

Lets hope some of Polands travelling support likes it and stays. The men can go home.

To use an example, I'd say man-for-man, Dundee United, on paper have a stronger aquad than ICT, but ICT are clearly a better team. It's not as black and white as better players = better team.

The Poles - a great bunch of lads. Apart from on the 8th of October, at which point they become a bunch of wanks for 24 hours :angry:

They were Pot 3, actually, and only just - the lowest ranked, in fact, same as the Irish were the lowest ranked Pot 2 team. On paper, the Germans couldn't have asked for an easier group, considering that Gibraltar were bottom of Pot 6 (albeit by default, but I don't think anyone would really argue), and Georgia were the second-lowest ranked Pot 5 team.

The Poles were stymied a little by having one of their poorest sides until recently, so their UEFA ranking hadn't improved in time for these qualifiers; they're a solid Pot 2 team by anyone's standard, and a good measure stronger than Ireland. They'd surely come out on top against us in a run of 10 or 20 games between the current sides, but not by much. That draw in Warsaw has put us in a great position, and I wouldn't expect us to lose in October.

Poland werent really a tailend pot 3 level team, IMO

They hosted the last Euros and hosting a tournament (ie Going nearly three years without a competitive match) kills your coefficient

Exactly. Easy to forget they hardly played any competitive games over the last few years.

Poland werent really a tailend pot 3 level team, IMO

They hosted the last Euros and hosting a tournament (ie Going nearly three years without a competitive match) kills your coefficient

Course not - that's why I said "on paper" :P

They were really shite at Euro 2012, though, much like Switzerland and Austria at the one before. You can never know, obviously, but you've got to wonder if those three teams would've even qualified if they hadn't been the hosts.

One things for sure, Austria are certainly qualifying this time around. They've been brilliant.

Aye, they appear to be back. Wouldn't have expected them to be running away with that group at all.

Think I've just about got the last of the drink out of my system from the weekend. An excellent trip.

Got on the bus at 6am Friday from Cumbernauld and by 9am a guy had managed to get me a third ticket so that the three of us travelling together all had a ticket :). I ended up in the Ireland end but the locals round about me were brand new. Thankfully the game is on Sky Sports 5 in half an hour because I remember absolutely f**k all from it apart from the fact there were two goals.

Just watched the game back there because like yourself don't remember to much actually in the stadium, Al say somethin tho, Ireland's tactics of let's just elbow everyone in sight was shocking, they could easily have ended up with 9 men on the park

Just watched the game back there because like yourself don't remember to much actually in the stadium, Al say somethin tho, Ireland's tactics of let's just elbow everyone in sight was shocking, they could easily have ended up with 9 men on the park

They're a shocking rabble of a team, but what did they expect with O'Neil and Keane at the helm? Their fans were sound though, great bunch of lads.

Aye m8 their fans were sound and generally around the city was great, that wee arsehole that plays in the middle of the park for them was intent on hurtin somebody and then o' neill comes out and says Naismith reffed the game? Aye ok

Hospitality from all the Irish was first class, from the hotel to their fans to even the immigration officer, stewards and police. If any Irish fans are reading this, thanks a lot guys and you are all welcome in Scotland any time.

What a weekend that was!!! Still feeling tender today although only just got back yesterday. Me and my mate had a carry out in our hotel on Saturday from about 12:30pm then went out to a pub to watch the game. He saw the first 25 minutes then had to get a taxi back to his bed!!! Sunday he lasted until about 6:30pm before he was back in his bed. Some people aren't cut out for binge drinking but he still says he had a great time. Ha Ha.

Archived