Clyde moving to Shettleston?

I understand the reasons why Clyde are moving.

I just don't believe moving into Glasgow will help you attract a new fanbase especially a stones throw away from Celtic Park.

You'll always have your hardcore numbers attending, but long term, where would you see new fans coming from? Almost impossible for you to establish yourself as partner the community IMO

It's not even as if you'd pick up some fans when Celtic are playing away from home either since most of our games are on the TV.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't believe moving into Glasgow will help you attract a new fanbase especially a stones throw away from Celtic Park.

You'll always have your hardcore numbers attending, but long term, where would you see new fans coming from? Almost impossible for you to establish yourself as partner the community IMO

It's not even as if you'd pick up some fans when Celtic are playing away from home either since most of our games are on the TV.

I can't imagine that being any more of an aim of the club than it is now, as i've known plenty of people who popped along simply to watch a game for whatever reason. Retaining them as supporters was never an option for either party, to be truthful....Clyde have launched about four fan initiatives at Broadwood, and every single one of them has gone flatter than a witch's tit. In spite of the shite we have endured over the last six years, there is a fairly reasonably-sized young batch who go a lot more than i do, and from all over the place, not just Cumbernauld. If that were coupled with the older guard (if they weren't chased away) then we would easily be touching four figure home gates. Bear in mind Rico, not everyone is wowed by leagues and cups, and there will be some, not hundreds but potentially some, who become Clyde fans for a variety of reasons....family ties, the freshness of locality for many, or perhaps just because they enjoy it (stupid b*****ds). I genuinely don't think things could get any worse than they are right now, its definitely wirth the gamble.

I would like to see Clyde move somewhere and do well. Any ground with terracing would be better than Broadwood considering where they are in the leagues atm. Mental thinking just 13 year ago they were a bawhair away from the SPL.

Hope they push on wherever they end up moving to.

Ground is quite small with no room for expansion with the railway on one side and Old Shettleston Rd on the other side. Can't see this happening.

Not saying it will happen even though like adam on ma door step almost like many on here had with Shawfield & could leave their house at 2.50 and still make game,Thirty year o travellin fae dingwall to dumfries im due a HOME game...

Anyway re ground set up. I was at Shetto v talbot game on sat. Old fashioned seated area behind goal (Think old kilbowie) Part terracin on OSR side that could be extended to corner flag at stand end & from where i was standing looked like bit o land at railway side to at least run a bit o terracing like Alloa or Annan,We only really need a ground like Annan,One stand with rest terracing and if astro getting put down would allow us to make revenue with social club add ons

Football isn't like a clothes shop, or the pictures....you don't suddenly decide to start watching another team at the expense of your own, or allow your head to be turned by 'competition', unless you are a cock. Im sure Shettleston fans will have their opinions, and will probahly be voicing them and having them listened to more than we do. In event of both clubs going on to success from the same venue, i'd hardly see the conflict for locals who'd supported Shettleston in its heydays suddenly finding the Clyde v Morton or Airdrie matches any more attractive than when it was played at Shawfield, twenty minutes down the road.

Shettleston are trying to attract new supporters and are very active in the community. They would therefore be competing for that market

I can't see it happening anyway, not on the present site.

Could easily turn that into a couple of thousand capacity.

Edit:

Having looked at it on google maps, there is room for standing behind both goals (similar to Stirling Albion). At the railway side you could easily build a proper stand on one half, not so easy the other half (like raith). Space for decent terrace and clubroom at the other side.

Where ever we go, We wont make fans overnight. Football crowds down mostly everywhere including your own fella... Not holding out hope but anythings better than Broadwood or EK-Both middle o nowwhere

Just heard about this, certainly would be good move for Clyde on every front but don't see why Shettleston need to do it. Club could easily refurbish ground themselves . Did start few years back only to get into talks with Gcc re relocation. Don't know where they are with that now if anywere as this has been getting mentioned for years now. Could be a great partnership if it happens imo.Shettleston great club run by great people. Maybe our gaffer has decided to get himself a senior outfit lol. You could do a helluva lot worse.

Would be great move we don't need anymore than 3500 4000 capacity (cup games ) we need to get in somewhere people can walk up to ground good travel links social club and pubs etc will do me and hopefully we could have a good relationship with the junior team

ps one of the guys in the work has very close links to a good junior club he has been telling us for a good while there is no money in the junior game this weather teams are really struggling so might suite shettleston to ground share or sell it to us and get a lease deal

If this move on its not for money on shetto side I would think Shettleston better off than clyde

don't know enough about the junior game but if they do have more money than us then don't see why they would need us

anythings better than Broadwood or EK-Both middle o nowwhere

Broadwood is in the middle of cumbernauld, a community the club has continually failed to embrace. If as much effort had been put into relations here in the last 20 years as is now being put into chasing pipe dreams elsewhere we would be in a far better position.

Im sure moving into the shadow of parkhead will lead to floods of stay-aways and old firm fans without a bus fair attending though! Is that seriously the plan now that ek has gone tits up, whore the club around a bunch of junior grounds?

The club will lose a large section of 'regular' home attenders from the cumbernauld area by moving away. If they think a huge number of new untapped fans are waiting to take their place they are mistaken!

Archived