Clyde moving to Shettleston?

One query: if we're ruling out EK, any reason why we'd not share with Glencairn rather than moving to a new territory in Shettleston? According to Wikipedia (I know) it was us that didn't want to move to Glencairn's ground, rather than them not wanting us, and the stadium seems closer to being League standard than Shettleston's too.

Clyde saw any move to Glencairn as a takeover rather than a partnership. Not too suprisingly when the Glens were told the plans they told Clyde no. At that stage the ever honest Clyde board said the move was off due to Glencairn being unwilling. Fact was it was "give us your ground" and we will let you play on it.

Going forward the site at Shettleston is very tight, by the time facilities and standing/seating is put in place I think there will be major parking issues.

Great for transport links, right next to a train station and on one of the best served bus routes. From that point of view its a winner, but Dalmarnock/Rutherglen should have been the aim. The Clyde board missed a chance with Clyde Gateway and the Commonwealth Games.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If glencairn wanted us they would av...

Their ground..Their choice..Their loss

Problem was if Clyde moved in, it was no longer going to be Glens ground. Clyde made that plain. It was knock it down, start again and Glens could use it. It was Clyde that made that plain, Clydes ground. That is why the talks stopped.

Not dis-agree.ing. Just think their loss & im sure their playing surface would have welcomed us since your reserve team and Groundsman left. Fuk em. (Cue Glensmad arriving anytime soon)

Pitch and locals were a problem, nothing that could not have been sorted.

Tradition says that is the area you should have gone too.

Transport links says Shettleston, I just think that site is far too small.

Glencairn dont want us & reliable sources have told me their pitch is shocking so feeling mutual

Shettleston if true and if it happens would be tremendous for both teams

Mon board give us the info of there or somewhere & turn a disaster of a season into a good one and something to look forward to nxt season

I think you and i both know nothing will be forthcoming on the subject on anywhere near the scale it was three years ago. The EK debacle was an exercise in shifting responsibility, plain and simple. If Clyde are remotely serious about this, and they should be, then there are some among the leadership of the club who need to drop their delusions of grandeur, engage with a support which may be willing to give up its time to build the club a ground it deserves, and get the bloody thing dealt with. OR make a public statement announcung we are absolutely nowhere near finalising this neverending snuff film of an existence. Crushing as that would be, it would at least be a hint of truth. They wanted names and numbers quick enough with Langlands, would announcing this be seen as a defeat??

Is anyone actually certain our next move will be more than just a temporary one? As far as I can gather, our Chairman still believes the EK plan will happen but acknowledges it might take a bit longer for his EK Clyde plan to be realised.

Is anyone actually certain our next move will be more than just a temporary one? As far as I can gather, our Chairman still believes the EK plan will happen but acknowledges it might take a bit longer for his EK Clyde plan to be realised.

You "gather" wrongly then......on good authority, its a go-er and the finance is arranged to upgrade as required.

[quote name="Hammyton" post="9318442" timestamp="1427029302

Going forward the site at Shettleston is very tight, by the time facilities and standing/seating is put in place I think there will be major parking issues.

Great for transport links, right next to a train station and on one of the best served bus routes. From that point of view its a winner, but Dalmarnock/Rutherglen should have been the aim.

Can't agree on parking issues, there is the full length of Old Shettleston road, early birds will get in the Health Centre across the road. Duror St also long wide street along with various side streets. Not sure if the Greenfield council football parks would allow parking so that might be an option.

You "gather" wrongly then......on good authority, its a go-er and the finance is arranged to upgrade as required.

Point me in the direction of where this information is available then or give us some more info. I'm a fan and (reluctantly) an owner and I have "gathered" what I can from the situation from all the info the Board have given to me or the media.

I'm not against the move at all by the way but some details would be nice. Makes you wonder what the point of this ownership model is when clearly some people get more information than others.

I'm not against the move at all by the way but some details would be nice. Makes you wonder what the point of this ownership model is when clearly some people get more information than others.

Erm, you do know that there are two sides which can divulge information on such affairs? As has already been said by those who know anything, information has come from those affiliated with Shettleston.

Let's assume for a minute there is some truth to this rumour. Let's also assume we have ambitions to try and play our football in the championship again.

The second assumption will require money, and as we are fan owned this is going to have to come through the gates or in commercial sponsorship.

What is going to entice sufficient numbers through the door to watch this Clyde team in what is one of the most economically deprived areas of the country?

What initiatives are going to engender a local support and stop kids going to see their local junior team or the OF? All at the same time as create enough cash to build a team to take us up two leagues (with this manager)?

Name change aside I could at least envisage some commercial benefit in going to EK and engaging local people and businesses in the correct way. Shettleston I can't see offering anything but more of what we have.

I hope I am wrong!

Any move is a risk re walk up. Revenue or new business...

EK (Clyde) would have been another cumbernauld after 5yrs...New Team in New toon load o shite and already been tried n failed,Livingston for example had to hand out free tickets every sat with an average of 3-4000 fans until one day they played shire at home in the cup with a crowd o 600 turnin up when it was pay in match only..

Shettelston may not be a glitz n glamour but the folk in my neighbourhood are salt o earth & general working class who are more likely to embrace a fitba club more than your well off toff who stays in a 250k house in EK that doesnt want his Children of Harold,Sedrick and so on associated with so called general football riff raff whilst driving off in one of their 6 4x4s in their driveway to the local rugby club...

Lets just wait n see ah suppose. Some will like it,Some wont. Thats life

Point me in the direction of where this information is available then or give us some more info. I'm a fan and (reluctantly) an owner and I have "gathered" what I can from the situation from all the info the Board have given to me or the media.

Aye...nae bother....ill out the person just to keep you happy.

I think a 5-6,000 capacity ground could arise from the current layout no problem at all. It would be a lot tighter than Broadwood, obviously, which will be no bad thing. Down the OSR side you could easily have a 2,000 capacity main stand, with 2500-3000 seats along the Carntyne and down the Greenfield sides. The Budhill end i think you could easily squeeze another 1000 seats. Obvious issues could be locating entrances....one at the top of both Vesalius St and Chester St seems most logical, given the railway on the other side. As for parking, just use the Tesco.

Archived