Clyde moving to Shettleston?

I don't know many Clyde fans who have an issue with Cumbernauld, weather aside. Nor do I know many fans who have an issue with Broadwood as a football stadium - the issue with being in Cumbernauld, at Broadwood, is NLL. Obviously the original breakdown of the relationship is entirely self-inflicted but despite the efforts of recent boards, it remains a good facility which we can't generate any non-gate income from, and the relationship with NLL is still frosty at best. That alone would perhaps be workable, but the recent situation regarding floodlights/toilets is shoddy treatment of a tenant - intention to leave or not. When a tenant is paying for a service, they shouldn't have to put up with that.

With a dwindling fan base and a playing budget which has remained at the same level for years now, we have to seek new revenue streams. Attracting external investment in this climate and with our current ownership structure is proving very difficult, therefore improving the budget (and resultantly the squad, hopefully enticing some back) internally (through a shared social club, for example) is our only real hope of getting back to the Championship, which, even with considerably larger income, would be very hard to do within the new SPFL set-up. Broadwood can't/NLL won't offer us any opportunities to generate income, so we have had to seek alternative homes where this could be feasible. Cumbernauld isn't the issue, NLL are. I don't understand why some are saying Cumbernauld is constantly lampooned by fans - the town hasn't engaged with the club on any serious scale, but that is a failing of the club in the years following our move there.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the crowds initially at broadwood were really good and the club did go into the community ,the main reason it didnt work was when we went there we had alex smith in charge who made a complete pigs ear of the job ,it took us about 6 games to score our first goal at broadwood :lol: we then lurched from one hopeless board of directors to the next then over spent missed out on promotion,, then came the scalling down and paying back the debts . Under these circumstances we could have been based in the camp nou and it would still have been a disaster

certainly wouldnt call broadwood or cumbernauld a SH******* it just never worked out

as for shettleston I think it would be a great idea :thumsup2

Not sure if this had been discussed we elsewhere on the forum.

Was talking to a friend today and he mentioned Clyde have been in talks with Shettleston juniors about a possible groundshare.

Would moving back to Glasgow, especially in the east end be a good move for Clyde? I can't see how they would pick up a new fanbase being so close to Parkhead

Don't suppose you realise Clyde began in Barrowfield in 1877 which is 11 years before Celtic moved intae Celtic Park.

The east end is our original hame.

We would draw more support in Shettleston than we got in Cumbernauld.

Don't suppose you realise Clyde began in Barrowfield in 1877 which is 11 years before Celtic moved intae Celtic Park.

The east end is our original hame.

We would draw more support in Shettleston than we got in Cumbernauld.

It might be your original home, but we are no longer in the 1800's

Long term, I don't see where this support would come from tbh

Would it not come from Cumbernauld? Plenty of fans from Rutherglen, Glasgow and beyond have travelled to watch Clyde at Broadwood. I imagine most Cumbernauld fans could put up with a trip of less than an hour to watch Clyde at Shettleston.

Would it not come from Cumbernauld? Plenty of fans from Rutherglen, Glasgow and beyond have travelled to watch Clyde at Broadwood. I imagine most Cumbernauld fans could put up with a trip of less than an hour to watch Clyde at Shettleston.

Exactly. Which is why folk shouldn't talk about moving as though it's going to result in bigger crowds.

Right right. The problem with Cumbernauld being a convenient punchbag in all of this is the toeing of the club line by individuals every so often, and when they decide to take everyone else down with them. Im not making excuses, but the fact remains that even at our zenith point, we barely had more than 1200 in the home stand at any one match. Personally, i believe that would have been the number watching us wherever we played. Some feel different, and blame the locals for jaunting about in R and C tops than supporting their local team.....for me, thats how i feel about Rutherglen. Every second p***k went to Shawfield with their da, but then made other arrangements when they were older. Shit happens. If some are offended by the clubs remarks on the matter, then that makes more of us....they branded sections of the crowd 'the moronic element' in their award-winning publication all through the early and mid90s. The same moronic element which is revered by ex players galore. Simply, f*ck the club line...either support YOUR team, or don't. Clyde hwven't done the 'bugger all' that many are claiming here, but they have mismanaged what they did have, and can only get out of the mess by looking forward. Threats and excuses to not go, or to take the huff, then deciding to go back when its all fine and dandy is a bit childish, if its your club, then fight for it. Dont let the b*****ds beat you. Of those offended by the wording of the decision to relocate, how many acted upon it and demanded to know if that was the official.club line, or an opinion of a chairman trying to whip up a frenzy?? Its Clyde, not Chelsea...if you're upset, its fairly easy to make your views known. And more importantly, get a face to face with those you hold responsible. A sad state it is that 400 don't bother taking advantage of that fact.

Highlights appeared on Scotland Today the following night, with Jim White providing the voiceover. I had it taped on a VHS my old man had made up of Clyde related stuff off the telly, which included Sportscene headline appearances at Airdrie Falkirk and Dunfermline (Jim Rooney - glorious header!!). But i don't imagine it would be hard to track down. Eta ; the last match was in April.

Clyde can move wherever they damn well please, they still won't have any fans.

The grandstanding by these muppets when they got the move to Broadwood now the Council's a big bad man charging them too much rent!

Muppets! Your club was finished the day you sold Shawfield to clear you debts and that was generations ago.....

No sure how well known this footage is, but its from when your groundshare at Firhill was announced.

Wee bit of training footage at Shawfield, cup final winning goal and interview with Harry Haddock as well.

The grandstanding by these muppets when they got the move to Broadwood now the Council's a big bad man charging them too much rent!

Muppets! Your club was finished the day you sold Shawfield to clear you debts and that was generations ago.....

Pretty impressive that a club managed to win the Scottish Cup three times after being "finished".

Highlights appeared on Scotland Today the following night, with Jim White providing the voiceover. I had it taped on a VHS my old man had made up of Clyde related stuff off the telly, which included Sportscene headline appearances at Airdrie Falkirk and Dunfermline (Jim Rooney - glorious header!!). But i don't imagine it would be hard to track down. Eta ; the last match was in April.

Ditto. I used to have that "and Clyde even won" Jim White Scotland Today report also. Maybe STV still have in archives

Wrong, Shawfield wasn't "sold" to clear any debts. Two directors set up the GRA to get around a ruling about a club hosting animal sports, the lucrative greyhound racing at the time

It was smoke & mirrors & after only a few years the paperwork was transferred over with the money earned from the dugs affording the rebuild of Shawfield Park to Shawfield Stadium as it is today

Fine in the short term, but relied on having a foot in both camps long term. And inevitably they didn't

Greed caused it, not debt

Short termism. The mistakes that have been made due to that. Not that people would make that same mistake again...

Incidentally it was the CDA who invited Clyde to move to Cumbernauld as they were winding up, about to be replaced by the council, & ironically had a surplus budget to build the development

hope that helps Kermit

Shettleston have a decent enough ground with space still available on two sides to add more seating and terracing, so that sounds moderately sensible given it is a lot closer to traditional Clyde territory than Cliftonhill would be. Clyde don't have any ideal options to go for at this point. Just need to install a set of devil's lanterns, basically, and a 3G pitch would probably also help.

Shut up ya dick. That is all.

Got told today by reliable source clyde move to Shettleston a definite! Can't wait! Clyde game one week Shettleston the next! Do me fine! Ground to be upgrade can't wait! Look out scottish premier league and scottish junior premier league! Clyde and shetto on the March!!!

Archived