The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

Do you lot think McKenzie would suit us?
Hopefully. I always wanted Rory to be the type of player who would go on and play 400+ games for Kilmarnock, but he's fallen into a bit of a rut, and successive managers haven't been quite able to get him out of it with any kind of regularity.

Despite a lot of average performances, I think he retains a disproportionate affection from the supporters because his energy and enthusiasm is first class - he's just been unable to turn out the quality required at the top level.

I'm really hoping that a change of scenery will suit him in the way it has for Mark O'Hara.

8 hours ago, Estragon said:

I'm really hoping that a change of scenery will suit him in the way it has for Mark O'Hara.

Agree with this.  There's an equal chance of him doing well with another SPL side than there is of him dropping down the divisions IMO.

It seems like every year we think it's going  to finally click for Rory, as he tends to be great in pre-season.  The truth is though that he's only a stand-out as his fitness and energy levels at that time of year are better than others.

Like O'Hara, Rory never really found a natural position at Killie.  

Good luck to the lad if he does move on- fans are called fickle for championing players who bust a gut but are ineffective, but sheer effort has been a rare thing in some of the shite Killie teams over  the past 5 years.

21 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

This is absolutely fucking outrageous.  The second time inside a week (first being Gordon Greer) that the great media machine has taken a completely innocuous line from a Killie player, and attached a sensationalist headline suggesting that the manager is on his way out the club already.

What exactly is Kris Boyd saying here?  If you're successful in football then you'll get a bigger opportunity - well, aye...that is historically how things tend to go.  It's hardly a new philosophy completely out of the blue.

Nobody can be under any illusion that Steve Clarke isn't going to attract attention given the immediacy with which he's improved a club that had been on its knees for the better part of a decade - there is absolutely no need for this kind of tabloid pish from what was once a reputable newspaper.

It is a massive coup for Kilmarnock.  Whether this is the manager's last job in Scotland, I don't know. There is no doubt Kilmarnock pushed the boat out as far as they possibly could to get him in.

Boyd certainly talks up the manager, which he has every right to do. Not sure why he bangs on about the food chain thing though. There are obviously certain factors that attracted Clarke to the job which are alluded to but then negated with more 

If the right offer comes along and the right financial package is there for you to go and improve yourself, you are going to leave wherever you are.

We could be looking at a McInnes mk 2 media splurge?

The grass isn’t always greener, Lee Clark did the exact same thing last year and moved on to “bigger and better”. He’s right back to the position he was before he moved on.
Maybe just maybe Steve Clarke wants try something different and build a new team and reinvigorate a struggling club, a social experiment. Maybe he’s actually enjoying his job and wants to see how it goes. Why would he want all the shite and hassle that goes with That Club.
Who knows, it’s only my opinion.

The Birmingham Mail claim Aston Villa midfielder Aaron Tshibola is being monitored by Scottish Premiership side Kilmarnock, as well as a number of the Killies' domestic rivals.

Tshibola, 22, is expected to leave Villa Park after failing to make an impression with the Midlands giants, instead being loaned out to Nottingham Forest during the second half of the 2016-17 campaign and MK Dons this time around.

His loan spell with MK Dons was cut short after 12 appearances as he failed to have the desired impact, a long way away from the potential and hype surrounding the central midfielder after his £5million switch from Reading to Villa.

Roberto Di Matteo decided to splash owner Dr. Tony Xia's cash on the midfielder after former assistant manager Steve Clarke had recommended him following his time at Reading. Now, Clarke is in charge of Kilmarnock.

He wants to form a reunion with the midfielder for a second time after working with him at both Championship sides, but faces competition from a number of other Scottish Premiership sides ahead of the January transfer window.

A loan move is expected to be secured for the one-time England Under-18 international, with Bruce unwilling to consider him for selection as he remains behind the likes of Conor Hourihane, Mile Jedinak, Glenn Wheland and Henri Lansbury in the midfield pecking order.

Some Killie news -

We won't be signing Bassong, as confirmed at the AGM last night.

The development team battered Falkirk's development team 6 - 1 last night.

And lastly, and most importantly, Bobby Williamson is battling cancer and currently receiving treatment in India - fingers crossed for him.

14 hours ago, Fide said:

And lastly, and most importantly, Bobby Williamson is battling cancer and currently receiving treatment in India - fingers crossed for him.

Yes, good luck to Bobby Williamson.  I remember writing him a letter about 15-16 years ago, moaning about lots of different things that were happening at Killie, and he phoned me at my house a week or so later.  

Initially he gave me a hard time defending himself, as you would expect, but we ended up on the phone for about an hour and had a great chat.   I got a far better understanding of the issues he faced and he could see why I was frustrated with lots of goings on and could see how he got frustrated with players not following his instructions.  He also invited me down to watch the team training one day, which I did while they trained at Kirkstyle cricket ground. 

He totally changed my opinion about him as a consequence and I wish him well and hope he fully recovers. 

Edited by paul wright scores

14 hours ago, Fide said:

Clarke said last night that, depending on the next 3 results, if they go well he only expects to bring in 1 or 2 players in January (budgets/money permitting) but gave nothing away own they were.   I would expect at least one to be a forward. 

14 hours ago, Fide said:

Some Killie news -

The development team battered Falkirk's development team 6 - 1 last night.

Wishing BW all the best as he battles his biggest fight ever.

Yes, good luck to Bobby Williamson.  I remember writing him a letter about 15-16 years ago, moaning about lots of different things that were happening at Killie, and he phoned me at my house a week or so later.  
Initially he gave me a hard time defending himself, as you would expect, but we ended up on the phone for about an hour and had a great chat.   I got a far better understanding of the issues he faced and he could see why I was frustrated with lots of goings on and could see how he got frustrated with players not following his instructions.  He also invited me down to watch the team training one day, which I did while they trained at Kirkstyle cricket ground. 
He totally changed my opinion about him as a consequence and I wish him well and hope he fully recovers. 

Where exactly was Kirkstyle cricket ground? A search suggests it was where the Powerleague is now but that site doesn't appear big enough to have housed a cricket pitch. Did part of it verge onto where the post office depot is as well?

Where exactly was Kirkstyle cricket ground? A search suggests it was where the Powerleague is now but that site doesn't appear big enough to have housed a cricket pitch. Did part of it verge onto where the post office depot is as well?

Not sure about the post office but I think it was pre-Asda and ran into that area. My papa was the secretary of the the cricket social club there until it closed. I was only wee at the time though must’ve closed about 1998.

8 hours ago, energyzone said:

Not coming from Kilmarnock I don't know all the street names, but it is where the Powerleague is, at the back of Asda.   The A71 ran alongside it and my thoughts were the same as yours in that I was surprised how small it was. 

Kilmarnock Cricket. Club had the smallest “pitch “ in the west of Scotland league and I’m sure had the highest run rate too . My dad took me there every Saturday during the summer and we’d climb over the fences into `Barclays / Glenfield ? and play in the yards .iirc you accessed it from Campbell. Street 

1 hour ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Kilmarnock Cricket. Club had the smallest “pitch “ in the west of Scotland league and I’m sure had the highest run rate too . My dad took me there every Saturday during the summer and we’d climb over the fences into `Barclays / Glenfield ? and play in the yards .iirc you accessed it from Campbell. Street 

One of the stalwarts of Kilmarnock Cricket Club Bobby Hill recently died.  You may know him