When did you give up on Labour?

Scary Bear

For those who have voted for them in the past, when did you decide you could never vote for them again?

For me, it was during the referendum campaign, when they backed the Tories with talk of border guards.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-ed-miliband-raises-prospect-of-guards-along-the-border-if-scotland-votes-yes-9716639.html

That really pissed me off.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd spent a good deal of time before the referendum actually wondering what Labour did for our area and country as a whole, but voted Labour because, well, that's what you do. It's what my Dad did, his Dad and so on and so on.

I think the referendum campaign sealed it for me. Seeing Labour and Tories standing side by side and worse, seeing Labour actively talk down Scotland at every opportunity (which they still do - see Kezia Dugdale re GERS figures and NHS ) was where I had finally had enough of them.

I don't know about anyone else, but they have burnt their fucking bridges with me. Their true colours showed during the referendum and now they fucking disgust me.

I feel so superior that I have never voted for them. I started witnessing their corruption when I was a at a husting at the age of five, along with the totally above board council house allocation system. Lord Robertson used to be my union general secretary and sold us out to the employers. David Lambie was my MP for years and all it was for him was a job for life. I could go on and on bringing up individual cases but there is no point. The people have woken up to just what they are, and have been for years.

Around about 1996, not long before Blair's landslide. The single biggest reason was some guy called Jim Murphy.

I was a student in Glasgow coinciding with Murphy's tenure as head of the NUS and his campaign against grants in favour of loans and potential tuition fees. Even then he had a reputation as a guy not to be trusted and for all the platitudes we all felt that he was pulling the ladder up behind him in terms of working class access to higher education. Certainly without saddling us with a layer of debt before we even graduated. It made me distrust "New" Labour before they even got elected.

The c**t was as far removed from John MacLean and Manny Shinwell as could be.

I got a 2:1. Jim got rich.

I feel so superior that I have never voted for them. I started witnessing their corruption when I was a at a husting at the age of five, along with the totally above board council house allocation system. Lord Robertson used to be my union general secretary and sold us out to the employers. David Lambie was my MP for years and all it was for him was a job for life. I could go on and on bringing up individual cases but there is no point. The people have woken up to just what they are, and have been for years.

To be fair, I've only voted for them once. It was more that I hadn't ruled them out completely until recently.

I was a member of the Labour Party from 1977 to 1996 and a Labour Councillor from 1986 to 1996. I had become increasingly disillusioned about the direction the party had been going for some time and let my membership lapse at the end of my tenure as a Councillor. I have never voted Labour since.

I know it is trendy to talk about Red Tories and Blue Tories and I understand why but there was a point when the Labour Party did represent left-of-centre values. Sadly many saw the Thatcher years as an excuse to pull Labour to the right to capture the 'middle ground'. These people included influential figures like Blair and Mandelson; I have no idea why either of these men ever joined the Labour Party as they never had any affinity with what it stood for at the time of their joining.

My father was a Labour Councillor back in the day.

Had a Labour Party guy on the phone the other day, asking who I was voting for.

Told him I used to vote Labour, but that I never would again.

Tony Blair changed The Labour Party irrevocably.

They're not worth a fucking light.

I've never voted for them. Even voted Tory once (mitigating circumstances...honest)

I think that tells you I've never been in harmony with them. However what finally removed them from my voting thoughts was Seeing Kinnock's celebration rally in Sheffield the night before the 1992 election. Basically if an entire movement can be that fucking stupid then they do not deserve my vote. Blair cemented that they would never again be in my voting thoughts.

Gordon Brown is Labour's version of Maggie Thatcher.

Thatcher_01_71438b.jpg

What's interesting so far here is that a load of us "veteran" types who actually recall a Labour party with a Labour outlook all seem to have turned our back for more or less the same reason.

The current set up make the SDP look like red fucking clydesiders by comparison! Noone is advocating a return to the militant tendency days when they infiltrated under Michael Foot. But the current wishy washy American Democrat thing is not fit for purpose.

I wish some of the younger ones would read about the origins and early history of the Labour Party because we're heading back to the days of the "undeserving poor" and for big business read dark satanic mills. How Labour saw Scotland too at the outset is an eye opener too.

Only got into politics about a year before the referendum, I really didn't understand why they were taking such a strong unionist stance, a lot of their campaigning for a no vote was absolutely embarassing IMO.

I hate them. Absolutely hate them, hypocritical lying arseholes.

I view labour voters now in the same way the bad guy psycho in a movie views his victim begging for his/her life. I have so little respect for the servile, simpering b*****ds that I cannot wait for the proverbial bullet to the head that the GE will bring to SLAB.

Lying arseholes like Murphy, Sarwar and Dugdale represent everything that's wrong with these c***s. Their constant talking down of Scotland is a disgrace and it's especially sweet that Scotland will effectively destroy their careers.

I've never voted for them. Even voted Tory once (mitigating circumstances...honest)

I think that tells you I've never been in harmony with them. However what finally removed them from my voting thoughts was Seeing Kinnock's celebration rally in Sheffield the night before the 1992 election. Basically if an entire movement can be that fucking stupid then they do not deserve my vote. Blair cemented that they would never again be in my voting thoughts.

I think that's the single most boak inducing moment of British politics I've ever seen. I'm actually glad he never won just for that moment.

I've never actually voted and nearly got into a fight when asked who I was voting for and I replied 'I'm not voting for a lying b*****d, therefore I'm not voting'. Never seen anyone I could associate myself with politically, until the referendum. Now I'm an SNP member and do some local community work.

Scotland has lost the three main parties since all three failed to represent us. Labour going tory, tory being tory and LibDems being tory beatches. Labour, and LibDems are now facing the same future that the tories have had for a generation, and hell mend the c***s.

I view labour voters now in the same way the bad guy psycho in a movie views his victim begging for his/her life. I have so little respect for the servile, simpering b*****ds that I cannot wait for the proverbial bullet to the head that the GE will bring to SLAB.

Lying arseholes like Murphy, Sarwar and Dugdale represent everything that's wrong with these c***s. Their constant talking down of Scotland is a disgrace and it's especially sweet that Scotland will effectively destroy their careers.

Why don't you come off the fence and tell us what you really think.

Archived